Falketind 62 Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Re: Falketind 62 Review

Post by boby13 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Here's a video I did today with my FT62's and Alaska bc.

I was a bit all over the place, got kicked around by the hard base hidden under the 5 or 6 inches of snow we got last night.
Blue wax did a great job, climbing was a breeze.

Almost lost an arm here at the end, pole got stuck in a branch.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:57 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post that video man! I loved it! I was in the exact same conditions and terrain yesterday!
BTW- really sucky about your E99s Easy-Skin insert breaking out.
I'm afraid it does not surprise me...
The Easy-Skin design offers superb performance but it is clearly not designed for durability...
I am actually surprised we have not had posts from skis breaking at that point...
The FT62 is so much fun! What an amazing ski for downhill skiing with XC boots!!!!!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:03 pm

boby13 wrote: Almost lost an arm here at the end, pole got stuck in a branch.
Howdy partner! We live and learn don’t we? Do yourself a favour and take your hands out of your pole loops on the descent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:54 am

All this talk about the Rabb 68...makes me want a pair. I love my FT62s btw...but it really only excels when the snow is cold and powdery light and skiing on virgin snow. I use my S112 for all other conditions. Sometimes, it just feels like something is missing...maybe I need the Rabb for those days when the mountain is more tracked up and the snow is heavier/dense and wet from the blazing sun...I noticed I have a harder time with the FT62s in these conditions...the S112s do ok but feel sluggish...maybe because of drag from the fishscales.
Unfortunately, temps rapidly warmed up after dumping as much as 4 ft in the past wk...was 10-15F last wk and today got up to 40F briefly.
Too early for S112s on Summer corn and too late for cold powder days on the FT62s.

Would the Rabb being a wider, slightly heavier ski with more rocker and sidecut fill this void?

Other than terrible GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
Why would one need both the FT62 and the Rabb 68?

bgregoire

Falketind 62 Review

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:19 am

jyw5 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:54 am
Other than terrible GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
Why would one need both the FT62 and the Rabb 68?
If your buying spree is limited to a pair of FT62 and Rabb 68s, you should be ok. However, if your desire for more cannot be contained beyond 2-3 pair, you've got GAS. The Asnes GAS is a special terrible strain. Some like to call it fever cause it gives it that romantic feel, but its serious GAS and yes, it stinks! :mrgreen:
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 am

jyw5 wrote:
Other than terrible GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) Why would one need both the FT62 and the Rabb 68?
Because!
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2453

bgregoire wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:19 am
if your desire for more cannot be contained beyond 2-3 pair, you've got GAS.
I think GAS is related to percentage. Asnes currently has like 42 different models of skis at this moment. And they are all unique, with different uses. Sadly, I am not a one percenter here... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:14 am

Johnny wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 am
I think GAS is related to percentage. Asnes currently has like 42 different models of skis at this moment. And they are all unique, with different uses. Sadly, I am not a one percenter here... 8-)
Yes LJ, it important to understand though that GAS, and most specifically Asnes GAS, largely targets the brain's superior and middle gyrus of the frontal lobe and the lobule of the posterior parietal lobe. These areas of the brain are known to play an important role in the performance of calculations.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Thanks for all your responses!

I definitely have GAS...and I am going to replace my S112s with Nosi 76 or Rabb 68 next season . and maybe even replace my Volkl BMT 94 with the Fjøro 92.

These skis have amazing stats...lightweight, sidecut, and high quality...and prices aren't bad.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:12 pm

Well, I just had a nice day with the FT62 in its natural habitat, rolling terrain and soft snow. What a pleasure, what a dream! Perfect mix of K&G and downhill control.

Would love to see a waxless version too! (I know I'm not the only one asking for this!)

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:26 am

Johnny wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 am
jyw5 wrote:
Other than terrible GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) Why would one need both the FT62 and the Rabb 68?
Because!
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2453

Thanks for the great review!! I have terrible GAS. Want to buy the MR48, Rabb68, Nosi 76, and the Fjoro 92...and some nice apres ski leather shoes from Alfa.