Backcountry ski expeditioning

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Backcountry ski expeditioning

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:12 pm

MikeK wrote:I never used to do this when I was into winter camping, and I used to deal with the block of ice boot in the morning, but now it's pretty common for people to use vapor barrier socks. If you are broke you can just use plastic bread bags - but they aren't as durable.
Yes! Makes a world of difference too! I've pretty much tried all the commercial versions, and Exped makes the best as far as I am concerned, that is if you can get your hands on them!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 pm

bgregoire wrote:
MikeK wrote:And then there is Crispi's track record. They are not considered as high quality as the other Italian manufacturers.
What other leather ski boot manufacturers are there in Italy that produce NNN BC boots?
Oh - none that I know of. I just meant Crispi's leather boots in general. They make leather hiking boots and such... I've read a lot of bad reviews about them and it made me nervous. I've also read bad reviews of their old leather boots with 75mm soles claiming they weren't as well built as Asolo and Merrells which I believe were all made in Italy.

I found a review somewhere on the net, and I should have saved it but the guy said he'd been skiing for a few years with the Svartisen 75mm with no degradation in performance, and well that was good enough for me to give them a shot. But I'm just a day tripper when it comes to skiing. My requirements are much less.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:20 pm

MikeK wrote:
bgregoire wrote:
MikeK wrote:And then there is Crispi's track record. They are not considered as high quality as the other Italian manufacturers.
What other leather ski boot manufacturers are there in Italy that produce NNN BC boots?
Oh - none that I know of. I just meant Crispi's leather boots in general. They make leather hiking boots and such... I've read a lot of bad reviews about them and it made me nervous. I've also read bad reviews of their old leather boots with 75mm soles claiming they weren't as well built as Asolo and Merrells which I believe were all made in Italy.

I found a review somewhere on the net, and I should have saved it but the guy said he'd been skiing for a few years with the Svartisen 75mm with no degradation in performance, and well that was good enough for me to give them a shot. But I'm just a day tripper when it comes to skiing. My requirements are much less.
From what little I have read, I heard that the Crispi nordic ski boot line was created as a collaborative effort with a Norwegian "team". Perhaps that may forgive however much bad rap they had had for their hiking boot line?

The norwegians you meet in the mountains mostly all wear Alfa or Crispi these days:
http://www.sportsnett.no/s/c.aspx?cid=616
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:24 pm

Well that's good to know. I really like their boots.

Norwegians must have wide feet as well, because these designs fit different than the old leather styles. I'm a solid 44 with the old style Norwegian welted version, and a 43 with the Svartisen.

I'd actually consider buying a NNN version if I did more xcD type activity with NNN bindings. It's a very supportive boot IMO.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:46 pm

snowrunner wrote:I made a few overnight backcountry ski trip (from 2 to 6 days), and the biggest problem I've encountered so far with my partner is severely frozen boot in the morning. I wet my boat a lot in a day (mostly sweating), and after a long night outside, putting the boat back on is the worst torture ever. You need to break them again, warm them odd and endure cold feet for a long time before getting that "comfy" chilly wet boat. I've tried many tips to prevent humidity, which help a little bit, but not much, problem persist.

Next time, I don't care where I go, even if it's deadly flat, I'm definitely not leaving without a boat with a removable inner boat (ie: Plastic double boots).
Snowrunner, you definitely have to try out a vapour barrier liner sock between a liner sock and a thicker sock. A bread bad would work if you change it every day (to avoid it tearing). Commercial durable versions also exist, check out Exped and Rab (Integral Designs). Now if your boots also become wet from the outside, consider a glued super gaiter such as Berghaus Extrem Yeti. Sure, all in all, a leather boot with this system will weight around as much as a softer plastic boot (Excursion), but if your trip is mostly on the flats or low angled hills, you will want a boot that provides better K&G: leather, IMO at least.

snowrunner

Post by snowrunner » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 am

I've read before about the VB socks, but I've never try it yet. I'll give it a try next time.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14 am

I lust after Alfa boots (both ski and backpacking boots)- almost as much as I lust after Asnes skis!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:03 pm

snowrunner wrote:I've read before about the VB socks, but I've never try it yet. I'll give it a try next time.
also, sleep w/ your boots in the bottom of your sleeping bag. or at least inside your shelter.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:06 pm

1EyedJack wrote: also, sleep w/ your boots in the bottom of your sleeping bag. or at least inside your shelter.
No need to if they are dry! That's the gain you get from wearing VBLs all day long!

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:08 pm

I'm spoiled. I like warm boots in the morning.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein