Chena Baree Ortho-Natural Insoles

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Chena Baree Ortho-Natural Insoles

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:38 pm

To put it simply, these are the BEST insoles for backcountry skiing you can find.

I've been backcountry skiing since 2004 and I have been known to be somewhat of a gear nerd at times, so I have tried a MANY combinations of boots, insoles and socks.

These are it ladies and gentlemen. The very best. Handmade in New Brunswick, Canada of all places with 100% wool, biodegradable rubber and jute.

These are the WARMEST and DRIEST medium thickness insoles I have tried. They are quite supportive as well with a generic molded shape that does slowly adapt to your natural foot shape.

Last year, I got a pair of each of the three models offered by Chena Baree: the Ortho-Naturals, the PF Heel Comfort and the Winter warmers. I've been skiing with them and I tried them out hiking and running as well.
IMG_0578.JPG
Chena Baree Ortho-Naturals, Chena Baree Winter Warmers, Lundhags Beta Insole, Sole Insulated Signature CD Thin (Chris Davenport)
IMG_0579.JPG
The Winter warmers are definitely very warm but IMO take up too much space in a medium volume leather/synthetic backcountry ski boot. Unless you happen to have low volume feet, they might not work for you in this application. The PF Heel Comforts are the same as the Ortho-Naturals but with added cushiness at the heel. I don't have heel pain, fortunately, so did not feel they were worth the extra 11$ (for me!). So yeah, those Ortho-Naturals are darn perfect. 44$CAD a pop for a handmade wool liner! :shock:

In the past, I had reallt appreciated the Lundhags Beta Insole, which is mostly wool. I enjoyed them thoroughly but felt they were relatively unsupportive and actually not THAT warm. Cost a fortune too, and had to be shipped out of Europe.

I got into the SOLE insoles for a while too. They used to make versions with Thinsulate insulation in the bottom that would quickly get wet and useless. Some of the plastic foam versions were quite nice and I THOUGHT I likds their rigidity and super shape, but in the end, I found them too rigid, painful and not warm enough for my needs. I tried a cork version too but it disintegrated in no time.

I tried a lot of insoles. Too many to tell you the truth.

I tell you guys, fill your boots, cupboards and Christmas stockings with Ortho-Natural Insoles. They are super sweet and cheap!

https://www.chennabaree.com/product/ort ... l-insoles/

To be honest, the only downside on mine is that the insole layers can pull apart a little. On mine, that has happened under the arch of the foot. It does not change their performance one bit. If it were to get any worse, I would simply seal them shut with a little contact cement. I bet I will use the same pair for years!

Oh, and while I am at it. I will share a little more of my foot gospel. The Chena BareeOrtho-Natural is but one of five parts of the most incredible nordic backcountry foot combo : a nice pair of leathers (support, comfort, style), waxed hockey laces (your shoes will never loosen again), Chena Baree Ortho-Naturals (for warmth and sweat absorption), Darn Tough Hiker Boot Socks Full Cushion (Warmth and Comfort) and your trusty feet of course, don't forget thm. Trust me. Every single stride will feel like ballet jazz in heaven from now on.
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Re: Chena Baree Ortho-Natural Insoles

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:45 pm

>>I got into the SOLE insoles for a while too. They used to make versions with Thinsulate insulation in the bottom that would quickly get wet and useless. Some of the plastic foam versions were quite nice and I THOUGHT I likds their rigidity and super shape, but in the end, I found them too rigid, painful and not warm enough for my needs.

that's pretty funny, I had the same experience with the Sole inserts. They do have some of the best arch support of any insole out there - nearly the same as my orthodics from the podiatrist. I am going to try some of these Chena Baree, thanks for the review
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:13 pm

I tried to log onto the Chenna Baree website, and it doesn’t function. I would really like to order another set of insoles from them. If anyone has updated contact info that would be great!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:12 pm

these insoles are a game changer.

hope they didnt run out of them! I have been using these for 2 yrs.

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:31 am

Oh oh,

Paul (the guy from Cheema) doesn't have the winter soles anymore on his website... He says " because I have a commercial arrangement with eskerinsoles.com for my orthotic version..". Good for him! Maybe he still does custom orders for past clients... Who knows,

L

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:35 pm

we need to find a new supplier/maker. these were the best insoles ever.

anyone know where we can get something similar??

nothing else was ever close to being as good as these. I should have bought a life time supply.

Laurence C

Post by Laurence C » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Write to him, my feeling is that you can convince him... Or you can become his apprentice, for the greater good

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Merci Laurence pour l'info!

https://www.eskerinsoles.com/our-insoles

There you go, there they are!

@jyw5 won't not just order the, from esker, seems a lot simpler and according to Paul's wishes.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:24 pm

The price went up, but good to know they are still available.
I have liked mine.

eskerinsoles

Post by eskerinsoles » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:31 pm

Hi, this is Andy, one of the owners of Esker Insoles. We are the next chapter in Paul's Ortho-Natural story and thought I should let you know who we are and what we're up to.

My partner Patrick and I are both backcountry enthusiasts from the west coast who were introduced to Paul and his Ortho Natural insole in 2019. At the time, he had just run a successful Kickstarter with an advanced prototype that had received really positive feedback from his supporters, but he was stuck on building a path to market. We started Esker Insoles to do just that and over the last three years have worked closely with Paul in refining the product, developing the brand, expanding the manufacturing, and building a sales network.

While we still have a long way to go, we are stoked with what we've achieved together so far. We have a beautiful product with exceptional performance, comfort and quality and are working on developing a sustainable business model that with any luck will keep us in business for years to come.

As our pedorthic expert and manufacturer, Paul has been busy expanding his production capabilities and developing our next model, a minimal low profile version of The Approach. A higher volume winter weight model is on the road map, possibly for next season.

We hope you will continue to support us as we work hard to make Paul's dream (now ours as well) come true. We currently have a 15% promo for first-time customers which you all would receive and free shipping if you buy two pairs. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Andy, Patrick and Paul!