Circumnavigating Crater Lake March 10th-12th, 2020 on Altai Hok Skis and Pulk Sled

Get psyched before your own next trip... fire your imagination and expand your horizons while discovering new telemark and backcountry skiing destinations from around the world. Our Trip Report Archive is packed with inspiring and informative words, photos and video, it’s a wonderful resource made possible by the contributions of thousands of enthusiastic members of our community. Come on in and get your stoke on…
freeheelfreemind
Ski style: Telemark
Favorite Skis: S-Bound 112s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75

Circumnavigating Crater Lake March 10th-12th, 2020 on Altai Hok Skis and Pulk Sled

Post by freeheelfreemind » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:03 pm

On March 7th I looked at the weather forecast for Crater Lake. The weather for March 10th, 11th, and 12th looked fantastic. So, I put my gear together, drove down, got my permit and skied around Crater Lake.

I decided to use my Altai Hok skis instead of my Rossi BC-90s. They are much more manoeuvrable in tight spaces. It turns out that was the right choice. Ski touring around the lake seems like the perfect fit for the Hok skis.

I removed my Chili Telemark bindings and swapped them out for my Voile 3-pin tele cable bindings. I watched a video where a woman broke her Chili binding cable on the Crater Lake tour. I didn't want any problems. The Voile bindings are great because if an issue developed with a cable, the 3-pins would at least still hold my boot in place. The "quiver killer" like system on the Hok skis make swapping out bindings trivial.

I planned on three days. The first and second days I had seven hours of moving time. The third and final day, it only took another two hours to ski to Rim Village from my final campsite; then it was about a half hour to ski the Raven trail back to the backcountry office. I left the pulk sled at Rim Village and drove back and picked it up. I wasn't interested in dealing with it on the Raven Trail - and no reason to do so.

I travelled a total of 31.5 miles with 8000 feet of elevation change. The North side was the most challenging with massive snow drifts and bare spots in the road.

I had read many blogs and stories, and watched a few videos about touring around Crater Lake. In every story and video people complained about blisters. I used my Alpina Alaska 75 Telemark Ski boots. I did not have any issues whatsoever with blisters or even a hint of a blister. They performed great!

Circumnavigating Crater Lake has been on my to-do list for a while. My weather window was fantastic. Day time temps in the mid-40s (F), and night time lows around 30F. This was a great trip and one I'll remember for weeks to come ;)

vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h31m34s298.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h31m41s188.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h31m48s603.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h32m10s291.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h32m53s744.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h33m23s000.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h33m31s329.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h33m40s545.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h34m46s229.png
vlcsnap-2020-03-14-12h35m05s922.png
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: Circumnavigating Crater Lake March 10th-12th, 2020 on Altai Hok Skis and Pulk Sled

Post by Nick BC » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Thanks for that! It looks like an awesome trip and the scenery is a 10. Glad all the gear worked out, were the Hoks a 120 or 145?

I enjoyed the music too from the boys from Leith :D

freeheelfreemind

Re: Circumnavigating Crater Lake March 10th-12th, 2020 on Altai Hok Skis and Pulk Sled

Post by freeheelfreemind » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 pm

The Hoks are the 125cm - the shorter ones. I weigh just over 13 stones, and the skis have been great for me all season. They are so light and manoeuvrable, particularly when skiing through trees on variable terrain. I saw a group of four people going clockwise (ski patrol and a park ranger). They all had traditional Tele or AT skis, some had skins, one other had a Voile Vector. The Hoks were the perfect choice for this kind of ski tour, IMHO.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Good TR and a beautiful place, thanks for sharing.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:38 pm

what a trip! It looks beautiful, the weather is perfect. 8000 vertical? were the ups & downs mostly gradual or did you have to make downhill turns with the pulk?

How do you like living in Bend? Has it become super-expensive or otherwise ruined? :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

freeheelfreemind

Post by freeheelfreemind » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:30 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:38 pm
what a trip! It looks beautiful, the weather is perfect. 8000 vertical? were the ups & downs mostly gradual or did you have to make downhill turns with the pulk?

How do you like living in Bend? Has it become super-expensive or otherwise ruined? :lol:
Hi, thanks it was a great trip. To be clear it was 8,000 feet was elevation change: 4,000 up and 4,000 down. And no serious downhill, so no deep knee tele turns needed.

Pulling the pulk-sled was easy for most of the tour. There were only a few spots that required any extra effort. I've done plenty of winter backpacking with a load on my back. Overall, the pulk sled was far better choice for Crater Lake, YMMV.

I live in Vancouver, WA; although I have extended stays in Bend in the winter. The skiing near Bend is significantly better than Vancouver, WA ;)

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:01 pm

sounds cool, I can see how the pulling the load would be better than carrying it, if the trail is smooth and gradual.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

freeheelfreemind

Post by freeheelfreemind » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:58 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:01 pm
sounds cool, I can see how the pulling the load would be better than carrying it, if the trail is smooth and gradual.
Yeah, the course around Crater Lake is 32 miles. The vast majority is easy pulling of the sled. You can see this in the video I made. The total "difficult" pulling amounted to a few scattered "yards" here and there.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 am

Thanks for sharing that journey fhfm, looks very serene and fulfilling on many levels.

Chilis on Hoks, never thought of that one, might have to give it a try one day. Swapping for the Voiles for the purpose of your trip made a lot of sense though.

I’m finding the Alaska’s more comfortable as the season progresses, glad yours worked out for you.

peterindc
Ski style: XCd, xcD, tele, alpine...it's all good
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad BC 195cm WL, Åsnes Tindan 176cm, vintage Epoke 900 210cm wax
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance GTX, Scott Excursion, old leather beaters

Post by peterindc » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:26 pm

I’m aiming to do this same trip with family on March 26-27-28, 2024, depending on the weather. Resurrecting this trip report to ask a few questions of freeheelfreemind and anyone else who’s gone around Crater Lake on skis. First the tele questions:

I got some great beta from owtdoorzy on the r/Backcountry group on Reddit, who’s done this trip twice on NNNBC gear. They advise the following, anyone want to add to this?
For tree skiing, there are trees off and on the whole way. For open slopes, from Dutton Cliff clockwise to Llao Rock, there are tons of places to get some laps in. This is from my kinda conservative perspective, though: and I don't usually ski above 30*-35* unless I'm enjoying corn conditions (a la spring time Mt St Helens, etc).

Peakbagging

Watchman and Hillman: I haven't skied either but the west slope of Watchman looks sub 30*. Probably a blast!

Applegate and Garfield: the southern approaches to both peaks are almost entirely sub 30*. The trees are open and skiable. The open slopes above are mostly kinda flat, but scenic. I enjoyed both.

Dutton Cliff: again, the southern approach is low angle. Might even be too low angle, though I'm guessing tele gear, like our nordic bc gear, would be great for this.

Mt Scott: this one is a whole big deal and I've only ever hiked up it. Way above my comfort level (which is conservative).

Llao Rock: my buddy and I camped at the junction of the North Road, and the next morning, we skied the slopes above the Rim Drive with our nordic bc gear. We had a blast.

Avalanche Bypasses

Again, strictly from my perspective, some of these are a lot of work, given the specific risks. I think most people who've done the loop would say you can make a decision about each bypass as you come to it, provided you've taken some avy education, checked in with the Park Rangers (you'll need to, anyway), have beacon, probe, and shovel, and pay good attention to the weather conditions.

Dutton Cliffs Bypass: this is a relatively large zone, and the trail bypass would be fairly efficient, given the length of exposure. Last time I was here, the road was covered with avalanche debris. The route through the trees is steep was not signed well when we did it.

Greyback Drive: we did this last time and got lost getting back up the Rim. It's truly not scenic, either. On the other hand, it might be perfect if it's a higher avy danger day, and/or there's crappy weather up higher, anyway. I'm probably one and done for that route.

Applegate Bypass: for the size of these slopes, I might just send one party member at a time (with beacon, probe, shovel, etc).

Garfield Peak: this one's right above the Park Headquarters. When heading up to the Rim, stick close to the Road until you've made it into the trees.

The Watchman: there's no official bypass for this one, and steep slopes below Rim Drive would require a descent of about 800' to find a low angle slope to get off the moraine that forms The Watchman. We went quickly.
If you’ve done this trip, would you like to add anything? I’ll be on 195 cm Asnes Ingstads and my son on 179 cm Fischer S-Bound 98s, both waxless with NNNBC Magnums, Alfa Guard GTX leathers, and the matching half-skins if need be.

Now the camping questions for anyone who’s done this:

Water: We’re assuming no water is accessible and we’ll be boiling each day, yes? Or can we expect any open water on the route we can filter or treat

Stove: Did you take a liquid fuel stove or IsoPro? I have both MSR XGK EX and a Jetboil, just gauging the need to boil lots of water vs the warmish temperatures and convenience of IsoPro

Trip planning: Any guess how many days of 40 degree temps it might take for the snow to consolidate enough to allow for less trail breaking and more peakbagging (whether skinning or bootpacking)?

Traction: If we do get to go high on some of these peaks, will we wish we brought full crampons and shorty ice axes (or the BD dagger pole attachment), or would microspikes be enough, or leave it all home considering we’re on NNNBC?

Helmets: Would you recommend bringing helmets for the glades, or are they open and low-angle enough that a helmet would be overkill?