Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Asnes Mountain Race 48 SKIN

Post by Johnny » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:57 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:38 pm
Have y'all ever tried ductaping you arms? The feeling is phenomenal when you pull it off.
Ahahahah! Didn't you know that there is a wax especially made for this? There is a wax for *everything*! You must know that as a wax enthusiast right? :lol:

Skin on skin works very well here... When needed of course... Plus, you can get MR48 replacement skins for a few bucks from Asnes... Hey, it's just like layering several layers of different wax colors... Without the mess... :lol:
Asnes Mountain RACE 48 Skin replacement.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:06 am

Johnny wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:57 pm
Ahahahah! Didn't you know that there is a wax especially made for this? There is a wax for *everything*! You must know that as a wax enthusiast right? :lol:
Yup, a wax for everything. Even I produce my own unique brand. For skins though, I wouldnot get overly concerned about the type of hardwax I would apply. Do you?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:03 pm

>>Hey, did you take your skins off in the warm?

Musky do you think this is a bad idea - I would have to agree. Last year I left my Asnes mohair's on there for a couple weeks and decided to pull them off, inside at room temperature. A lot of the glue came off and stuck to the ski base.

Is this verboten? Should the skins always be ripped off in cold temps? that's what I'll do next time.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:03 pm
>>Hey, did you take your skins off in the warm?

Musky do you think this is a bad idea - I would have to agree. Last year I left my Asnes mohair's on there for a couple weeks and decided to pull them off, inside at room temperature. A lot of the glue came off and stuck to the ski base.

Is this verboten? Should the skins always be ripped off in cold temps? that's what I'll do next time.
Cannatonicky, I have absolutely no idea. This is something I was I hoping we could solve together as The Sintered Steep Hill Glue Detectives.

I've taken mine off at all temperatures in the past two seasons, come to think of it, and never had any problems at all. But this was the first time I'd taken off skins stuck to skins, it was not a perfect success, and I did it half-way up a mountain surrounded by Norwegians. I was trying to forensically work out what was up. My new theory is that hard wax on skins makes it OK to stick a skin to your skin and that ambient temperature isn't an issue. But I'm a wee bit nervous to test it now.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:02 pm

The type of hard wax doesn't matter much. In fact, unless you buy those crappy chinese wax bars on ebay made of leftover crayolas to ruin your bases, pretty much all brands of hardwax have a similar glide. Except for hot temps hard waxes, where I find some are better than others... And fluoro wax...

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:13 pm

Johnny wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 am
The MR48 SKIN is really amazing at only 775g per ski at 200cm! (25% lighter than the Gamme!) Remember this is a wood core ski with ¾ steel edges, not a cheap Chinese noodle.
Elsewhere you say you only use these for XC, not BC. They do appear made for BC, though. What do you see as the plus or minus of the 3/4 metal edge? In my experience (which is quite dated) the only advantage of the 3/4 metal edge is in traversing a dicey slope.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:29 pm

Definitely a nordic backcountry ski... The term Mountain Race is quite appropriate. Plus, the combination of permanent skins and 3/4 edges makes them a perfect ice ski. They will go anywhere on ice, classic or skating style... Something that cannot be done with wax or scales...

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:52 pm

>>I've taken mine off at all temperatures in the past two seasons, come to think of it, and never had any problems at all.

interesting, maybe my glue came off because I had sticky kickwax underneath? Not sure. No doubt it's better to clean off the wax before applying the kicker skin but sometimes it's not possible.

I never had 3/4 length edges before, it seemed silly, but I became a convert after skiing the MT51's a couple times. They feel light on the feet like edgeless skis, but you get a feeling of stability underfoot on harder snow, and better control. Even going around flat curves in the trail it feels better, the skis don't wander as much. (I am skiing icy or hard snow much of the time). The tips flex & absorb little bumps better and give a more comfortable feel than full-edged skis.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:52 pm
They feel light on the feet like edgeless skis, but you get a feeling of stability underfoot on harder snow, and better control. Even going around flat curves in the trail it feels better, the skis don't wander as much. (I am skiing icy or hard snow much of the time).
Yes, me too. I really agree with this. I was just thinking this.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 am

Can NNN BC bindings be mounted on the MR48? and if so, any performance issues/disadvantages vs. mounting nnn?

I am considering these skis for next season but would like the binding to be compatible with boots I already have and also like my NNN BC boots.

Thanks!