Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99 (now Transnordic 66)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99 (now Transnordic 66)

Post by Woodserson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:14 am

***2021 UPDATE: This ski is now known as the Fischer Transnordic 66 and, as of 21/22 season, remained unchanged except for the name. Still available in both Crown and Wax w/ EZ-Skin.***

I feel compelled to proclaim my love for Fischer E99 Crown Xtralites. I have more than a few pairs of a skis and they are all great, but my E99's are this steady trusted friend in the background, muted and quiet, but always dependable, always ready to go. I totally take them for granted. I gush over all my other skis, talk them up, "yakyakyak," but I lately realized that I avoid the fact that I put more XC miles on my modest E99 than any other. They just end up on my feet and away I go.

(How come they are now harder (almost impossible) to find in the North American market? Fischer, yo! Wake up!)

It's probably the most accessible backcountry touring XC ski for most recreational skiers with good K&G experience, the most bang for the buck. It hits all the major points somewhere squarely in the middle: price, stability, glide, grip, rocker.... They are not "the best of the best" but they do so much over a broad spectrum without major complaint. If you are on a budget and you want a traditional length classic XC ski for non-groomed snow, the E99 is it. It's an easy choice.

Yes, they are light and not super torsionally rigid in the shovel, and not everyone loves them, and it can be argued that other skis in this class are better. I won't disagree, this isn't about "best" but "most used" and whenever snow conditions are kind of weird I go for the E99, it just happens. The Offtrack Crown is excellent, the rocker is just right... It's just the ski for when you don't know the conditions before hand or or there's two inches of sleet and slush on the lake, or you want to go tap-dance some chewed up granular snowmobile trail, or you are feeling lazy and just want to ski and not think about it. The E99 rocks for this!

I bought a back-up pair late last season, 19/20 model, and I weighed them, they came within 3 grams of my older ('11/'12?) pair. 3 grams! That's Fischer Precision right there. It's a consistent product.

Sure, my Asnes Gammes are stronger. Flashier. Faster. With a more pronounced wax pocket. They are also heavier and stiffer. I love my Gammes. They are the cream of the cream, a shining beacon of what it means to be a high end ski in the E99 class. It's like a Bugatti to a Miata. If I'm going to do a long distance wilderness trip, I will bring the Gammes. But when I want to do a messy lunchtime K&G though the rolling hills in New Hampshire real quick like and it's 38degF outside and it hasn't snowed in a week... E99 Crown. They basically live in the back of my car the entire winter, I just leave them in there.

The Fischer E99 Crown just works, grinding away in the background. The E99 is the grand-daddy of the E99 class ski, a dependable ski for decades now, and it continues to be. I love you Fischer E99!

I've posted this picture before, but here are some Fischer E99 powder-8's:

2018-02-25 17.06.42.jpg
For reference I'm 6'2" and 158lbs or so without gear and I ride the 205cm everyday, and would like 210 for flat lake travel or geared up with backpack.

EDIT TO ADD

Here is LC's review on the E99, with community discussion. He swings through many opinions over several posts and the discussion is interesting, NUANCED, and thought provoking. A worthy read on this worthy ski.
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... c74029c920

Good read
Last edited by Woodserson on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

greatgt

Re: Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99

Post by greatgt » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 am

It's amazing what one can do on that ski.....Ski up....ski down.....cruise all around.....With speed they can be the best powder ski in the world....Been skiing them for decades....last set bought were for Telekid a few years back and he has come to love them....When he posts his picture shows him popping a ledge with 99's....109's are good too but not in the same way that a 99 is...New 99's have rocker????? Would like to take a set for a ride....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:10 am

I don’t need more skis! I don’t need more skis! I don’t need more skis!
Besides I get good results with red/silver, and even stay mostly goo free!

Okay all of the above is true, but is the crown version difficult to find?

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:35 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:10 am
I don’t need more skis! I don’t need more skis! I don’t need more skis!
Besides I get good results with red/silver, and even stay mostly goo free!

Okay all of the above is true, but is the crown version difficult to find?
If you want to buy them in Canada, there is this family owned store that have them in stock. You know the kind of store where you can talk directly to the owner... https://www.andrejac.com/skis-de-fond-f ... d=29127854

I have no idea if they ship outside Canada and have no idea about the duty. But I know for sure that it can be really expensive to buy from the US for us. I just got an order from freeheellife and I was flabbergasted by the cost of duties... are not we suppose to have free trade between our contry :?

Lars_Danner
Ski style: Classic
Favorite boots: Fischer Comfort Pro

Post by Lars_Danner » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:23 am

I picked up a pair in the spring I'm really looking forward to giving them a try this winter. I may ski then to Nome, we'll see.
IMG_20200922_072306.jpg
Lars Danner

See my blog at: LarsDanner.blogspot.com
See my Facebook group at: Adventure Nordic Skiing--Alaska

Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Post by Telecat » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:49 pm

In my one season of XCd skiing (in which I quickly bought a pair of asnes ingstads) but first bought old used E99. I agree.

They're an amazing ski for just about everything I've tried them on. I ended up XC skiing way more than I ever thought I would. I thought it would just be a quicker hobby to get in more skiing in when I didn't have time to get up the mountain to the resort.

They are great for everything I've tried from groomed trails to backcountry trails. They handled turns on groomed XC trails amazingly, and they are excellent to do anything with in the backcountry.

My ONLY complaint is the lack of float I got in fresh deep snow. A lot of sinking and drag. Though the set I have are older with no tip rocker. Im sure that makes a big difference in float.

Im 6'2" and 205(currently) and i wish they were 5-10cm longer. But 210 seems like the modern cutoff in length for skis. What is the deal with that??

Oh yeah and what's the deal with them being hard to find in America?? When my old pair dies the next ones will be something I buy brand new, theyre absolutely worth the splurge (I don't buy a lot of brand new gear).

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:18 pm

Telecat wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:49 pm
In my one season of XCd skiing (in which I quickly bought a pair of asnes ingstads) but first bought old used E99. I agree.

They're an amazing ski for just about everything I've tried them on. I ended up XC skiing way more than I ever thought I would. I thought it would just be a quicker hobby to get in more skiing in when I didn't have time to get up the mountain to the resort.

They are great for everything I've tried from groomed trails to backcountry trails. They handled turns on groomed XC trails amazingly, and they are excellent to do anything with in the backcountry.

My ONLY complaint is the lack of float I got in fresh deep snow. A lot of sinking and drag. Though the set I have are older with no tip rocker. Im sure that makes a big difference in float.

Im 6'2" and 205(currently) and i wish they were 5-10cm longer. But 210 seems like the modern cutoff in length for skis. What is the deal with that??
Which ones did you get, can you please post a picture of them? Crown, I'm assuming?

The rocker won't help float much, and it actually slows the ski down a little bit on firm snow. The rocker helps the tip ride over the bumps and the snow, which is good, unless there is crust and then you are breaking the crust with the ski behind the rocker, which is bad. This is when you want a ski with no rocker. The rocker also helps with turning.

As far as to length... yeah, get in line with that question. It's probably a balance between manufacturing and shipping.

Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Post by Telecat » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:30 pm

I should clarify im 205 lbs naked lol. My ski length is 210. And right i think a 215 or 220 would be just the slightest bit better.

Im not sure how old these are. But here's front and back pics, they were mounted with voile mountaineer 3 pins, and my boots are alpina alaskas.
received_834996423702160.jpeg
received_370190307487910.jpeg

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Longer ski glide better because they are longer. However the Amundsen Fram is made for a skier pulling a pulk or a heavy pack. It’s available waxless. Btw my Gamme flies at 210 cm and my. 190 lbs.
https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/amundsen-fram-bc/

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:20 pm

I've skied on E99's since the late 1970's when the first green E99's with aluminum edges came on the market, which was the upgrade of the earlier Fischer 77, iirc. Back then we were using mushy Alfa touring boots and had no ability to really turn any ski, but the E99s were a start.
Since then I've owned one or more pair of various generations of E99's. Even now, with other favorites in the rack, I'll still grab a pair of E99s for some tours. Great skis. I have a pair of 25 year old blue waxless 205's with a good nordic camber, that kick and glide wonderfully, probably because those tough laminated wood cores are still working as they should, and I think mebbe two more pair of waxable E99's of a bit newer vintage are hiding on the back side of the garage ski rack.
I've probably done nearly every 10th Mtn. Hut at one time or another on E99's, and for touring with big packs on non-tracked or packed trails they work just fine. Not so good for turning in funky or icy snow conditions, or breaking trail in deep snow, but not bad either. I like their light wt., and the camber for kicking and gliding vs. sliding with alpine cambered skis, so it's a backcountry compromise worth taking when much of the traveling involves long stretches of snow covered roads and trails.
Would I take a pair of E99s up to a hut to spend the weekend climbing up and skiing down nearby peaks? No, there's better choices, but if I planned a multiday hut to hut to hut tour in Colorado, I'd consider the E99s while making decisions.
Cheers!
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen