Tips for ski shop re-mounting crooked binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ira

Tips for ski shop re-mounting crooked binding

Post by Ira » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 am

Hi community,

Thanks for all the advice so far!

I took skis to a ski shop to get mounted (3-pin). Unfortunately they mounted it crooked/slightly diagonal. I'm grateful to the shop for having accommodated our disabilities (they picked up the skis curbside from our car and brought them out after they were done), and for the fact that they are willing to correct their mounting job for free, but I wanted to ask the community how problematic this is, and whether mounting twice in a close-by location could compromise the skis, and whether I should ask for something specific in the correction.

I didn't notice this until I put boots in there, and one of the bindings is not centered (rather, off to one side, so one side wings out more), but even more problematically, is slightly diagonal, so that a boot mounted on the pins is angled so much that the heel protrudes diagonally off the side of the ski (the width of heel that overhangs the ski is the length of my fingers from knuckle to tips), and almost half the heel plate (on the other side) is exposed.

Of course skiing that would be impossible without twisting an ankle (especially my ankles) so the shop will correct it.

But I read that too many remountings can compromised skis.

I'm concerned also if the new holes are right next to the existing holes (or overlap with them) that they'll have play/wriggle-room -- is that something to be concerned about? Should I ask them to remount it forward or back to avoid the holes they already made?

Based on the pictures, should I give the ski shop any instructions, or should I just say "please mount it straight and centered"?

Also, for optimum glide, is this the correct spot (these skis are unfortunately too short for my weight, and press flat against the floor when I stand on them, weight evenly distributed, even without boots)? I believe they said they mounted pin lines on center. This is a Fischer S-bound 98 in 159 (I'm 130 lbs but they didn't have 169).

Pictures below (I'm not complaining about the shop, everyone makes mistakes, I just want to make sure that it's corrected in a way that doesn't compromise the ski, and hopefully maximizes what little glide these skis will have).
crookedmountheal.jpg
crookedmountwholeskis.jpg
crookedmountback.jpg
Crookedmountfingers.jpg
crookedmount1.jpg

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Tips for ski shop re-mounting crooked binding

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:13 am

This looks like the right shoe in the left binding to me? Or am I seeing this wrong? The bindings are not supposed to be symmetrical.
Can you put both skis without shoes in, flat on the ground and take a closer picture of both side by side?

And yes these fjellski will compress flat, only the stiffest, most directional fjellski will have stiff enough camber to not be completely flat when weighted. The drag is not very noticeable in loose snow, but this is also why wax skis are faster.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:09 am

Roelant wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:13 am
This looks like the right shoe in the left binding to me? [...]
I think you are right @Roelant. There is a little triangle or arrow punched out of these bindings. The arrows should be pointing to the outside, away from each other.

I don't have a good way to say for sure that the boot in the photo is for the right foot, but it 'looks' like a right boot to me.
arrow.PNG

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:24 am

Love the color combination of your new 98's and the Alpina Alaska. They look beautiful. As others have noted, the arrow cutout on the binding points to the outside. Years ago, the 75 mm bindings had a stamped indicator that was hard to see when the binding plate packed with ice, so lots of people would put a couple dabs of red fingernail polish on the top edge of the right ski binding so it was easy to identify.
Last edited by Tom M on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:02 pm

As others have said, there is a right and left binding, to match right and left boot.

I remember attaching the bail to the binding with a short, thin piece of rope, so that if the bail popped off, it would not be lost in the snow.
Is this still a thing?
:?:

gwilson

Post by gwilson » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:38 pm

I messed up a mount and did this once, with no one to blame but myself. I decided to install a 4-hole patterned riser and put the binding on that. The riser holes don't end up anywhere near the original 3-pin holes and I figured they might bridge any weaknesses from the first set of holes. Worked for me.

Ira

Post by Ira » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:38 am

I'm so sorry everyone, I'm very embarrassed but you're you're right. It was the wrong boot.

For 5 years, I've been skiing with Rossi BC 90's, Rotefella Super-Tele 3-pin, and Fischer BCX 675, and in that combination, the fact that I didn't know that bindings are "right" and "left" was not noticeable. I didn't know that the little diamond indicated whether it was right or left. (I just got skis, and started skiing flats, no lessons, so no one telling me that the bindings have a right or left).

I'm new to these Voile bindings and the Alaska boots, and in those, it really matters.

I did then put the other boot on the binding, and, although one side of the heel goes slightly over to side, it's nowhere near as pronounced as when the wrong boot was on there. It doesn't happen on the other ski (The ski shop looked at it and said the bindings are straight, and that boots can sometimes be not 100% symmetrical). With the correct boot, the difference is small -- the heel rest is entirely covered by the boot -- the boot only hangs over the heel rest less than a cm on one side, and on the other side of the heel plate the boot covers it all without overhanging. Ski shop said it shouldn't affect performance, and I get that sense as well from standing on it (will know for sure once there's actual snow).

Sorry everyone for my lack of knowledge on this matter. I wish I could delete my original posting about "crooked bindings" because it was my putting the wrong boot on them that made them seem crooked!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:15 am

@@Ira, nothing to be embarrassed about — it makes an amusing story.
:lol:

We’ve all had our share of things like that.

Just so you know, everyone has access to edit and delete options for their own posts.
(See picture, below.)
I have deleted posts, when I realize I have posted inaccurately.
And edit when I leave words out, or whatever.

If you wanted, you could even go back to your original post, do an edit, and add
EDIT: Oops, disregard — user error
(or whatever) at the top.
1C2254E8-4AAC-47B4-9CE4-50738047C769.jpeg

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:33 am

Ira wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:38 am
I'm so sorry everyone, I'm very embarrassed but you're you're right. It was the wrong boot.
That's a mistake most of us have probably made before. I have skied down a mountain with my skis on the wrong foot, only to have a friend point it out at the bottom.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:20 am

riel wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:33 am
That's a mistake most of us have probably made before. I have skied down a mountain with my skis on the wrong foot, only to have a friend point it out at the bottom.
Yup. I once drove 100 miles to ski and forgot my poles, and every season I get to the top of a long run and forget to drop my climbing wires for the downhill run. It usually makes for a great face plant. :lol: