Alpina BC 1600 Boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Alpina BC 1600 Boot

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:43 pm

GuillaumeM wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:11 am
It uses a 3.0 mm full grain leather (my Stetind have a 2.4-2.6) and a kevlar reinforced toe-box.
Wow. Alpina told me the Alaska is 2.6-2.8mm leather. And I always assumed that the Stetind would have thicker leather than the Alaska for some reason...
The sole flex is stiffer than both the Stetind and the Alaska (out of the box, let's see how it goes on the long run), very close to the BCX6 and the Sydpolen.
Which BCX6 are you speaking of?
Sole is stiffer than the Alaska BC and Stetind? Wow. I am wondering if this is a good thing in a NNNBC boot. Though I appreciate the stability of the sole in the Alaska BC- even once broken-in- I think I have come to the conclusion that I like the flex of the softer Guard Advance BC and Svartisen BC- I find it easier to feel and pressure the ski...Whether I still like the sole flex of these boots after a few years of hard skiing remains to be seen.

BUT- a NNNBC boot that has an even stiffer flex than the Alaska BC? Wow. That would be fine for skating but sounds too stiff for both XC and telemark skiing...
The ankle support looks also better than the Stetind, the Alaska and the Sydpolen.
Great to have a comparison with these other boots. Thanks! Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

GuillaumeM

Post by GuillaumeM » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:59 am

Wow. Alpina told me the Alaska is 2.6-2.8mm leather. And I always assumed that the Stetind would have thicker leather than the Alaska for some reason...
I don't have much experience with the Stetind but so far I find it a well-balanced boot, overall more stable than my previous Svartisen 75, despite having less ankle support.
Which BCX6 are you speaking of?
The Fischer one. I don't like the plastic construction, synthetic membrans, zippers and so on... But I have to admit it has a very stiff sole and ankle support.
Sole is stiffer than the Alaska BC and Stetind? Wow. I am wondering if this is a good thing in a NNNBC boot. Though I appreciate the stability of the sole in the Alaska BC- even once broken-in- I think I have come to the conclusion that I like the flex of the softer Guard Advance BC and Svartisen BC- I find it easier to feel and pressure the ski...Whether I still like the sole flex of these boots after a few years of hard skiing remains to be seen.

BUT- a NNNBC boot that has an even stiffer flex than the Alaska BC? Wow. That would be fine for skating but sounds too stiff for both XC and telemark skiing...
I think it might be difficult for a beginner, especially to pressure the BOF enough for getting stability downhill. The sole stiffness is similar to the Sydpolen, but on 75 the BOF is already halv-engaged so it is not a big issue. With experience it can become an advantage for more engaged xcD.

For XC more stiffness might lead to a better energy transfer, but yet I think one need to have a good level and it might feel harassing for beginners.

Of course it is all hypothesis and I will let you know about my friends impressions. At least in terms of quality and durability this boot looks very good.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Up to a certain point, I agree- stiffer sole-flex gives better power transfer and better support and stability-

However- a lot of traditional Nordic ski technique- both XC and downhill- requires sole flex, sole flex that allows one to feel and pressure the ski through the BOF and the toes. There has to be a point where the sole is too stiff to effectively flex it and feel and pressure the ski. And I suppose where the limit is could depend on the skills of the skier- but, I am not a beginner and I don't think I would want a Nordic ski touring boot with a sole stiffer than the Alaska- be it NNNBC or 75mm. At first- being used to the Alaska BC- I was a bit disappointed by the moderate sole flex of my Svartisen BC and Guard Advance BC (and they may well end up being too soft after a few years of hard skiing), but now I have decided I prefer the moderate sole flex of these two boots over the stiffer Alaska BC- for both XC and downhill skiing in the backcountry. I do not feel as connected to the ski with the stiffer Alaska BC.

Keep us posted! This clearly a redesigned boot and the price is amazing considering the quality of the construction you describe. Looking forward to your reports on this boot.

MicahE

Post by MicahE » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:59 pm

GuillaumeM wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:11 am
I ordered the boot for my girlfriend and just received it yesterday. Out of the box it looks like a very promising boot.

It uses a 3.0 mm full grain leather (my Stetind have a 2.4-2.6) and a kevlar reinforced toe-box. The sole flex is stiffer than both the Stetind and the Alaska (out of the box, let's see how it goes on the long run), very close to the BCX6 and the Sydpolen. The ankle support looks also better than the Stetind, the Alaska and the Sydpolen.

According to my girlfriend, there is good volume in the boot and I would think it is close to Alfa shoes. I think the boot is mainly developed for the scandinavian market. Despite the stiffness she said the boot was comfortable, thanks to the cushioning and the Thinsulate liner, so I don't think that blisters will be an issue.

Here in Scandinavia you find the boot for a price between 140-200 USD, which is great. I will let you know about her impressions after testing it on skis (next planned trip for Easter).
Well I hope it works well for her. I was surprised at the low price as well, it seems like such a well made boot.

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ
Ski style: Mixed xcountry offtrack/bc
Favorite Skis: Asnes NATO BC so far
Favorite boots: Still searching

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:27 am

MicahE wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:04 pm
This won't be much of a review, I've only skied them once, but I thought it would be good to add this boot to the list of options for people to consider since it's not as common for some reason.

In searching for BC boots, I tried:
  • Alpina Alaskas
    Rossi BCX6
    Fischer BCX5
    a handful of others by Madshus and Alpina
The Alaskas fit the best from this list except I couldn't get rid of a pinch point on the front at the flex point of the ankle. I've read someone else here had the same experience.

I bought these boots for $170 from the only online vendor I could find, Skatepro...which turns out ships from Europe.

They fit my foot better than all of the above without any pinch points. They seem to be very well made and are stiffer and more supportive than the Alaskas (which felt nice and firm in the foot but pretty flexy in the ankle).

My one trip out was in very deep snow, see below, but I did get to experience some K&G on the way back. This was using the also new Fischer Excursion 88 in 199cm. I will add to this post as I have other noteworthy things to say about them.
Any update on your experience with these? I found a pair in my size and there are some things I like more about them, in theory, over the alaskas. For one I'm not really a fan of suede in outdoor oriented footwear, two I think the lacing on these looks more sensible. I tend to favor a pretty wide toe box. At one point you said these were narrower in fit than the Alaska. Would you still agree with that statement?

Giorgio 88
Ski style: XC, BACKCOUNTRY XC

Post by Giorgio 88 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 am

Hi, I was also considering the purchase of these shoes. I would use them with fischer outback 68. How did you find with the fit, because having to buy them on the internet I don't have the possibility to try them on. Thank you

bealem

Post by bealem » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:25 am

Hi There I'm from Canada and I just ordered a pair of BC 1600's online from skatepro.ca
The reason I did so was because the Alpina Alaska boots I purchased about 1 month ago and have used 5 times are now leaking water. That's right, so much for suede leather and the Alpinex membrane.
The air temp has been hovering around the freezing mark here the last few days and the snow is quite moist (i wouldn't say wet).
The boots were ok the first few times out then they started to soak through the suede leather just above the rubber band in the "hinge" area of the boot. This didn't particularly alarm me since suede will absorb water, but then the water came right through. This i didn't expect. Isn't the Alpinex membrane supposed to prevent this?
Just a heads up for people thinking about buying the Alaska boot. Maybe think twice if you're going to be skiing in moist snow conditions.
I haven't received the 1600's yet but have high hopes for them since the leather looks smooth and I can at least apply some kind of oily or waxy compound to stop the water absorbing into the leather. Lets also hope Alpinex will do it's job this time too.
Will post an update after I've used them for a while

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:51 pm

@bealem
I don’t know who you purchased the Alaska from, but I would attempt a return. I have a few seasons on my Alaska BC without leaks, although they have been treated with Hydrobloc. I also have an Alaska 75, w/o a lot of miles and yet untreated with Hydrobloc. Both boots have been in slushy snow. I have heard no complaints such as your’s. I think it is outside the norm.
Let us know what happens.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:27 am

bealem wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:25 am
Hi There I'm from Canada and I just ordered a pair of BC 1600's online from skatepro.ca
The reason I did so was because the Alpina Alaska boots I purchased about 1 month ago and have used 5 times are now leaking water. That's right, so much for suede leather and the Alpinex membrane.
The air temp has been hovering around the freezing mark here the last few days and the snow is quite moist (i wouldn't say wet).
The boots were ok the first few times out then they started to soak through the suede leather just above the rubber band in the "hinge" area of the boot. This didn't particularly alarm me since suede will absorb water, but then the water came right through. This i didn't expect. Isn't the Alpinex membrane supposed to prevent this?
Just a heads up for people thinking about buying the Alaska boot. Maybe think twice if you're going to be skiing in moist snow conditions.
I haven't received the 1600's yet but have high hopes for them since the leather looks smooth and I can at least apply some kind of oily or waxy compound to stop the water absorbing into the leather. Lets also hope Alpinex will do it's job this time too.
Will post an update after I've used them for a while
Hello and welcome baelem!

There is something wrong with your Alaska boots- they should not leak.
I have 4 pairs of the Alaska in my household that have seen many years of intense use- all season- including wet snow and even wading through streams.
We also ski with a number of other skiers with the Alaska boot with zero leakage problems.

There is something wrong with your Alaskas- I would be looking for warranty coverage.

Also- the Alaska is not really "suede" (i.e. suede is thin split leather)- it is rough-out thick leather (similar to what is commonly used in a modern mountaineering boot). I treat the rough out leather to condition it and improve its durability.

Let us know how you make out with the BC1600- the pair I examined a few years ago had thinner leather than the Alaska and had some sort of synthetic coating on top of the leather- making it impossible to treat and condition. The BC1600 that I have examined is softer and less supportive than the Alaska BC.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:33 am

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 94c1462ee1
@bealem
See the link above↑
These are the BC1600 that I have seen before.