Alpina Alaska 75 boots

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Didier Lafond
Favorite boots: Still looking for them

Re: Alpina Alaska 75 boots

Post by Didier Lafond » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:56 am

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:18 pm
Somebody need to do a study and compare how many of the Alaska boots fail in Voile vs Rotta Super Telemark. Am I the only one to notice how extra strain is applied to various spots at the front of these boots in Voiles? Everything is smoother in the STs. My partners boot also failed in the Voiles of course.check it out, I’d love your feedback.
I bought a pair of Alaskas last november and here is what happened after two months (about 25 outings).

I use them with Voile bindings.

I must say that I'm very disappointed since it's the obvious breaking point. If I was the manufacturer and I cared about what I do, I would reinforce it. For the record, I mostly ski in rolling terrain and I don't have space to do teleturns.

The retailer will definitely reimburse me for this. I wonder if I'll buy another pair of Alaskas since I really liked them (comfy, warm, stiff enough) before they broke down or if I'll go towards something else like the Alfa Greenland even if they are very pricey. If anyone has an headsup on this, I'd be glad to hear it.

PS: a friend of mine just got into skiing this year and his Rossignol sole unglueded and he had to replace the zipper on his fischers after only one use. I don't know if we're damned but it doesn't inspire me to go towards these boots either.
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:52 am

Didier Lafond wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:56 am

The retailer will definitely reimburse me for this. I wonder if I'll buy another pair of Alaskas since I really liked them (comfy, warm, stiff enough) before they broke down or if I'll go towards something else like the Alfa Greenland even if they are very pricey. If anyone has an headsup on this, I'd be glad to hear it.
If you have a large inheritance to burn through, Didier, I can recommend Lundhags boots.

https://www.lundhags.com/no/skisko-turs ... 8731743497

They are expensive at full price. But you can see why.

The bar of my NNN BC boots failed about three weeks ago so I emailed them. I got a reply from the actual man whose job it is to fix them, who asked for pictures, and then said 'Yes, that's a fault in the sole, send both boots to us and we'll replace the soles and rubber on both for free.' So you get back the comfortable, broken-in leather with new parts. They're designed to last forever and any part can be repaired.
Last edited by Musk Ox on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:33 am

@Musk Ox
From the Lundhags website
"Guide Expedition 75 is made for telemark bindings. We advise against the use of 3-pin bindings, which can wear out the boot’s toe construction. Instead, we recommend like "Voilé Switchback", and "Rottefella Riva", 412, "Chili", and "Cobra R4"

Perhaps it would be OK but Lundhags themselves recommend against it.

Crispi ski boots still seem like the best new option. But the choice is pretty slim I must say...

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:39 am

Roelant wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:33 am
@Musk Ox
From the Lundhags website
"Guide Expedition 75 is made for telemark bindings. We advise against the use of 3-pin bindings, which can wear out the boot’s toe construction. Instead, we recommend like "Voilé Switchback", and "Rottefella Riva", 412, "Chili", and "Cobra R4"
Oh. Oh well. Oops.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Interesting that boot manufacturers like Lundhag are now recommending against three pins. Thinking back through all the leather boots I’ve skied since 1980, prior to moving to plastic, I never had a sole splitting issue. However, I did put smiley plates on some of my boots. The biggest problem with leather, in my view, was the tendency to really soften up with use so ski control suffers. Could it be a decline in quality in the Vibram soles, I assume there is just one manufacturer and all the boot makers buy their soles from them, like Rottefella and their NNN/NNN BC soles?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:28 pm

@Nick BC i believe it’s just the Vibram thermomolded soles.
I have an Alaska 75, because I got a great summer deal, and my Alaska BC fit like custom made. My problem is now that I ski the Alaska 75, I can’t get by without a light soft flexing 75 mm boot. I hope the Alaska lasts (with my Voile bindings). If it doesn’t I sure hope I get a good fit in an Antarctic, because I will be going with a Norwegian welted sole

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:40 pm

You obviously love them more Fish than your Ski Marches :) I have a pair of the Ski Marches, which I am really. really trying to love, but I feel there is kind of a disconnect with those boots. Admittedly I got sent, unasked, the Wide, and I have a narrow Scarpa foot. Even with the Chennabarre footbed and super thick insulated socks I can't get a secure fit and the ankle feels loose. My Alaska's are way better fitting from a snugness point of view and more fun given that they are softer.

I'm starting to come around to Al's view, that a T4 boot is probably as good as it gets for XCD unless you want to go mach schnell. I don't have a T4, but I do own a last generation T3 which I bought in 2008 when I heard they were being discontinued. They look pretty similar to T4's, they have two buckles, but they do have a power strap. I read on Telemarktips that they had the same scaffo (lower boot) as the old three buckle T2's, but with a lower cuff and one less buckle. I've always found them enough for skis up to mid 90's as long as it isn't too hard snow.

However, I've always wondered about the efficacy of that power strap. It's just above the upper boot strap. The original velcro power strap crapped out about five years ago so I replaced it with an Intermediate "Booster Strap". Two days ago I went for a tour and decided to ski one boot with the booster strap and one without. Lo and behold, I couldn't feel any difference. So the booster straps are gone. I guess there's a reason the T4 doesn't have booster straps. I'm guessing Scarpa felt in the oughties that a ski boot had to have a booster strap to be a contender.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:30 am

Nick BC wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:14 pm
Interesting that boot manufacturers like Lundhag are now recommending against three pins. Thinking back through all the leather boots I’ve skied since 1980, prior to moving to plastic, I never had a sole splitting issue. However, I did put smiley plates on some of my boots. The biggest problem with leather, in my view, was the tendency to really soften up with use so ski control suffers. Could it be a decline in quality in the Vibram soles, I assume there is just one manufacturer and all the boot makers buy their soles from them, like Rottefella and their NNN/NNN BC soles?
I used to think the Lundhags 3pin warning was specific to its 3pin compatible boots because they used their OWN soles. Looking at the Lundhags site and it current version of the Lundhags Guide 75, this no longer seems to be the case, or never was. They are currently using a Vibram outsole.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:36 pm

Nick, my Ski March is for me much more tour friendly than my T-4. However the Alaska 75 is a better match for touring on my FT 62, especially in conditions that the FT 62 excels in. 3”-8” of fresh with a base, the Alaska 75 is just, lighter, better XC flex. Now I was breaking in trail in 12” of soft, cold, and dusty powder, on a base that varied from soft to firm on my Tindan 86. The Ski March was a lot of fun. I enjoyed better sole flex and ankle flex with the Ski March than I would have with the T-4.
I’m lucky, the thick wool insoles that came with my boot fill the extra volume. My boot also came as a W, and my foot is a perfect fit in Alaska boots, perfect with the stock cheesy insole. So I’m definitely not a wide. However sometimes I am lucky!

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:20 am

I’ve had two really good seasons with this boot. I’ve used them snowshoeing, I’ve hiked in them, I’ve done a couple of 5 mile runs (on trails, not pavement), and I’ve skied them in a lot of different situations. They’re damn comfortable. I wouldn’t recommend running long distances/frequently in them (I don’t recommend footwear at all- I prefer barefoot running/hiking when the weather allows) but it was workable for the conditions. I typically leave them laced up loose until longer downhill stretches then I snug them up.

Luckily mine haven’t cracked at the toe. As I’ve grown into them I’ve found my confidence soar (I’ve been a fan of Telebry release plates, don’t feel that need any more). The only change I’d make is to go for a 44 instead of a 43 for trips if longer duration.

If Alpina makes a similar boot for the XPLORE system I’d be seriously interested.