XCd recommendations: MN

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
borchjd

XCd recommendations: MN

Post by borchjd » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi All,

Been lurking and learning so long and so much - I figured it's time to ask people's opinion in the most straightforward way possible. I've had every manner of old xc ski - most without metal edges, NN, NNN - I'm 6ft2in and 210lbs and do several pulk sled trips a year on big frozen lakes here and in the BWCAW. My Epoke 1000s finally are needing replaced, so I'm looking at end of season deals to save a little $$$ for next year.

Current Boots: Whitewoods 75mm, Alico Ski March 75mm, Baffin mukluk 75MM (awesome boots btw for BWCA trips).

I'm looking ski mostly on snowmobile trails and off trail - with the occasional downhill (possibly with some trees). I'd say 75% of my skiing is on frozen lakes and 25% is on some downhill. BTW: I am a terrible downhill skier but am practicing with tele turns on my 3 pins which I'm starting to pick up.

I definitely want a skin for pulling my sled - I used one on my Epoke's and really liked them.

So what ski/skin combo would be best for most of those conditions? I am not above getting 1 ski/binding combo this year, and 1 ski/binding combo next year to get the best of both worlds. I may also do 1 or 2 Wyoming or Montana foothills XCD trips a year.

Skis I had in mind:
-Fischer e99
-Fischer S-bound 98
-Altai Hoks

I have size 14 feet and not the best at turns - so a ski that's a little wider in the waist and can initiate a turn a little easier is a plus.

Thanks all!

PS: New pair of Voile Switchbacks for sale if anyone is interested. I bought a set last year to match with my ice climbing boots (which did work, thanks Tom M), but they ski like crap in Koflach Degrees (my mistake).

Josh

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Re: XCd recommendations: MN

Post by wabene » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 am

Hey Josh
I've done those BWCA trips and I pulled my toboggan with 145cm Hoks on the recommendation of my more experienced companions. Meanwhile they had moved on to Fisher E88's and it was a struggle to keep up with them. I plan on using my new Madshus M62's with the Transition skins next time. There are those here who can give you better advise, I would say a ski with a removable skin is the way to go. With the Fischer Off-track crown, my friends only used the skins on steep portage trails.I still also bring a fast, thinner double camber ski for fun day trips from base camp.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am

Quick reply just to say "not Hoks" given 75% frozen lakes (and I like Hoks a lot).

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:20 am

Telekid just got a new set of e99's at 190....they have a place for skins in the main body....I took his new 99's out for a spin and they went up real good and the down was delightful....It's like having slippers on but they slice and turn beautifully....Long distance and on ice and trails a longer 99 is in order...205 and up....Probably a 210 would work well....Good luck and have a great trip....

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:31 pm

Hello and Welcome Josh!
borchjd wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 pm
Skis I had in mind:
-Fischer e99
-Fischer S-bound 98
-Altai Hoks
These are VERY different skis.
Why are you considering each of them? Might help us- help you- figure out what you are looking for.
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

borchjd

Post by borchjd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:07 pm

Thank you all for the quick feedback!

-SB98s for better turning but they still glide
-Hoks - well, they just look darn fun
-E99s for the snappy, quick glide and doable turns.

I think the best recommendation I have found (from a PM) was to look at the excursion 88s. They seem to K&G well, removable skin so I can cruise around quickly after I make basecamp, and with heavy boots (my Alico SMs or T4s), they can make a decent turn. I think that adequately meets my 75/25 for touring lakes/rollers with a few turns added in for fun.

If I want a real tree/cruiser/powder/shuffle ski...I think the hok is best used on fun day outings where we are off track in the woods and hills - for anything else...it looks like the E88 would better suit my wide, 14 size feet and weight.

Anyone disagree? Appreciate all the responses - this forum is like a guide book for all things skiing. These pages should be added to the Library of Congress.

Josh

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:12 pm

The first skis which came to mind from your description were Åsnes Combat Nato (waxable ski). If the snow is usually very consolidated a narrower ski eg. Åsnes Gamme or Fischer E99 would do. On the other hand if there is always some form of powder an Åsnes Ingstad may be OK too. But it may be overkill for the 75% lake skiing.

If you want waxless, I can only recommend Fischer from my own experience. Fischer E99 Crown, Traverse 78 or Excursion 88 all seem to fit the general ticket. The E99 Crown is the fastest of these but does not come with a skinlock for short skins. Traverse 78 and Excursion 88 are fine skis, reviews here suggest they perform similarly except the 88 is a bit slower XC, but has more flotation.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:03 pm

Josh I will say if you are in on the excursion 88 you might also consider the traverse 78. Skiing in the BWCA is primarily on the lakes and you will be happier on the 78's on the lakes, it will pull your sledge and the portage downhills while they can be steep they are short and infrequent. Then when you go for a ski the k&g will be better. I think you can get a 199 instead of the 189 on the 88's, so floatation is a wash and really how deep is our snow usually anyway?

Good luck

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ
Ski style: Mixed xcountry offtrack/bc
Favorite Skis: Asnes NATO BC so far
Favorite boots: Still searching

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 pm

I've skied the Fischer E 88s all this season and, while the traction pattern is probably great for pulling a sled, the Nordic rocker makes them less than ideal for breaking trail. The NR is nice when going downhill so that they plane up on the snow, but considering how poorly they turn its a bit paradoxical how much NR they have.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:56 pm

borchjd wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 pm
...I am not above getting 1 ski/binding combo this year, and 1 ski/binding combo next year to get the best of both worlds. I may also do 1 or 2 Wyoming or Montana foothills XCD trips a year.
Excellent idea!!
I ski in Wyoming "foothills" and am also pretty sketchy going downhill (notice my user name).
I recently bought Voile V6 BC's which have helped open up significantly more terrain for me -- much more confident on the down. I also like how well they climb. I'm using 3-pin cable with Scarpa T3's. I am impressed with how well they tour for a wider and flatter ski. This is not a big issue for me because my wife is on the same skis rather than faster ones. (Having skis that match well with companions is a good idea.) We previously did this type of skiing with Karhu 10th Mtn. or Fischer Boundless (similar dimensions).
The Voile UltraVector should be more versatile -- if you are not always in Wyoming powder. I found the link below to be helpful in explaining the 2 different Voile designs (they now have a tweener design in the Manti waxable. If you don't want waxless, you have even more Voile options.
Have fun!
(No, I don't work for Voile, just jazzed about my new skis.)
https://www.voile.com/blog/do-i-want-th ... id-rocker/