Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:37 am

jyw5 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 am
Can NNN BC bindings be mounted on the MR48? and if so, any performance issues/disadvantages vs. mounting nnn?

I am considering these skis for next season but would like the binding to be compatible with boots I already have and also like my NNN BC boots.

Thanks!
NNN BC is the only way to go on these, in my opinion!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 pm

NNN and NNNBC have the same mounting pattern.
I agree with Master Musky Ox- I would put NNNBC on the 48- I would want the narrower standard mounting plate though (as opposed to the wider Magnum).
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am

All of a sudden I woke up this morning and I realized that I NEED this ski

oh god

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:38 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am

oh god
Hey Woods,

I hope for you that this is a April fool day trick ;)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:38 am
Woodserson wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 am

oh god
Hey Woods,

I hope for you that this is a April fool day trick ;)
Nope woke up this morning, still want them!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:51 am

Fischer twin skins have elevation depending on their placement, the front and back of the skin channels are routed deeper so that the nap of the skin has less height than directly underfoot, where the nap stands proud for more grip.

Does the MT48 SKIN do the same, or is the nap the same height from front to back?

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:51 am
Fischer twin skins have elevation depending on their placement, the front and back of the skin channels are routed deeper so that the nap of the skin has less height than directly underfoot, where the nap stands proud for more grip.

Does the MT48 SKIN do the same, or is the nap the same height from front to back?
It's the same from front to back. But they've cunningly lopped a corner off at each end so there's 1 cm2 of extra glide surface. Ingenious.

EDIT: The plush is closer to the sole at the front and back edges. It looks like it's been shaved! Is that possible? I've never noticed this before. I've changed the skins, and I didn't notice the depth of the bed/ channel changing. I think they've adjusted the nap?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:57 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 am

It's the same from front to back. But they've cunningly lopped a corner off at each end so there's 1 cm2 of extra glide surface. Ingenious.

EDIT: The plush is closer to the sole at the front and back edges. It looks like it's been shaved! Is that possible? I've never noticed this before. I've changed the skins, and I didn't notice the depth of the bed/ channel changing. I think they've adjusted the nap?
Fischer twin skins do this as well, the skins are offset so the skier engages one first and then the second to ease into it instead of it being full-stop. Thanks for checking the nap, Muskie! How did the skin change go when you swapped them out? Are you planning on skiing them a bit before slapping an X-Skin on or are you off that bandwagon completely?

Musk Ox

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:57 am
Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 am

Fischer twin skins do this as well, the skins are offset so the skier engages one first and then the second to ease into it instead of it being full-stop. Thanks for checking the nap, Muskie! How did the skin change go when you swapped them out? Are you planning on skiing them a bit before slapping an X-Skin on or are you off that bandwagon completely?
Changing the built-in skins takes a minute. It's easier than putting on and taking off X-Skins because there's only one place each skin can go!

I think I'm off the skin-on-skin thing. That is a bandwagon I'll leave to the brave and hardy. I've been taking out waxable skis if a long steep hill is involved, slapping on my purple mohair ticklers if need be, and using the MR 48 Skins for non-climby, non-wax-friendly conditions.

Actually, that's not completely true. We went above the tree line today. I took my MR 48 Skins because snow was forecast and I couldn't be bothered to be a scientist about the changing temperatures. Mrs M. Ox took MR MT 51s with wide X-Skins on. About -2.5° at sea level, much colder on top.

I did more waddling on the way up (if less than you'd think, they're noticeably better than waxed skis). But when we got to the top, I was the clear winner today when she took the skins off. She definitely won the way down, though, although this is largely a question of her competence.

Last edited by Musk Ox on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:32 pm

Oh man, I miss snow so much. That is such a great picture, thank you!

I want to make a small correction to your post *ahem ahem* since I am proud owner...
Mrs M. Ox took MR 51s
I believe you mean... MT 51s

Like, the best trad ski ever? Of which I have a pair of in my basement? The ones that scream sophistication and panache, stability and strength? OooooOOOoooOOoooOoooo!