first NTN thoughts- 22 Designs Lynx

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Andy M

Re: first NTN thoughts- 22 Designs Lynx

Post by Andy M » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Those are the Outlaws.

Pealer

Post by Pealer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Your rentals have the Outlaw X with standard issue springs. Don't be afraid to increase the spring pre-load if you like things Free Ride like. Cool they're putting you on Volks too.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:07 pm

so skied about 17 runs today and about 20k vertical at Vail. really nice snow in the back bowls. I like the 22 design outlaws quite a bit. I think the stiffness is about right....I can't try to tighten the stiffness because I guess you need a tool to do that, and the shop didn't have the tool. I think the settings are good the way they are

but, I'm thinking the previous owner of the Scarpas hacked them because they were too stiff for him....see pic. I don't think that cut with the drilled hole is stock.

I'm all about buying used gear, but this season it didn't work out: the skis are both delaminating in the tail and have been repaired once already, the freerides are shot and can't be fixed, the boots look they were hacked...anyway, I'll buy some new stuff at the end of the season

I don't think that "relief cut" is stock
ski boot.jpeg

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:58 pm

bauerb, I can adjust my Outlaws by hand. In your photo, see the center metal barrel with the five lines on it. You twist that barrel to line up one of the lines to the rear of the two smaller-diameter metal tubes on either side. Screwed out to the innermost line is the lightest setting -- screwed into the outermost line is the strongest setting. It make take some effort, but they should turn OK -- there is also a slot in the end of this tube that you could fit a very wide-bladed screwdriver, or something similar.

On the boots, that cut and hole ARE stock. My TX Pros, which I bought new, have them too.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:05 pm

bauerb wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:07 pm
so skied about 17 runs today and about 20k vertical at Vail. really nice snow in the back bowls. I like the 22 design outlaws quite a bit. I think the stiffness is about right....I can't try to tighten the stiffness because I guess you need a tool to do that, and the shop didn't have the tool. I think the settings are good the way they are

but, I'm thinking the previous owner of the Scarpas hacked them because they were too stiff for him....see pic. I don't think that cut with the drilled hole is stock.

I'm all about buying used gear, but this season it didn't work out: the skis are both delaminating in the tail and have been repaired once already, the freerides are shot and can't be fixed, the boots look they were hacked...anyway, I'll buy some new stuff at the end of the season

I don't think that "relief cut" is stock

ski boot.jpeg
What ski is delaming? Your Vantage 95Cs?

I have a similar relief cut on my T2s but it's actually bigger

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 pm

JVChap wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 am
Oh shite now I'm scared 😬

I just pulled the trigger on these bindings for my new skis...first new stuff in at least 6 years...they will be ready in a day or so...

When I first went to NTN I didn't really like it...had to buy another set of 01s because I'd sold them...glad I'd kept my boots....felt free again...

I eventually started doing more NTN with the Rotty Freedom when doing bigger trips with all AT folks...feeling more solid on steep technical stuff and not getting so exhausted.

...guess I'll soon find out how they treat me

(and maybe not so quick to sell the lightly used Freedoms I bought before learning about the Lynx...)
Jvchap did you get your new skis yet? Curious on your impressions of Lynx is similar as mine.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 am

yeah its the Vantage 95's that are delaminating. I'm told that model is prone to the problem

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:51 am

bauerb wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 am
yeah its the Vantage 95's that are delaminating. I'm told that model is prone to the problem
I'm super sorry to hear this. Can you post a picture? The ski is actually kind of ideal for a tele ski I know a few people here in the northeast with them. I'm on the 85's of the same vintage, and no problems. I think the new Vantages aren't as good, stiffer and lighter. I was thinking of pulling the trigger on some of the old V95's banging around here to for funsies.

JVChap

Post by JVChap » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:24 pm

Ok...this thread has been brought back to the Lynx, correct? :-)

...so I just got in from a nice little tour with first my new rig in over six years: Atomic Bent Chetler 176, Lynx (middle of boot sole at ski center, which is new to me) ,pink Pomoca skins and Phantom wax...boots are old Scarpa TXPro

I'd moved the pin to first hole right out of the gate...

I think I'm going to be happy... BUT:

I like to flex real deep sometimes and I must be overloading the current preload setting, because the whole slide block assembly was constantly getting hung up on the smaller flex plate, so not able to slide back forward...which essentially put me into tour mode...which was not good for turning in the tight trees.

Now, upon looking at the instruction sheet for the Lynx, it appears that that flex plate is maybe supposed to live ATOP the main plate, which is NOT how mine were mounted for me...so I will now consult with the folks responsible ( who shall remain nameless...at least for now :-)

JVChap

Post by JVChap » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Ok...
Bindings are now properly setup...I suppose it's possible that I inadvertently mixed things up when I moved the pivot plate to hole #1...

...things definitely gonna feel stiffer tomorrow ....

Stay tuned...