Lundhags Boots

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: Lundhags Boots

Post by mca80 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:42 pm

How to size them? I like my new Crispis in 40, the Alpina 1600 are a little snug in the forefoot and would be better at 40.5, but I fear my heel would slip in 41, my old (80s? 90s?) Crispi Mountain are 40 but I can only wear a thin sock and I think a 41 would have worked, and Alico Ski March is a UK 7 wide. Measuring my feet and using Lundhags guide puts me in a 41.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:49 am

mca80 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:42 pm
How to size them? I like my new Crispis in 40, the Alpina 1600 are a little snug in the forefoot and would be better at 40.5, but I fear my heel would slip in 41, my old (80s? 90s?) Crispi Mountain are 40 but I can only wear a thin sock and I think a 41 would have worked, and Alico Ski March is a UK 7 wide. Measuring my feet and using Lundhags guide puts me in a 41.
I think the Lundhags measuring tables can be trusted if you measure your feet.

You can always chat with them – the customer service is basically like something out of the late 1800s.

I emailed them when I was getting replacement rubbers on my hiking boots. In the end they gave me a like-for-like replacement for my old, discontinued last (the 'Opti' last) so I didn't get the new sizing. I specifically asked them about the sizing when I thought I was getting a new last, as the sizes were so different and the old fit was so good for me. The word from the mothership in my case was 'you've measured correctly, trust the tables' and I'm inclined to trust their customer service.

Lifting heels has never been an issue in my ski boots with the liner and two pairs of socks.

DPO777
Ski style: Cross Country, BackCountry, Out the back door Country
Favorite Skis: Karhu XCD GTs, refurbished wood top unknown skis from the 80s bought during an Alberta Snowmageddon
Favorite boots: Made in Italy 75 mil 3-Pin Alico leather boots. Put to rest Crispi leather boots.
Occupation: Retired now upgrading older ski stuff to more modern technology

Post by DPO777 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:26 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:08 pm
Big, big tour in my Lundhags today-
30cm of soft fresh snow over more than a metre of multilayered base-
over 25k- overhill and underhill-
not a breath of wind, not a snowmachine, not a harvester to be heard-
nothing but me, deep snow, forested hills, moose (all over the place), fisher, lynx, otter, barred owl, snowshoe hare, and red squirrel.
210 Combat NATO + Lundhags Expedition BC- wow-
if I had to have one set up for my local BC touring this would be it:
PXL_20240128_194345267.jpgPXL_20240128_231136276.MP.jpg
Wow so I take it you still had snow from your last blizzard out there and didn't get all the rain. We lost everything here in Ontario and the last park trails that were open at Arrowhead closed up tight and threw away the key.

Tuesday was T-Shirt and plus 10, Wednesday was plus 8 at noon then strong winds came in and dropped to minus 10 by 5:00, snowing but wasn't sticking and just blowing away to next town. Then last night we got blowing and snow for maybe about 2" over bare grass. Last year never used the rock skis out till April 1 ski outing. Will definitely be using old rock skis out back today. Plus 17 slated for Monday !

Are those Nato skis the old Karhu made version that was selling for ridiculously cheap on Ebay and such or are those the Asnes version?

So your order went OK on those Boots? I noticed that the shipping was very reasonable on the boots from Varuste and they are randomly running their sales campaigns again. Guides are going for $275 CAD. No Duty on boots from there I think just the taxes and brokerage. Do you remember what you got nabbed on Brokerage? Boots like that and the Alfa boots from Canadian retailers like La Cordee you can add 200-300 onto the Varuste sale prices.

https://varuste.net/en/p75992/lundhags-guide-bc-nnn-bc

Using the size guide on their site that I think you posted showing the add 2 CM to your foot length (assumedly an adjustment for the liner) seems to end up with the same EUR size as you would normal wear by foot length alone.

This foot sizing and web info and charts can warp and bend a few brain cells. There seems to be a lot of discrepancy across the board especially with the EUR/US/MONDO conversions varying from 1-1.5 CMs on foot length and 1-1.5 foot sizes. To add to the frustration or brain heating is the different brands seem to have their own interpretation of fit to foot length and width with their labeled sizes.

On that Lundhag Chart adding the 2CMs seems to still fall short on the actual US foot size when comparing to their Last Length/EUR boot size on there chart.

sizeguide-shellboots W_M-2024-en.jpg
Lundhags site size Chart

I find in general the Nordica Ski Boot size chart seems to be close with regards to the EUR/US/MONDO conversion.

Nordica chart_men.JPG
Nordica Men
ski boots600.jpg
My Footski Bones
Nordica chart_women.JPG
Nordica Women
ski bootsW600.jpg
Better Halves "Sasquatch" Foot

I think my wife's foot needs a wide men's boot like the Alfas or the Lunhags. The women's boots tend to be narrower.

So just to confirm you are stating in your case the your regular EUR size of 42 would be a EUR 42 as well with the Lundhag boot regardless if their chart falls a bit short on the US conversion? Otherwise stick with the EUR/MONDO sizing of your actual foot.

In the old days you wouldn't even think about ordering boots without trying them on. And you were spending under a $100. Now we are taking a chance on $300-$600 boots from miles away without a test fit. Better odds than the lottery I guess if you read a lot of reviews here on TT on fit.

Keep on skiing while you still have the white stuff !

Yesterday no skiing here :shock:
windy wednesday.jpg
Windy Wednesday
Today just enough cover for a short rock ski run. Have some new bindings to mount so hope snow is back soon.
Thursday Cover.jpg
Thursday Snow Cover

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:23 pm

Lundhags EU sizing is consistent-
286mm=42EU

The UK sizing conversion on their site is correct-
286mm=42EU=8UK

The US sizing is incorrect.
A 42EU Lundhags is a 9USM in terms of the last length-
286mm=42EU=8UK=9USM
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:34 pm

@mca80
Guide BC vs Expedition BC:
PXL_20240302_211040516.jpg
Boot height:
Guide BC→ 21cm
Expedition BC→ 25.5cm

The Expedition liners are thicker, warmer, and more absorbent.
There are two different liners avaialable for the Expedition last-
the standard- without a tongue;
and the "pro" with a tongue.
PXL_20240302_211623298.jpg
Interestingly- my Abisku Expedition XP came with the Pro liner- the Expedition BC came with the standard liner.
Both liners fit the Expedition.

I am not aware of a "pro" liner for the Guide.
I have never seen the Expedition BC/XP for sale at Varuste.
I bought mine at Outnorth- great price and very low shipping cost (lower shipping cost than Varuste).
The Guide definitely has a trimmer, "performance" fit through the foot-
The Expedition is much larger volume throught the foot.
Based on the description of your foot (width-volume), you might need to "size-up" in the Guide...
What length last is recommended for your foot length from the Lundhags sizing guide?
Both boots have a stiff stable midsole.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:58 pm

Thanks @lilcliffy. My foot is 255mm so using their +2cm I would be 275, so I suppose size up to the 279 vs size down to 273 right? Makes sense I guess, some boots I can wear a 40 others I would need a 41. The problem is if the added length results in a looser fitting heel and/or oddly positioned toe creases.

At 21 the Guide is about 1.75cm taller than my Alpina 1600 which, if it is stiffer in the ankle, should be pretty good for a skating boot. Given the choice, which would you skate in?

For DH on skis I think the liner with tongue might be preferable, eh?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:49 am

mca80 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:58 pm
At 21 the Guide is about 1.75cm taller than my Alpina 1600 which, if it is stiffer in the ankle, should be pretty good for a skating boot. Given the choice, which would you skate in?
I get a better fit through the ankle-calf with the Expedition- therefore, personally prefer the Expedition in all contexts.
Also- see comment below↓
For DH on skis I think the liner with tongue might be preferable, eh?
I don't know if the tongue liner inherently improves downhill skiing performance-
but, I do get a better fit with the tongue liner- so that trumps everything.