Conditions

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Conditions

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 pm

Ha, ha -- easy for you to say, Mr. Unemployable.
:lol:

Let's hope it plays out like the forecast -- I think a lot of us have been waiting to catch up on the snow pack.
Already got several inches in Wyoming.
It started snowing in western Oregon and in western Wyoming at just about the same time today.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:59 am

Stephen wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 pm
Ha, ha -- easy for you to say, Mr. Unemployable.
:lol:

Let's hope it plays out like the forecast -- I think a lot of us have been waiting to catch up on the snow pack.
Already got several inches in Wyoming.
It started snowing in western Oregon and in western Wyoming at just about the same time today.
Touche'!
:D

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:37 pm

Everything sucks here.

Leaving last's week epic conditions northern New England was in for 6-10" of snow, then cold, and more snow later this week.

The freezing rain/sleet line kept moving north but looked like the mountains would stay protected. I woke up early ready to hit the Whaleback, and looked outside at my car looking like an icicle.

No Snow.

3" of "sleety snow" at Wildcat, way north and high base elevation.

Burke, also way up north, got 1" and stated: "Most glades and natural terrain remain closed ... please don't duck those ropes, you just might discover what its like to ski on a firm glacier and most importantly - put our patrol at undue risk."

I'm quoting that from the mountain snow reports. When they start talking like that... it's bad.

My local hill got almost 1/2" of ice.

So that's where are here. I just tried to XC on the lake and it was miserable. Hard as a rock, icy, but can't skate. Blue Klister worked OK, but it was just nothing but vibration and rattling.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:12 pm

I have the same here, but I needed a break anyway. With any luck it could be good again by tomorrow.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:48 pm

Sorry to hear guys. I’m usually the one looking longingly East. I have the best conditions in a few years. Took my Tindan out on
12” of blower powder on a nice base. Was so cold and light I sunk, however Tindan did break trail nicely, and had pretty decent kick and glide on my 2nd loop around. My low leather Ski March boots were a nice match. However most downhills were straight only adjusting direction to avoid obstacles, just to keep downhill speed. It was cold, quiet, and lonely after the storm. The sun came out after the first 20 minutes. I may not be a day to brag about turns and miles, but I had a beautiful day!

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 am

Meanwhile:
Avalanches when you sneeze...."Cats and dogs living together".

Monday: "Big storms coming, I think I'll head up Little Cottonwood Canyon, get a room and ski tomorrow. Bypass the crowd heading up on Tuesday."

Thursday: Day 3 of being locked in the lodge begins because it's too dangerous to go out to the parking lot to get your stache, much less ski!

I'm over in the Park City side where we only got a few feet and the terrain is milder. Little Cottonwood is a pretty narrow, crazy steep canyon and they ended up with over 6 feet of fairly heavy snow from these 3 storms we got since Sunday. The road has been closed since Monday night, I think.
This morning, Brighton is calling 73" from these storms, and is open, but Big Cottonwood Canyon is an easier nut to crack.

Snow forecast for Friday/Saturday.

Snowmageddon.

There's talk of using B-52's dropping snakeyes along the ridge in the future (well, I'm the only one talking about it, but that's still talk).

Anyway....yesterday afternoon at Deer Valley after it got skied out from the night before (you can always count on the left side of "Free Thinker" after the drop, for some reason. Today will have to be searches of secret staches.
20210217_141856.jpg

Landscraper

Post by Landscraper » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Can someone enlighten me about avalanche prone terrain / snow packs?

It seems that the west is having a wild time with the avalanche danger and (from the video reports I'm watching after casualties or events) seems to be because of a persistent weak layer of snow close to the ground.

Is this layer (or any layer like this, close to the ground) expected to compact over time and become more stable or is it really a case of "once it's in there it's in there" and that this season will always have higher risk because of it?

Signed - someone on the east coast who don't know nothing 'bout moving snow

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:43 pm

Landscraper wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:34 pm
Can someone enlighten me about avalanche prone terrain / snow packs?

It seems that the west is having a wild time with the avalanche danger and (from the video reports I'm watching after casualties or events) seems to be because of a persistent weak layer of snow close to the ground.

Is this layer (or any layer like this, close to the ground) expected to compact over time and become more stable or is it really a case of "once it's in there it's in there" and that this season will always have higher risk because of it?

Signed - someone on the east coast who don't know nothing 'bout moving snow
There are lots of interesting videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +education

Generally speaking, slopes between 30 and 45 degrees are the most dangerous. Also, out west, we tend to have long ridge lines that run north-south with prevailing winds, as storms come in, that come from the west. Being 90 degrees off causes "wind-loading" and sets up potential avalanches. Early season rain and snow can also affect how well snow adheres at ground level. There are times when slabs will cut loose from ground level. We also tend to get hoarfrost which can set a very unstable layer if snow falls on it. Because snow can build up crazy fast (80" in a week) it can outpace the trend of snowpack to stabilize. These sorts tend to cut at the weak layer, not at ground level.
Lots of moving parts, for sure.

Landscraper

Post by Landscraper » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:48 pm

@Montana St Alum

Thank you Montana

I've been keeping an eye on the CAIC's column testing ... very interesting stuff.
Appreciate the YT thread

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Landscraper wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:48 pm
@Montana St Alum

Thank you Montana

I've been keeping an eye on the CAIC's column testing ... very interesting stuff.
Appreciate the YT thread
I'm not an expert and I think I'm gonna look at those videos as well.