Alpina va Fischer sizing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Alpina va Fischer sizing

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:08 pm

Before posting the question here i tried to get the info from the great Benjamin thread https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2155 but to no avail… So I am wondering if Alpina and Ficher sizing compare. Simply… does a 47 Alpina is the same size of a Fischer 47? It feels like boots in my size will be hard to get by so I don’t want to miss an opportunity. Thanks!

John Dee

Re: Alpina va Fischer sizing

Post by John Dee » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:34 pm

I normally wear a 10 US. It's primarily for width, but almost no 9.5 shoe in the US fits me lengthwise either. Alpina sizing is large. A 44 is definintely a 10.5. They are wide, too. I comfortably fit in an Alpina 43.

Fischer is probably more accurate. I did great in some 43 OTX3 last year but it was close lengthwise. I tried on a 43 OTX5 just now and I thought it was too small. So a 43 is probably a large 9.5.

I think that technically a 43 is 9 3/4.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:27 am

I don't personally find Alpina sizing "large"- at least not the Alaska BC (which is the only model I own with).
The length of the footbed is consistent between all of the following size 42EU touring boots I own:
- Alpina Alaska BC
- Alfa Guard BC
- Crispi Svatisen BC
- Crispi Lofoten 75
- Fischer BCX6
- Rossiginol BCX6

The boot volumetrics-geometry is different between all of these boots.

The EU-US-UK sizing conversion charts between all of these manufacturers can be VERY different, inconsistent and confusing.

In my limited experience- Scarpa's sizing conversion chart seems to me the most accurate:
https://www.scarpa.com/size-chart

For example, I have a size 43EU Alaska that I use with liners for multiday tours- they are stamped as 43EU/9US- they are DEFINITELY not a size 9US- closer to a size 10US/9UK- Scarpa's conversion showing a 43EU stradling 9.5-10US seems accurate to me.

My point? My limited experience is that the EU sizing is consistent in terms of footbed-length.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:59 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:27 am
I don't personally find Alpina sizing "large"- at least not the Alaska BC (which is the only model I own with).
The length of the footbed is consistent between all of the following size 42EU touring boots I own:

My point? My limited experience is that the EU sizing is consistent in terms of footbed-length.
That is very good information! I guess that means I should look for NNN-BC boots in the same EU size as my 75mm boots, then :)

The EU sizing being consistent in terms of footbed-length makes sense now that I think about it: there is only one supplier of NNN-BC outer soles (Rottefella), and one supplier of 75mm outer soles (Vibram). All the boot manufacturers build on top of the same outer soles.