Boot recommendations for TTS-setup (Moonlight Pure tele)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
reborntelemark
Ski style: Telemark

Boot recommendations for TTS-setup (Moonlight Pure tele)

Post by reborntelemark » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:00 am

Looking for advice on new telemark boots among the experienced telemarkers out there.

I have been telemarking for many years and started my "career" with old Atomic mountain skis with leather boots in the late 80s. I skied a lot in the ski resorts until 2003, got tired of my nearby ski resorts and have had a long break (still touring the mountains). My current gear dates back to 2000 and its time level up!

I am in the middle of that process.

STEP 1: Completed.
I have recently bought new mountain skis, bindings and boots for up/down trips in the mountains (25km +) and light summit trips. It works perfectly!!! Åsnes Falketind 62 xplore, Xplore bindings and Alfa Skaget leather boots: Easy to walk with good control on simple terrain. I have used these for a season and have good control under bad conditions up to about a 25-degree slope: It is the shoe that sets the limits.

STEP 2: In process.
I have already started this process and bought nicely used skis and bindings that are suitable both in the ski resort and for mountain trips where the descent is the main focus or the slopes are steeper than what the Xplore equipment can handle. I landed with the Moonlight Pure tele (TTS) bindings and the skies that came along is Dynastar Cham 2.0 87.

I choosed these bindings based on my background from 75mm Rottefella Chili bindings (with plates) and want something just as simple. NTN seems to be overcomplicated. Also, TTS can be tuned to give me the 75mm feel or tuned towards NTN performance if I like. And a free tech toe are better for touring - I love the mountains!!

The old boots are a pair of Crispi (XR?) boots. These have worked well enough, but they are too roomy and therefore I cannot unlease their full potential - feels like I'm sliding around in them when pushing.

So the question is - which boots should I get for my "new" skies and bindigs? The following is what I envision
* Used Scarpa TX pro 2017 mod.
* Used Scarpa F3 (unsure of model).
* New Scarpa TX pro 2024 mod.

Reminder: Neew boots should work both for the ski resort (possible trip to St. Anton 2025?) and steep summits or difficult descents in the moutains (touring).
Last edited by reborntelemark on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Re: Boot recommendations for TTS-setup (Moonlight Pure tele)

Post by telerat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:27 am

You might get better answers at: https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... -bar-grill
It is more telemark (as well as AT) oriented than this (wrongly named) forum, which seems to focus more on the lighter and lower angle side of touring. Many here does telemark and can weigh in though.

Regarding boot fit; make sure you buy the boots small enough as the liners will pack out (but of course not too small either). A proper shop should help here. I have not tried Crispi boots for many years, but can not remember them being very wide. My original Scarpa Terminator where very snug though and T2x also feels snug. My original orange TX are wider and I believe the current TX Pro is similar, so I am not sure if I would discard Crispi. The new TX Pro also has a lenient last at 102mm wide.

The new TX Pro seems like the goldilocks for your use, but much has changed from the current TX Pro and there are different opinions on it so far. Price has also Increased significantly, and there might be an abundance of used TX Pros available next year. This thread has much info on the new TX Pro, but also quite a bit of noise:
https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... -pro/page7

Good luck with whatever boot you choose.

I also have FT62X and both Alfa Skaget and Free and it is a very light and a nice alternative to my telemark gear on lower angle tours. Skaget is excellent and very supportive for a pure leather boot. The Free is significantly more supportive though, but just barely fits my foot without crushing my toes when bending with the hard flex.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:02 am

reborntelemark wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:00 am

The old boots are a pair of Crispi (XR?) boots. These have worked well enough, but they are too roomy and therefore I cannot unlease their full potential - feels like I'm sliding around in them when pushing.

So the question is - which boots should I get for my "new" skies and bindigs? The following is what I envision
* Used Scarpa TX pro 2017 mod.
* Used Scarpa F3 (unsure of model).
* New Scarpa TX pro 2024 mod.

Reminder: Neew boots should work both for the ski resort (possible trip to St. Anton 2025?) and steep summits or difficult descents in the moutains (touring).
2024 Scarpa Tx Pro would be my choice.
As for your Crispis, you could thermofit them again, if the insert allows. But, I found that the heel hold down on Crispis was nonexistent for me. You could also get a reasonably good footbed such as a Superfeet footbed to stabilize foot movement. I think they are a necessity for new boots as well.

For most applications, used skis are fine, but if you plan to spend a significant amount of time in resort, new skis are superior. I can get 70-80 hard days of resort skiing out of a new pair before they have noticeably degraded. Actually, it's a bit of the "boiling frog" meme in that you adapt to them as they slowly degrade and only realize the extent of the degradation after getting new skis. Maybe the wood fibers begin to break up or something, but they do become less capable over time.

There have been three sets of skis that I've owned, where I liked them enough to get a second pair on sale. In all three cases, transitioning to the new skis (same make, model, year) performed much better than the ones I retired.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:59 am

The F-3 is lighter and has more ROM than the current TX P, so for backcountry touring for me that would take the current TX P off the table. I have an F1-Race that I am skiing with Voile Transit. That is a nice touring combination.
There earliest reports on the new TX P, comment on the flex requiring some adjustments from the skier. I haven’t heard any of the testers saying they were going to stock up on the current TX P’s because the new are no good.
I think you would be good on the old F-1, F-3, or get a new TX P next year.
Good luck!

reborntelemark

Post by reborntelemark » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:42 am

Thanks for the replies!! I feel the need to clarify my comment about the Crispi boots being too roomy.
telerat wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:27 am
Regarding boot fit; make sure you buy the boots small enough as the liners will pack out (but of course not too small either). A proper shop should help here. I have not tried Crispi boots for many years, but can not remember them being very wide.
The mistake that was unknowingly made, was to buy the boots one size up - in other words: I did not follow your advice regarding buying the boots small enough. The Crispi boots are 28.5 MP, but in reality today, I fit two random alpine boots that are 27.5 MP, with the smallest possible margin.
Montana St Alum wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:02 am
As for your Crispis, you could thermofit them again, if the insert allows.
Will thermofitting reduce the size of the innerliner? Not sure if these shoes have innerliners which cat be termofitted: Was on a strict budget when they were purchased.
Montana St Alum wrote:
But, I found that the heel hold down on Crispis was nonexistent for me.
That's part of the problem. I cannot tighten them enough to stop the "sliding around" feeling.
Montana St Alum wrote:
I can get 70-80 hard days of resort skiing out of a new pair before they have noticeably degraded. Actually, it's a bit of the "boiling frog" meme in that you adapt to them as they slowly degrade and only realize the extent of the degradation after getting new skis.
Interesting consideration. I would say that the same principle can be applied to boots and that it is part of the problem I have seen with the Crispies. Although, I'm not worried about buying used skis - they will provide me with lots of smiles and fun in the future. You're probably right in regards to the degradation, though.
fisheater wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:59 am
I think you would be good on the old F-1, F-3, or get a new TX P next year.
I lean towards the same. New TXP is probably at the top of the list if I don't think about the price. I have seen some thorough tests and reports of the new shoes, and it is promising!

I do like the F1/F3-option, though! Are they as good as they say or have they gotten their reputation in lack of anything else? How do they behaves doing teleturns and will they give me enough support on resortday (hard packed snow or even ice) to be in control without being completely exhausted halfway during the day? It has belows and will flex, but it is an AT-boot and designed to lock your heel down. Will it flex enough? I don't drop my knee to the ski: This is my style at the resort.
Skjermbilde 2024-04-10 162834.png

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm

reborntelemark wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:42 am
Montana St Alum wrote:
Will thermofitting reduce the size of the innerliner? Not sure if these shoes have innerliners which cat be termofitted: Was on a strict budget when they were purchased.

I think thermofitting expands the foam in the liner, making the fit tighter. But they will pack out again eventually. If you can get a thicker footbed, it will take up space also making the boot tighter. But if the boot is too long, there's not much you can do to fix that.

telerat
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.

Post by telerat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:39 pm

Montana St Alum wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm
reborntelemark wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:42 am
Montana St Alum wrote:
I think thermofitting expands the foam in the liner, making the fit tighter. But they will pack out again eventually. If you can get a thicker footbed, it will take up space also making the boot tighter. But if the boot is too long, there's not much you can do to fix that.
The old Crispi boots might well have regular liners that are not thermoformable. The rest of the tips can help, but a boot that is too large will never be as good as one the fits.

With regard to also skiing on resorts I would skip the F1. I would also likely skip F3, but it might be an alternative if not buying the new TX Pro as touring is a priority too. I am not sure how much better it is than the old TX Pro for touring though.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:22 pm

I skied F-1 Race at the resort this year, and most likely will next year as well. My concern about using the F-1 at the resort is more about breaking down the F-1 rather than being able to make the turns. In fairness, all my gear is more backcountry oriented. I didn’t have any trouble handling mank or ice on my 97 mm underfoot skis. However when I went east (USA) to some real mountains, 3 days pounding piste was too much for my over sixty midwestern legs. I guess I will pound longer days when I ski at the hill next year!

Before I talk anymore about F-1/F-3 you need to watch Craig Dostie’s review of the new TX Pro

Based on Dostie’s review, I may not be the guy for the new TX P. I prefer a softer flexing boot. Perhaps that F-3 may be a good choice??? If it’s 28-5/29 and it doesn’t work out you could always sell it to me! I can’t imagine a person would just eliminate the F-3 from consideration without some experience on the boot and reasons beyond “it’s probably too light”. Now I have heard people state they far preferred NTN to TTS. I have heard people who preferred the ROM of F-1 to F-3. I’ve heard lots of people say they thought the F-1 is too light for the resort, but then say they are very comfortable with F-1 anytime in the BC. However that is NA not the Alps.
Again, everyone skis differently. I hope you find what works. Oh, one final thought. Based on Dostie’s review, I’m sure there will be a market in NA next year for the F-3 next year if it didn’t work for you.

telerat

Post by telerat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:24 am

I would only use the F1 for touring and if one get hold of a pair it would be nice boot for that use, but I would add a TX Pro or similar for resort and possibly steeper skiing. It is of course dependent on personal preference, gear and usage.

F3 looks very similar to the original TX with T2 walk mechanism. I have the TX and and I assume F3 has similar touring and skiing properties, so a little bit better at touring than TX Pro, but far from modern AT boots and the new TX Pro. I would again point to backcountry talk where there are more that has experience with the various boots, as well as modifications for better touring and NTN compatibility.

Comparing the new TX Pro in skiing mode to the old skied in walk mode is not the best comparison, and Dostie was slow to adopt NTN as he did not like how it skied. I am not sure if I have the same preferences as he does though, so will wait with judgement until I get to try it myself. The feeling on NTN is quite different than 75mm with older/more neutral bindings, even though both are telemark skiing. TTS may be closer though, so I might have to get that on pair of skis in addition to my Meidjos.

I have no experience with and am not sure how easy it is to sell used gear between Norway and North America.

reborntelemark

Post by reborntelemark » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:04 am

Thanks for your input and time spent on guiding me: @Montana St Alum, @telerat and @fisheater!

It is always good to discuss and put thoughts into words when making a decision. I have made a small step forward and excluded purchase of used TXP. I do think those F3 might be good enough to satisfy my needs and they are defently a more economical option than the new TXP. I'll look up and read more about that at the BackContryTalk-site.