Asnes Rabb 68 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
aquamogal

Re: Asnes Rabb 68 Ski Review

Post by aquamogal » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:33 pm

So now I am leaning more towards 180 as it may track a bit better and still turn easy but maybe not as easy as 172. The 172 sounds like it just wants to turn and is a bit nervous.
The Asnes guide reads 10cm taller than height and with my height it’s a bit more than that Thoughts ?

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:01 am

What Asnes guide are you looking at? On the Rabb 68 page on the Asnes site, it recommends going with a length similar to your height.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:16 am

Thanks for the link -- I inferred from your post that Asnes was recommending a Rabb 68 ski length 10 cm longer than your height -- period. But in the text on the link you provided, for wider skis like the Rabb 68, they are recommending plus or minus 5 to 10 cm from your height. And in the table below that, they appear to suggest staying within 5 cm of your height.

And, as I mentioned in my post, the Rabb 68 page suggests a length similar to your height:
https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/rabb-68/

Of course, all of these suggestions are only guidelines, and, as others have said in other threads, it really depends on what you are using these for (e.g, turns in steeper glades vs. long, rolling tours) -- and, also, it depends on your skill level, whether you're carrying a heavier pack, whether you are heavier than normal for your height, etc. But you probably already know all of this.

Looking at your past posts, I would get the 172 if I were you, assuming that you are getting it primarily for touring with lots of turns (perhaps on more challenging slopes) vs. touring with occasional turns (on more gentle slopes).

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi Verskis,

I was trying to find the length of your Rabb. I think they are 180 but I am not sure.

I was discussing with LilCliffy about the Rabb sinking in deep snow because of their round flex and we were wondering the size of your Rabb as well as your height and weight... lots of personal questions ;)

I got the 188 and I am wondering how they will perform in deep snow at 6'1' and 205-210... I could simply wait for the snow to get the answer... but actually I can't wait :!:

Thank you!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:08 pm

aquamogal wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 pm
What line did you use for nnn mounting ? and do you like it ?
I don't remember but I'm pretty sure I went for balance point on the Rabb... And I looooove it... :)

Buy the nylon skins only if you climb a lot... They climb like crazy, much better than the mohairs, but they don't glide very well... The mohairs are ok at both climbing and gliding...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm
Hi Verskis,

I was trying to find the length of your Rabb. I think they are 180 but I am not sure.

I was discussing with LilCliffy about the Rabb sinking in deep snow because of their round flex and we were wondering the size of your Rabb as well as your height and weight... lots of personal questions ;)

I got the 188 and I am wondering how they will perform in deep snow at 6'1' and 205-210... I could simply wait for the snow to get the answer... but actually I can't wait :!:

Thank you!
Hi Nitram!

Yes, I do have 180cm Rabbs. My own height is 181cm and the weight is 80kg, so that's roughly 5´11" and 177lbs in funny old fashioned units :P
My own experience with the Rabb is that in deep, light and soft snow it sinks quite a lot, but once the snow gets a bit more dense, it is not too bad.
I believe that at your height and weight, you have made a good choice with the length of your Rabb's. Any shorter would probably not be up to the task.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 am

Johnny wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:08 pm
The mohairs are ok at both climbing and gliding...
Maybe the narrower ones really do glide nicely, but at least my 58mm mohair X-skins were a bit of a letdown regarding glide.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:12 pm

[/quote]
Maybe the narrower ones really do glide nicely, but at least my 58mm mohair X-skins were a bit of a letdown regarding glide.
[/quote]

When it comes down to great glide, skins are skins, no other way to it. Pull out the grip wax when the snow is below freezing!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:09 pm

Verskis wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 am
Yep, skins are skins... In order to achieve a cool glide with short skins, it's important to remember that you need a ski with a good, strong camber. Your Rabbs are flat, alpine cambered skis, so of course the skins will always drag a bit no matter where you take them... Try the pink Race X-Skins, they are my favorites, they glide better than the mohair... And try skin wax if you need even more glide...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."