Did The New TXPro Just Drop?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Re: Did The New TXPro Just Drop?

Post by telerat » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:18 am

If you are only skiing resorts with Outlaw X, then the new TX Pro does not seem to offer any/much advantage. The improved walk mode and less weight is the main advantages, and will likely be game changers for touring. It does mean that it is not suitable for skiing in walk mode any more. As always you can not get everything.

The liner also seems quite a bit thinner and the shell size is thus reduced, but one should still fin the same size. The last/fit could also change, but I think Scarpa will try to keep it similar to the current one. Warmth can/will also be affected with a thinner liner, so keeping an old boot for the coldest resort days may be an idea.

The new boot will be more expensive, as everything else nowadays, so unless you are after the walk mode, buying the current boots new on sale or used can be a good alternative. There are also murmurs/rumors that a new TX Comp could be released if the new TX Pro sells well, but that is a given with any product that sells well.

I am very happy that we get the new boot with better walk mode/larger range of motion, and this looks very promising to me. The BCT thread that has some impressions and experiences: https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... post130793

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:43 am

telerat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:18 am
If you are only skiing resorts with Outlaw X, then the new TX Pro does not seem to offer any/much advantage.
Yeah, this sounds right. The reviewer did seem pretty enthused about how they skied. And I like the new (old Tx style) middle buckle! I need new boots anyway, as my bellows are now failing. Decisions!

DG99

Post by DG99 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:09 am

The range of motion thing never really grabbed me. I just keep T2s very loosely buckled as needed, seems fine.

I also have T4s and miss the tall cuff on any sort of serious descent for sure, but plenty range of motion on T4s for XC skiing.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:23 am

I think if you’ve never skinned up with a modern AT boot you might not realize how amazing modern boots feel in walk mode. It’s like wearing sneakers. Now if you’re only low-angle touring it makes no difference but I can barely tolerate my T2s for anything uphill after knowing how good it can be.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:34 am

Hmm. I’ve got Scarpa Maestrale from a few years back, I think that’s better? But I don’t notice too much. I do skin up steeply some days. It’s just not a complaint I’ve been having, the ROM. Other boots are T2x. It seems like having a good free pivot mostly takes care of it. Along with loose cuff buckles.

I could see if in a rando race, maybe better ROM is less moves to transition uphill downhill without a bunch of buckling and unbuckling.

It certainly does sound like a big deal to some people!

Neil TP

Post by Neil TP » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:59 am

Neil from Telemark Pyrenees here. We've been testing the new TX Pros for the last three months.
They really are excellent both downhill and for touring.
Here's a blog of our test.
https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/scarp ... est-report
This blog is not sponsored by Scarpa, it's just what we think.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:29 pm

Neil TP wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:59 am
Neil from Telemark Pyrenees here. We've been testing the new TX Pros for the last three months.
They really are excellent both downhill and for touring.
Here's a blog of our test.
https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/scarp ... est-report
This blog is not sponsored by Scarpa, it's just what we think.
Thanks. I currently ski the Tx Pro one notch more upright than neutral, so the difference in published forward lean is something I'll have to assess.