Kelly Kettle Scout

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Kelly Kettle Scout

Post by fisheater » Sun May 02, 2021 6:15 pm

I will admit I’m much more of a truck camper, as a matter of fact I am planning on having a back pack overnight kit put together for next winter. I appreciate any input on that.
Most of my camps are pretty Spartan. I am going fishing and I need a place to sleep and eat.
What I did last night is a common spring and fall thing for me. I drive 2-3 hours to a location on the Great Lakes I want to fish. Sleep in the truck until an hour before twilight, and launch the canoe.
I now am in a new world of luxury, my Kelly Kettle Scout. At 1.2 liters it is to big for backpacking. It was however ideal for coffee and oatmeal for two. The Kelly Kettle uses available below tree line fuel. I grabbed some dry twigs, light a fire in the pan, and had 1.2 liters of boiling water in less than 5 minutes. That was more than enough for two big cups of coffee and two instant oatmeal’s.
The winds kicked up after only 3 hours and I had a nice couple mile paddle back in a 15 knot headwind. My friend caught the only fish, a chunky brown trout.
Here’s the link to the Kelly Kettle. I’m considering the backpacker model. I can buy another stove if I go above tree line. I’ve dealt with enough fuel in cold weather in my forty+ years in the construction industry. Wood is simple, and now fast!

https://www.kellykettleusa.com/stainles ... lly-kettle

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: Kelly Kettle Scout

Post by joeatomictoad » Mon May 03, 2021 4:46 pm

A portable firetube boiler... cool. That's something that can get me steamed-up!

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Kelly Kettle Scout

Post by CwmRaider » Tue May 04, 2021 1:42 am

What an awesome piece of kit! The chimney heating is brilliant. Unfortunately not really suited to the way we camp, too bulky for backpacking, and we like cooking from scratch... A Trangia alcohol stove (warm weather) or white gas primus in a Trangia enclosure (cold weather) are nearly perfect in that case.