Typical Resale Value of a Season Old Ski Sold Flat?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Typical Resale Value of a Season Old Ski Sold Flat?

Post by fisheater » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:47 pm

I’m not a buyer/seller kind of guy. So I’m wondering if I were to buy a ski and decide it really doesn’t work for for me, what is the typical percentage of original sale price is it worth? I’ll go out on a limb, and add if the ski doesn’t work for me it would be likely I end up stepping on the tails once or twice.
They would probably be clean after that, with the exception of holes. What percentage of original value is available in the resale market? Assuming things are more normal in spring or next fall /early winter.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Typical Resale Value of a Season Old Ski Sold Flat?

Post by fgd135 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:22 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:47 pm
They would probably be clean, with the exception of holes.
How many holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall?
Ski depreciation is considerable, imo.
If it's a current model in great shape, inc. the bases, with desirable bindings attached, I'd try to post it on Craigslist or etc. at close to, but just below, what you paid for them. Knock off $$$ if the bindings are removed.
If you get no buyers, drop the price in small increments every week until it sells, pre and early season, except during snow storms, in which case I'd jack the price back up--buyers are motivated by the weather. Not kidding. In season they will sell for more than in the off season.
Skis with considerable cosmetic damage, and older skis, are worth hardly anything. Older drilled skis without bindings are worth much less than that, you might even have to pay someone to take 'em.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen