Boot Review: Crispi Lofoten 75

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Boot Review: Crispi Lofoten 75

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 am

fisheater wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am
I ski an Alaska BC, it’s a great boot and system. However for me I think the limit is skinnier skis. Bottom line my life is good, two systems for different skis. ..., but what about my skis that I want to tour on lighter than my Ski March boot? What if I want a stiffer boot like the Ski March to ski spring trails with challenging downhills. That couldn’t work in my mind until now. Yes, I have been interested in both the Rifugio and the Antarctic, but it was interest. I could not imagine my only 75mm leather the Ski March offering kick and glide performance of my Alaska BC. Now you write that you swapped out the Ingstad to 75 mm???
Skinnies and 3pins: Oldskool 4x4s. Cruising on the flats, arching down slopes and best control on uneven and difficult snow/ice conditions. NNN-BC is great, its awesome but its a little niche-specific.

I've got a few BC skinnies with both bindings, and I must say the NNNs don't get out as much as they'd like nowadays.

So what if the the duckbill tears out after 50 full days of skiing. You can always get a new pair. Or go with the Refugios and be free for the next 15 years.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:20 pm

The lacing system on this boot sucks.
If you look at the photo- you will notice that it does not have a lace cleat at the instep- just above the instep strap- IT NEEDS ONE.
20200119_145825.jpg
I don't get it...
The Crispi Svartisen has the EXACT same lower lacing system + instep strap- yet it has a lace cleat at the instep:
20181218_192004.jpg
At least for my foot- I simply cannot get the Lofoten laced up properly- my heel lift is atrocious and brutal- the only way to hold your heel in place with this boot is to clamp down the instep strap to the point of pain- both across the instep and on the sides of the foot! I am glad I paid a clearance price for it.

Note- I have a small volume foot with a narrow ankle- this boot could be fine with a different shaped foot?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:03 am

Had a much better experience with this boot this week- despite the lack of instep lace cleat-

I used the following lacing- it works:
- surgeon knot to tighten up the footbed
- surgeon knot at first ankle cleat to gather up all of that ridiculous space at the instep
- double surgeon knot at the top

It works.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.