Update from the XCD Knights

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Update from the XCD Knights

Post by MikeK » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:48 am

Yes please post. I'll help you Al, shoot me a pm once you get it.

Also you need to be having FUN!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks Mike, I knew you would.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 am

Johnny, if only xc shoes are allowed than I don't think metal edge skis should be allowed either to keep it trully xc.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:28 am

One would be hard-pressed to consider Alpina Alaska NNN-BC boots "cross-country shoes" even though I'm pretty sure they still qualify as XCDable.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:35 am

I think what Johnny means is shoes that relate to XC shoes.

For example, there are not plastic shell XC shoes. There are cuffed XC shoes, there are synthetic XC shoes, there are leather XC shoes, etc...

Also, to my knowledge, no one uses the cable for XC, unless they broke their boot.

I've skated on my NNN-BC Alaska and it's quite nice. Mind you I can also skate with plastic boots and fixed heel Alpine skis, but I HATE it. It's only something I used to do to get between runs and lifts.

As far as metal edges... to me, totally XC. I can skate them, take my skinny ones to a Nordie center. No difference except the weight.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Oh Al, that'd be great! I'd be the first to submit this to the council...!

Personally, I will experiment with skis in the 130-140mm range at the tip... They do have to be very light to make them turn with floppy boots... I'm very curious how this will translate with NNN-BC...

Metal edges are totally useless in powder. I honestly have no need for it wherever I go in the BC. This is a marketing thing again, as it doesn't really affect weight that much and people will always think skis with edges are better. (Plus, they can use them on ice if they want...) I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure the council don't care much about it.

One important thing to keep in mind here is that the Knights don't "forbid" anything. I know a lot of people don't get it, but there's no such thing as allowed or not allowed. It's not a law. They're not mean people. It's simply a way to classify different types of skiing that require different ski techniques, Alpine, XC, Telemark, XCD. And that's it.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:16 pm

I think in light powder any weight xc shoe would work but you would have to ride the skis like a surf board. I don't think it would be the most fun combo though.

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 am

I've very recently learned from an expert skier, much to my surprise, that lift served groomers is appropriate for XCD. What say the brave knights?

The XCD Knights

Post by The XCD Knights » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 am

Connyro,

As LoveJohnny previously stated, XCD simply means going downhill with cross-country ski equipement. The actual location where you ski is not taken into consideration. You can do backcountry XCD just as you can also do on-piste XCD.

Best regards,
Hans

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:12 pm

If I may point out, sir, wouldn't that just be 'D' instead of 'XCD'? Where's the XC when you sit your ass on a lift that performs all of the XC for you? That just seems like DH skiing. So if I am out skiing on my XC setup and I happen to go down a hill, I'm doing the XCD? If so, that would make everyone on XC gear an XCD'er unless you ski dead-flat terrain or constantly uphill. I am getting confused.