NNN-BC choice: when are Magnums a real advantage?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CoreyLayton

NNN-BC choice: when are Magnums a real advantage?

Post by CoreyLayton » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:12 am

Hello.

Rottefella suggests their Magnum NNN-BC are suitable for ski widths down to 52mm.
That leaves quite a bit of "overhang" on the sides of skiis with center widths around this minimum.

Does anyone experience any "drag" or "interference" with either fresh snow or self-made track (during turns, or otherwise) when mounted on a sub-60mm wide ski? and do they offer a real advantage over the regular NNN-BC on skiis of this width when turning or just in ski control in general?

Thanks!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: NNN-BC choice: when are Magnums a real advantage?

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:17 am

No on drag. Your boot is going to drag more than the binding, look how far the boot overhangs the ski. Theoretical advantage to the wings when turning.

I have NNN-BC MANUAL on my MT-51 (51 in the waist). I did this because it looks better, but I would've gone with Magnum if it was all I ad. No problem. Sometimes, like my Fischer BC Country, which are also 52mm in the waist I put straight NNN on them as they are much lighter, and I use them usually in groomed snow/tracks. It depends on the ski and usage in this waist range.

There are 3 NNN-BC bindings: The Manual, the Magnum, and then Auto. The Manual (non Magnum) has a slimmer profile is you don't want the larger wings of the Magnum. It can be more difficult to find though. Nordic Skater has some, usually.

EDIT retailers screw this up all the time too. So be ready to see pictures of the Magnum on a Manual listing, and be ready to receive a Magnum after ordering a Manual.

2nd EDIT forgot to specify which binding on my MT51

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 am

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:17 am
No on drag. Your boot is going to drag more than the binding, look how far the boot overhangs the ski. Theoretical advantage to the wings when turning.

I have NNN-BC MANUAL on my MT-51 (51 in the waist). I did this because it looks better, but I would've gone with Magnum if it was all I ad. No problem. Sometimes, like my Fischer BC Country, which are also 52mm in the waist I put straight NNN on them as they are much lighter, and I use them usually in groomed snow/tracks. It depends on the ski and usage in this waist range.

There are 3 NNN-BC bindings: The Manual, the Magnum, and then Auto. The Manual (non Magnum) has a slimmer profile is you don't want the larger wings of the Magnum. It can be more difficult to find though. Nordic Skater has some, usually.

EDIT retailers screw this up all the time too. So be ready to see pictures of the Magnum on a Manual listing, and be ready to receive a Magnum after ordering a Manual.

2nd EDIT forgot to specify which binding on my MT51
That's good to hear: I bought Magnums on sale last spring, thinking I might get Ingstads (62mm waist), but I got Gammes instead (54mm waist). A shame the aesthetics on my best, new Nordic skis won't be as svelte.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:46 am

I put a manual on my Gamme for the same reason Woods did on his MT-51. I like the look.
I notice no advantage in skiing performance between the magnum and the manual. On my bindings the magnum is easier to operate with gloved hands than the manual. It is noticeable. However if it’s a sub 60 mm ski, and I need to order a binding I would still order a manual.
I admit that is kind of weird looks over functionality thing, especially since I have favorite ski clothes repaired with duct tape. That look doesn’t bother me at all!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:57 am

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:37 am

That's good to hear: I bought Magnums on sale last spring, thinking I might get Ingstads (62mm waist), but I got Gammes instead (54mm waist). A shame the aesthetics on my best, new Nordic skis won't be as svelte.
I have Magnums on my Gammes AND my E99's. For years and years. It's a great pairing I think. You are all good!

MT51 vs Gamme
PXL_20211015_155611823.jpg

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:50 pm

Thanks to you both. Magnums for my Gammes then. My other cheap option is worse: put the Magnums on my Nordic tour skates, NNN BC automatics on my Gammes.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:54 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:50 pm
Thanks to you both. Magnums for my Gammes then. My other cheap option is worse: put the Magnums on my Nordic tour skates, NNN BC automatics on my Gammes.
yeah, don't do that! Gamme deserves the best.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:50 pm

I have had nothing but a bad time with the NNN-BC autos on my wife's skis. She has no trouble getting in and out of alpine gear. It is a real PITA to try to step down with your toe when you can't see if it is lined up and it may or may not be packed with ice. Even worse sometimes it will be 'sort of' attached and then fall off later.

Even when I crawl in the snow and try to line up her boot it takes a few tries to get in engaged.

I think I am going to end up taking them off and mounting manuals.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:49 pm

FourthCoast wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:50 pm
I have had nothing but a bad time with the NNN-BC autos on my wife's skis. She has no trouble getting in and out of alpine gear. It is a real PITA to try to step down with your toe when you can't see if it is lined up and it may or may not be packed with ice. Even worse sometimes it will be 'sort of' attached and then fall off later.

Even when I crawl in the snow and try to line up her boot it takes a few tries to get in engaged.

I think I am going to end up taking them off and mounting manuals.
In general I prefer manual to automatic... anything. I've got two pair of automatic NNN BC bindings, because they were on sale, like the Magnums. Magnums on the Gammes will see the hard use. One pair of automatics is on wooden Bonna 1800s; the other on Nordic tour skates: neither will see the hard use of the Gammes.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:58 am

The boot-binding interface is identical between all of the NNNBC bindings.
There is no difference in skiing performance between any of them.
The Magnum's wider manual lever makes them easier to get in/out of the binding.
In my local climate I have seen fellow skiers have significant trouble with the Auto freezing up.

I do "think" that the wider platform of the Magnum releives some stress on the binding mechanism. When I put my boot in the Manual/Magnum and put leverage on the boot sole- I think I can "see"/"feel"/"sense" more stress on the Manual.
I don't know if this fact.

I put the Magnum on my skis that I know I am going to be really stessing in steep terrain.
I have the Manual on my narrower touring skis that I tend to keep to more gentler-moderate lines (e.g. E99/Gamme 54).
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.