Baldy Trailhead, Wasilla, AK

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Baldy Trailhead, Wasilla, AK

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:03 am

That's a great video, lots of good skiing but also some form that you don't want to duplicate.

Like Fish said use wedge turns when needed. Even with T4s and vectors I'll do them when the trail is icy. The more narrow steep trails are only good for tele turns when they still have powder on them.

AlaskaNordic
Ski style: Style what style?
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annums
Favorite boots: Alico Double

Post by AlaskaNordic » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:27 pm

i must be technically challengedhow do you post photos? I could not figure it out for my trip report? There is such a transition from the snow where you were at and the snow up in the pass, im all for skiing new places but why not ski there with so much great un tracked snow right now? It looks like the second photos you had better snow.. I try to sneek up to Hatchers every day im off if i can, waiting for a new layer so I can tour again down in the lowlands.

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ
Ski style: Mixed xcountry offtrack/bc
Favorite Skis: Asnes NATO BC so far
Favorite boots: Still searching

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:53 am

AlaskaNordic wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:27 pm
i must be technically challengedhow do you post photos? I could not figure it out for my trip report? There is such a transition from the snow where you were at and the snow up in the pass, im all for skiing new places but why not ski there with so much great un tracked snow right now? It looks like the second photos you had better snow.. I try to sneek up to Hatchers every day im off if i can, waiting for a new layer so I can tour again down in the lowlands.
Screenshot_20210123-233436_Brave.jpg
I'll probably have to take a break from baldy for a bit. It really close to my house, but the tour in can get to be a slog after you've done it a few times. Almost 2000ft and 8.5 miles. Was some nice skiing at the top once the trees thinned out.
Screenshot_20210123-233842_Samsung Health.jpg
Made the summit today so I can move on now. At least for a little while.
20210123_234238.jpg
Hatcher's will be nice since you can drive right up to where the good snow is at.

AlaskaNordic
Ski style: Style what style?
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annums
Favorite boots: Alico Double

Post by AlaskaNordic » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:24 pm

Yeah that last photo looks amazing! I will definately have to give it a go, when we get a little more fresh snow, Im just so addicted to the pass and the easy snow. I went to Turnagain last week and there was literally no parking but more snow than I have seen in a decade! This spring is going to be all time!