The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Here's a rapid overview of some of norwegians' favourite 75mm backcountry boots. I hope this can help dispel the false rumor that has been kicking around lately that the nordic norm might be nearing its death! NOT! :mrgreen:
What is your favourite NN boot?
0W-940.png
4u-940.png
Clic here for more info
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: The Finest Nordic Norm (NN) 75mm Backcountry Boots

Post by lowangle al » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm goin with the T4. They are only 2ozs heavier per boot than the Merrills and Asolos I'd been skiing. They are more comfortable for k&g and have the edge control of my T2s.

That is a pretty impressive selection of boots they have there, it looks good enough to take a trip to Norway for. Maybe the finest NN boot for me is still out there.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:32 pm

My faves are my merrel ultras, followed by my asolo snowfields. Got 2 pairs of excursions that I just can't say I love. That being said, I am an old fart that tours backcountry trails,rather than a telemarker.Btw, will soon be posting for sale (once again), a brand new in the box pair of ultras size 11 and one pair of excursions 29.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 am

I followed that link Ben- is there a written review of these boots that we can translate?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:31 am

My favorite pair of NN boots are my Alico Ski March boots. They're is the same weight class as my T-4 boots, and not as powerful. However they are very powerful. I was surprised when the soles torqued on me skiing crud at the resort. So other than skiing crud, they are powerful enough to ski downhill on hard pack piste with my light FT 62 ski. They also tour much nicer than the T-4, the leather flex is just more enjoyable to me.
Now, as much as I like my Ski March, I certainly do not want to part with my T-4. I certainly also have a spot in my quiver for the T-4. I also recently purchased an Alpina Alaska NNN (I would have never done that even a couple years ago). If I could pick my favorite way to ski it would be touring for turns. I don't usually have great conditions for that, many days my best option is trail skiing on opened up single track. I am hoping the Alaska's lighter weight, softer flex, and greater ROM will make for faster and even more enjoyable trail skiing. I will find out if I like NNN, if I do I wouldn't see a need to find a lighter NN boot. I certainly cannot see a time where I would not really want a stiff leather boot in the Ski March class. It is my favorite boot.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:39 pm

LC, I do not think there was more to that article about the 10 pair of boots....it was from 2016. By the way, Andrews 75mm boots are still sold in Norway as we speak (but rare).
lilcliffy wrote:Have you seen these?
https://en.aventurenordique.com/alico-telemark.html
Actually I have! They look like a downgrade (in stiffness) from the norwegian welted Alico Teletour, which I own and am getting to really enjoy since they were stretched:
teletour.JPG
There are a few more newish leather 75mm boots out there, the Alpina Alaska of course. The gaitered Crispi Svalbard 75mm and the Crispi Lofoten 75mm and both really interesting as well!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:43 am

Chisana love the Ultra's...They became part of my leg....Total wrap around of wonder feel....Lite boots like that turn all my skis easily....Have three sets of lace up boots with one being a Merril with no name on it....Close to...real close....Ultra!!!! TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:54 am

greatgt wrote:Chisana love the Ultra's...They became part of my leg....Total wrap around of wonder feel....Lite boots like that turn all my skis easily....Have three sets of lace up boots with one being a Merril with no name on it....Close to...real close....Ultra!!!! TM
Hey TM! Nice to hear from you. Forgive my lack ignorance, probably due to my young age, but what are these awesome Merrell Ultras you speak of? I cannot find a single picture of them online! No buckle, single buckle, 2 buckle? Stiff like the Asolo Extremes? Where's it at? Ans what is going down in Chisana AK?

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 pm

I don't believe merrel ultras have been made in years. They were a laceup boot with no buckle, but were the next step below the super comp as far as stiffness. I endured many a blister,before I learned to duct tape my heels. My old ultras could use a resole, and I have worn a hole in the lining from a heel rub. (I have an odd shaped heel), but I thought enough of those boots to buy a spare pair in case merrel discontinued them. Use mostly asolo snowfields these days, plenty of boot for the ski touring I will do if we ever get enough snow in my part of alaska to put them to use.