Looking for an inbounds ripping ski high 90s waist

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Looking for an inbounds ripping ski high 90s waist

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:37 am

DG99 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:30 am
Fischer Rangers are great. You can often get good prices too. Not too much ski, but snappy stiff and energetic.

K2, Volkl, Elan, Salomon and Rossignol I’d steer clear of. Black Crows might be good?
Handled the Ranger's not what I'm looking for in flex pattern and the tails were a bit too turned up for me.

Steer clear for what reasons? Explain, and back up the bombs you be throwing willy nilly around here
I own several pairs of Volkls and Elans so I'll be interested.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:39 pm

Obviously don’t take it too seriously, it’s just my perspective, but I’ve not had great luck with those brands with some limited demos and ownership over the years. Never say never, your mileage may vary etc. but that’s why I said “I’d steer clear of.”

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:08 pm

DG99 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:39 pm
Obviously don’t take it too seriously, it’s just my perspective, but I’ve not had great luck with those brands with some limited demos and ownership over the years. Never say never, your mileage may vary etc. but that’s why I said “I’d steer clear of.”
no hard feelings, actually curious!

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:23 pm

OK Long version. Most of this is alpine skiing:

K2 made some easy skiing tele skis back in the day. But I’ve had the sense their skis tend heavy and/or soft or just soft, maybe cheap. Didn’t help moving production to China as far as perspective.

I tried some volkl years ago, really nice, energetic. But recently demoed some Kendo 88s for hardpack and moguls and they seemed too light and stiff, grabby and squirrely, made me ski slow. I think K2 bought them out and moved some production to China, maybe quality suffers, or I just didn’t get along with that one.

Salomon and Rossignol seem kind of cheaper too, mass production. I had some nice ones at one time, but also tried some that weren’t so good. Like Atomic, the ones without wood cores are suspicious.

My daughter had some Elan Ripstick with the asymmetrical thing, bought off the shelf no demo. She ended up not liking and my wife didn’t like them either. For some reason.

My wife and I tried some skis recently looking for hardpack old snow skis. Both of us coincidentally preferred the Blizzards (Brahma, Black Pearl) over the Volkl or Rossignol offer. The Rossi experience is a nice soft but locked in carver but hard to maneuver in moguls etc., rather too locked in.

Fischer skis, I’d buy without trying if they’re the right length width etc. The above brands I’d be hesitant to do that. Also Nordica or Blizzard I’d have confidence in. Although I did not like Blizzard Cochise skis when they were so popular, just seemed heavy and lifeless with the no camber thing.

You might look for a Ranger 99ti from a couple years back, those are apparently more directional with a flatter, bigger tail. Out of production now.
https://www.powder7.com/Fischer-Ranger- ... s/for-sale

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:54 pm

DG99 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:23 pm
OK Long version. Most of this is alpine skiing:

K2 made some easy skiing tele skis back in the day. But I’ve had the sense their skis tend heavy and/or soft or just soft, maybe cheap. Didn’t help moving production to China as far as perspective.

I tried some volkl years ago, really nice, energetic. But recently demoed some Kendo 88s for hardpack and moguls and they seemed too light and stiff, grabby and squirrely, made me ski slow. I think K2 bought them out and moved some production to China, maybe quality suffers, or I just didn’t get along with that one.

Salomon and Rossignol seem kind of cheaper too, mass production. I had some nice ones at one time, but also tried some that weren’t so good. Like Atomic, the ones without wood cores are suspicious.

My daughter had some Elan Ripstick with the asymmetrical thing, bought off the shelf no demo. She ended up not liking and my wife didn’t like them either. For some reason.

My wife and I tried some skis recently looking for hardpack old snow skis. Both of us coincidentally preferred the Blizzards (Brahma, Black Pearl) over the Volkl or Rossignol offer. The Rossi experience is a nice soft but locked in carver but hard to maneuver in moguls etc., rather too locked in.

Fischer skis, I’d buy without trying if they’re the right length width etc. The above brands I’d be hesitant to do that. Also Nordica or Blizzard I’d have confidence in. Although I did not like Blizzard Cochise skis when they were so popular, just seemed heavy and lifeless with the no camber thing.

You might look for a Ranger 99ti from a couple years back, those are apparently more directional with a flatter, bigger tail. Out of production now.
https://www.powder7.com/Fischer-Ranger- ... s/for-sale
This is good perspective.
The Kendo 88 changed quite a bit in 22/23, that's the version I have and I'm really happy with them. A damp ride and very locked in when up on the rails carving around, yet still schmeary. They sell this 3D Radius bullshit and it's such a marketing scam. All they did was add very very shallow deep rocker so if you only slightly put it on edge you engage underfoot but if you punch them all the way over the entire edge engages and shortens the radii. This is how they lock in nice in a carve and yet schmear nice when needed. It was definitely what I was looking for, quiet at high speed. I detuned the tips and tails quite aggressively.

I'm with you with Rossi and Salomon. Avoid unless getting a good deal. There's a guy skiing in the ADKs for 100 days this season and he has blown up 3 pairs of Stances. after 20 days.

Agree Fischer, Nordica, Blizzard

Elans-- I have Ripstick 96 and 88 and I like that ski a lot. I think it's very ideal for telemark with the wider shovel to narrow tail, good tail release, tail sinks in powder, shovel up in powder, etc. I skied them two seasons and they were perfect. I'm now all hot for metal and quiet rides though, so these energetic guys take a backseat.

In other news, I received the Mindbender 99's today and they are, I hope, exactly what I'm looking for. Metal, flex, aft -10cm mount, 15mm diff between shovel and tail. I think these are a contender!!! If it's not this then maybe the Mantra 102 which I hear is basically a big wide Kendo88 but I wanted a slighty softer ski, which I get with the Mindbender99. Will report back!