Just impulse bought new skis on sale, what do you think of the set up?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Just impulse bought new skis on sale, what do you think of the set up?

Post by Telecat » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Heyo,

So I just impulse bought skis on Evo. Head kore 99, 189cm $250 after taxes. I also found a pair of scarpa T1s used. Planning on mounting hammerheads, probably with telebry, not sure yet.

So these would he much longer and a bit narrower than my current resort set up, which is k2 sidestash, 176cm with scarpa T2s and hammerheads.

This will definitely be the longest downhill ski I've owned, little worried about controlling them, and will definitely have to adapt my style to ski them. I just so happened to find the T1s used in my size, I think this boot should give me all the power I need for this ski.

What do you guys think?

Andy M

Re: Just impulse bought new skis on sale, what do you think of the set up?

Post by Andy M » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:50 pm

I haven't skied the Kore 99, but it sounds like a great all-mountain ski. Given your size (noted from a previous post that you're 6'2" 220), the 189 should work out fine -- although, as you note, you may have to adapt your style to ski them, since you were previously skiing 176 Sidestashes. You should probably avoid the bumps until you get used to them ;-)

For comparison, I'm 6'0", about 180, and I would have chosen the 180cm length in the Kore 99. I have a similar ski that is one of my favorite all-mountain tele skis: K2 Hardside 181cm (138-98-119) -- so it has similar dimensions to the Kore 99 -- although in looking at the spec's, I see that your 189cm Kore 99 has a shorter turn radius (19.1m) than my 181 Hardsides (23m), which, IMO, is a good thing, as I find the Hardsides a bit challenging to bring around quickly in some situations -- also, another good thing, the Kore 99 is lighter than many all-mountain skis, including my Hardside.

Glad you found some T1s -- those will help with the Kore 99s, as well as with the Sidestashes.

stec06

Post by stec06 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:17 am

They might be long, but they have a lot of rocker in the tip, so they'll ski shorter than the advertised length. What kind of T-1s did you score? Four-buckles? More than enough boot... I might ditch the Hammerheads for the Vices, though, since you'll get that extra ramp in the toe area and some stiffer springs.
Telecat wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm
Heyo,

So I just impulse bought skis on Evo. Head kore 99, 189cm $250 after taxes. I also found a pair of scarpa T1s used. Planning on mounting hammerheads, probably with telebry, not sure yet.

So these would he much longer and a bit narrower than my current resort set up, which is k2 sidestash, 176cm with scarpa T2s and hammerheads.

This will definitely be the longest downhill ski I've owned, little worried about controlling them, and will definitely have to adapt my style to ski them. I just so happened to find the T1s used in my size, I think this boot should give me all the power I need for this ski.

What do you guys think?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Ditto on the Vices

Telecat

Post by Telecat » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Yes they are the 4 buckle scarpa T1s

I honestly might stick with the T2s on my sidestashes. I love how soft and flexible that whole set up is. And go for power with this new set up. Who knows though, maybe the T1 will work great with those skis too

I actually didnt realize the kore has a shorter turn radius as 19m than my shorter sidestashes do at 23. I have no issue making short snappy turns with those either.

I'd consider the vices, but trying to budget. I already have a spare set of hammerheads. Ill probably mount with quiverkillers, and/or telebry so changing out bindings if need be wont be an issue if I want.

Telecat

Post by Telecat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Just got my new-to-me boots.

My boot liners are from a pair of custom/professionally fitted boots i got about 4 year ago. They are expertly molded to my feet with custom insoles and literally just cradle every nook and cranny of my leg. Spend a fortune on them back when I still alpine skied.

Anywho, my first impressions are, "wow these things are BEEFY". And compared to my T2s are super rigid. My T2s are so mushy and flexible.

Is the plastic made to be thicker or harder with the T1s or its it more a factor of age and being broken in?

The T1s are size 31, and my T2s are a side 30 with size 31 liners shoved in. Interestingly enough, despite my toes being less cramped, my T2s are definitely more comfortable. Only slightly but noticable. The mushyness of the T2s definitely helps.

Im curious to see how they perform in comparison. I'm wondering if the slight sacrifice on comfort due to rigidity might pay off in power and confidence when skiing less than ideal conditions
20200627_215839.jpg
20200627_215913.jpg
20200627_215923.jpg

stec06

Post by stec06 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:40 am

You'll notice a lot more responsiveness / edge control with those boots... i.e. smaller movements to make the same turns. I was pleasantly surprised last season after ditching NTN for those same T-1s and Vices (w/ stiffy springs). Killer setup for the resort. Probably helped, though, that I went down a size after actually measuring my foot.

For touring, you really can't beat the T-2. They feel so much lighter and more forgiving than the T-1. Now if only I could find some mint candy cane T-Races...

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Telecat wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 pm
Anywho, my first impressions are, "wow these things are BEEFY". And compared to my T2s are super rigid. My T2s are so mushy and flexible.

Is the plastic made to be thicker or harder with the T1s or its it more a factor of age and being broken in?

Im curious to see how they perform in comparison. I'm wondering if the slight sacrifice on comfort due to rigidity might pay off in power and confidence when skiing less than ideal conditions
Telecat, I have the same models of T1 and T2 boots. Yes, the T1s are supposed to be stiffer, but I think the bigger factors are probably the age and broken-in nature of your T2s. My silver and blue T2s are very soft in the bellows after years of use, and they have also lost some torsional rigidity.

Like stec06 says, I think you'll experience much more edge control with the T1s. I think you'll be happy with your T1s once you get a chance to ski them.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:08 pm

stec06 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:40 am
You'll notice a lot more responsiveness / edge control with those boots... i.e. smaller movements to make the same turns.
This is true, the tradeoff is that you may have to readjust your stance and or learn how to pressure the new boots while staying centered on your skis. Good luck with the new gear TC, I'm sure it will teach you something.

Telecat

Post by Telecat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Is there any significant benefit to using the wrap around liners?

Also the skis dont have a metal plate under the top sheet. Ive never mounted downhill skis without that. Anything I should do differently to ensure the bindings are solid? Was also considering quiver killers or binding freedom inserts