How small is too small? Shell fit on Excursions.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Spiny Norman

How small is too small? Shell fit on Excursions.

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:45 am

Hi All,

Just got an almost new pair of Scott Excursions delivered yesterday. (Thanks Mike See). They are a 27.5 mondo. The scaffo is stamped as a 27.5. My largest foot is 27.4cm as measured. I wear 27.5 alpine boots, the 27.5/28 Scarpa tele boots, size 10/28 snowboard boots, and 44 hikers.

I knew I was taking a risk they would be too small. But Scott/Head inc. told me they are not planning to offer these boots next season so I'd thought i would give them a try.

The shell fit test allows me to snugly get a 3/8ths dowel behind my heel.

Should I bother trying to make these work?

Just walking around the house I have tried put some US10.5 koflach liners, and some 28 mp dynafit Custom ready liners and they feel alright but really just alright.

So without dropping $$ for new thermoform liners or getting them punched do I stand a chance of making them work?

Thanks

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: How small is too small? Shell fit on Excursions.

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 am

If they're almost new, I'd expect them to pack out a bit. The fit sounds right, do they not come with thermo-fittable liners?

I guess I should ask, is it 3/8th of an inch behind your heel with you toes touching the front (good), or 3/8's of an inch with you toes folded over and pressed hard against the front (probably not good)?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Toes were not squished into the front but they weren't just brushing the front either.

If this were a downhill oriented boot I think the fit 9performance) would work out. I'm worried about a multi hour multi mile fit.

Thanks

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Boy, that's a real judgement call. If you were to err, in your experience with touring, do you think slightly too small is better than slightly too big? That has been the case in my limited experience.

If there are other aspects that you don't like, such as hot spots, I'd move on. Otherwise, I think I'd try them for a while.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:29 pm

Its been a while since my Libero's. I haven't toured in plastic boots in quite a while. Been mostly nnn-bc stuff but my ankles have evaporated so I thought I'd try the Excursions.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:47 pm

IMO the best thing about Excursions is the all day long comfort and warmth they provide when they fit right. Any compromise in comfort runs counter to the primary function of these boots for me.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:52 pm

Based on your pic connyro, we share a similar skiing style. Do you find your comfort on the snug side or a looser fit?

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:42 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:52 pm
Based on your pic connyro, we share a similar skiing style. Do you find your comfort on the snug side or a looser fit?
I prefer a snug fit with Excursions. I had to fiddle with footbeds and socks for perfect fit.

Haha. Not a photo of me. I just happen to love the fatally-contorted-jeans-wearing-goodness of that photo. If it were me, I'd look even more clumsy

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:55 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:45 am
Should I bother trying to make these work?
If they're "almost new", then probably never been baked more than once. I'd try baking the liners. Put an extra thick toe cap on the toes inside the liner while it's cooling, will compress the liner little more in the front and create a little extra space. Just stay off the jumps, or could be jamming your toes each time you land! Other than that, should be ok.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:03 pm

The Excursions do not have thermo moldable liners.