Recommendations on helmets for long narrow oval heads

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Recommendations on helmets for long narrow oval heads

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:45 pm

Everyone says GYRO. I have one from 10 years ago. It's great fits me great. It's also been through the ringer and it's time to upgrade.

GYRO lasts have changed. Not as oval head friendly. I have tried them all on. Better than the other companies whose helmets are terribly round. Tight front and back and then wobbly side to side. Way too wobbly. (I know I know, the adjustment band blah blah blah, I would like it to at least fit somewhat correctly and then trim from there)

Anyone know anything about Sweet Protection? I hear they are OK with oval heads from some rando guy on the mountain last year.

Anyone?

エイダン.シダル

Re: Recommendations on helmets for long narrow oval heads

Post by エイダン.シダル » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:56 pm

Same issue here. Your DNA's not also Northern England, is it? I'll have to go to my garage storage unit tomorrow, look at what my bicycle helmet, ski helmet, and climbing helmet are. None fit perfectly, but I bought them simply as not excruciating, at any damn price. None are very new.

Another way to go is one of those ultralight 'expanded polypropylene' helmets like the Petzl climbing helmet I've linked: no outside shell, foam only. Fragile if handled carelessly, but are impact rated. Main benefit for you or I is their flexibility.

https://m.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Helmets/SIROCCO

Similar:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5063-426/Salathe-Helmet
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:54 am

I'm not sure what shape my head is. Some helmets have fit tight front to back in the past. I'm currently wearing a Smith Vantage MIPs in a medium. They make it as a "round contour" helmet as well, so maybe the one I have is more oval. I tried a Quantum on - the sizing on that is bizarre, as in I needed a large in that to fit like a medium.

I've crashed on a MIPs mtn bike helmet before. The technology works! Also, the Koroyd shock absorption is incorporated into fighter pilot helmets and is a significant improvement in avoiding concussions if you get run over by someone.

I replaced a Prett. It's not quite as oval friendly.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:23 am

I've worn Bolle helmets for a long time, a few different models over the years, none too flashy, and they fit me pretty well, I guess, as they're snug and I don't get headaches from wearing them all day. I have a similar head shape to what you mention, oval and large.
If you can, your best bet is to visit a ski/skate shop that sells different brands and try em all on to see what fits.
Some wear bike or climbing helmets, and I suppose they would work well enough if you can fit a cap underneath for warmth. Or a cover?
Are there any impact standards that apply to ski helmets v. the others? My ski helmets are certainly beefier than my climbing helmet and bicycle helmet...
Last edited by fgd135 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:27 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:54 am
I'm not sure what shape my head is. Some helmets have fit tight front to back in the past. I'm currently wearing a Smith Vantage MIPs in a medium. They make it as a "round contour" helmet as well, so maybe the one I have is more oval. I tried a Quantum on - the sizing on that is bizarre, as in I needed a large in that to fit like a medium.

I've crashed on a MIPs mtn bike helmet before. The technology works! Also, the Koroyd shock absorption is incorporated into fighter pilot helmets and is a significant improvement in avoiding concussions if you get run over by someone.

I replaced a Prett. It's not quite as oval friendly.
Agreed on Petzl shape, but without the shell, it bends to fit. Bliss! I need to get one. As for abrasions, and the cold, just put a winter cycling helmet cover over.

Helmets... I'm a 64cm, narrow, and I'm supposed to size and buy a separate one for cycling, skiing, climbing, and white water, then replace them at whatever the interval is? Think I'm going single helmet, expanded PP.

Decathlon has a half-price contender if you can get it where you live.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing- ... R-p-169763
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:49 pm

Just checked. My bike helmet is an XL Garneau, don't remember the model. Who knows if they've kept the shape, but the only helmet's fit well as an adult.