The Ski Lite / XCD thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Re: The Ski Lite / XCD thread

Post by connyro » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:02 pm

That all makes sense. The snow texture is hard to make out very well in your edits, like in first of the two edits that you just posted, the white of the snow right in front of the skier is 'hotspotted' and has removed all contrast. Honestly, that's just my personal preference because I think the snow tells half the story of a ski action shot! I'll quit bugging you now. Cheers!

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Yea the texture vanishes in the 3rd pic..It's something u have to watch.. with snow pix the texture is really touchy ..It's all pretty time consuming trying to get enough of this without losing too much of that..
Last edited by Raventele on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Dongshow

Post by Dongshow » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:29 pm

The first pic is actually the best, the only problem is that it is backlit it seems.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Discussing color balance on a picture is like discussing tone on amps - everyone will have a different opinion.

I agree though, I like the original the best even though it's not a great shot - but that's only because the details get washed out in the others...

Let me actually reiterate that. The first picture the focus is the snow, the brush and the woods in the backdrop. The second photo the skier becomes the focal point. The third I lose most everything.

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Not much he can do to fix backlit photos! Maybe photoshop will eventually come up with a fix for that too. I kid...

I prefer the first one too but I think I understand what raventele is tryin to do. He's concentrating on the subject while I at least, prefer to look at the terrain and surroundings. To each their own.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 pm

GENERALLY a skier becomes the subject..because they are PRIMARILY ski pix..Of course the other half of it is showing WHAT the skier was in because each pic is a TR in itself..Color balance, detail, composition..everyone focuses on whatever they are individually attracted to..Absolutely the same thing as what a guitar player likes or dislikes in sound overall. the fiorst pic i like the least, just so poorly lit.
Let me put it this way: if I were looking for an image to go on a T-shirt, 3rd image wins hands down..for a photo in a collection , I would tweak the second to get a little more texture back..the first I would have no use for.
Last edited by Raventele on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dongshow

Post by Dongshow » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm not a genius, but there must be some kind of software that would allow the original photo to be manipulated so that the skier would be brightened a bit and the snow and background would remain the same.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:50 pm

Well, you can mess with that pic till the end of time, but all you have is a postage stamp to start with.

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:35 pm

You *could* clip out the skier and edit the background layer and the subject layer, but like raventele said, you can mess with it forever, but it's low resolution to begin with and spending a bunch of time messing with minute details won't fix that.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Be sure to buy a point smaller than usual. They fit very large... Mine are WAY too big for me, even with 2 shims and a heel wedge... Still, there's nowhere I can't go with them and cableless 3 pins.
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
[/quote]

LJ, have you tried Helly Hansen Polar Socks? An amazing "over sock" to fill up void space in your boots while keeping you toasty warm in cold weather!

http://www.bapequipmentstore.com/index. ... tail&p=593
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM