How much does your xcd rig weigh?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

How much does your xcd rig weigh?

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Xc skis 6.25 lbs

XCD-GTs, merril boots, 3-pin 12 lbs

Vector, T2s, 3 pin hw 15.1 lbs

Pow boards,4 buckle boot, SB X2s 20.25 lbs

I got curious about this and was surprised that the XCDs were twice as heavy as my xc skis. I was also surprised that the vectors weren't much heavier than the XCDs. The third thing that surprised me was that they were all heavier than I thought.

What weight XCD gear are you guy skiing?

MikeK

Re: How much does your xcd rig weigh?

Post by MikeK » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:32 pm

E89 @ 205
NNN-BC Manual
Alpina Alaska

9.38 lb

S Bound 78 @199
NNN-BC Mag
Alpina Alaska

10.25 lbs

S Bound 98 @ 189
Voile HD Mountaineer 3 pin
Crispi Svartisen

10 lb

Alaskas are pretty heavy, a few ounces each more than the Svartisen. On my feet they all feel about the same.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:56 pm

Wow that stuff is pretty light Mike. Those Sbound 98s and boots only weigh 10 lbs? Why not use the heaviest boots with the 98s, because of the 3pins?

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:02 am

I'll play. My value is based on published specs; I'm too lazy to actually weigh it myself.

Asnes Ingstad (200 cm), NNN BC Magnums, and Alpina Alaska (EU 45) = approx. 10.7 lbs

Yes, heavier than I would have thought, but I was going for a relatively robust, durable setup, not ultralight.

Tom

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:06 am

Yeah my 'heavier' boots are actually little lighter. Pins are lighter than NNN-BC. And of course, despite the extra width, the S98 are 10 cm shorter. It all comes out in the wash ;)

I weighed all my stuff individually on a food scale and then added it up.

But yeah, modern XCD has gotten a lot lighter. I bet my wife's stuff weighs a few ounces less because she's using pins on everything only has Svartisens for leather.

Don't know what her Excursions weigh, but that and her Epochs would be her heaviest set, probably around 12 lbs total I'd guess.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:51 am

Geez Al, using the published specs for the your Vector setup in the sizes I'd use I get 17lb

Vector @ 180cm = 6.9 lbs
3 pin HW STD = 2.8 lbs
Scarpa T2 Eco (27) = 3.7 lbs per boot

I'd say that's pretty significant compared to 10 lbs for my S Bounds and Svartisens with a cable-less 3 pin.

Thing is you could ski that setup from a lift and probably not feel too compromised.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:12 am

Vectors, SBs, Excursions=7+3+6=16lbs.
Asnes Stormtroopers (Combats) NNN-BC Magnums, Alaskas=7+1+5=13lbs.
Karhu Guides, 3-pins, leathers=5.5+1+5=11.5lbs

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:31 am

Mike I weighed them without the heel throws because I remove them for the tour, sorry to mislead you.

Conny I have SBs on my waxable vectors but wish they were HWs too so I could remove the heel throws for touring.

I never tried any of the modern xcd boots as I never found a pair I could get my feet in. I have checked them out in the store and some have too soft of a sole for my skiing, but others seem to have a sole as stiff as my leathers, but I don't know how the uppers would compare. Do any of the modern boots compare to the older heavier leather boots in performance?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am

I know this is heresy, but it seems to me the highest stiffness to weight is T4/Excursion. Torisonally, they are, IMO way stiffer than any of the Vibram soled Norwegian welted leather boots.

You are right. All the current leathers either have stiff soles and soft uppers or soft soles and stiff uppers. They are all right in 2 lb+ per boot range though.

The lightest plastic is a little over 3 lb per boot.

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:45 am

LAA, IMO, the Alaskas might be the closest to old leathers you'll find. They don't have the ankle support that the old Asolo Extremes had but they are a great soft boot.

Re: 3-pin HW vs SB: I skied the 3-pin HWs a few years ago. I really like that binding, but living out here where our hills are a few hundred feet vert, I didn't like having to mess with the heel throws every time I got to the top/bottom. If I skied more vertical, I would most likely have the 3-pin HWs. The SBs are just ok for touring out to the goods, but the simple lever switch to move between ski and tour mode is super easy and fast...although the older I get, the more I think sturdy 3-pins (Telebulldog 3-pins without any cable) may be the best balance between tour and turns for where I ski.