Does Fischer Transnordic 66 + 82 make sense?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CoreyLayton

Re: Does Fischer Transnordic 66 + 82 make sense?

Post by CoreyLayton » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:44 pm

johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:30 am
I'm trying to sort out my quiver for this year and I think I've finally settled on what I am going to get:

Alpina Alaska boots
Fischer Transnordic 66 Easy Skin in 195cm
Fischer Transnordic 82 Easy Skin in 196cm

Height: 178cm
Weight: 72kb

For context, I'm in south-eastern Ontario. I primarily ski right outside my backdoor, we're surrounded by farm fields, open meadows, and some forested areas. We've also got a provincial park not far from here that has sand dunes that provide some tiny hills to go up and down. As well, we've got family in Quebec City so looking for something that can tackle hills when they come up. Last year I had really mixed conditions: 12" of fresh snow, snowmobile trails, packed trails.

I'm thinking my most used ski will be the Transnordic 66 and for days with a lot of fresh snow (not that often) and I'm looking to break trail, the 82 will be nice. The 82 would also provide me something a bit better to use in the Quebec City area.

Some other skis that I've considered:

- Asnes Otto (possible all-in-one, but newer ski with no reviews)
- Fischer Traverse 78 (potential all-in-one, review mentions them as boring in comparison to the 82/E109)

Any advice here is appreciated, sizing and models... I've done a lot of research here and have gone in circles trying to decide.
I'm in a similar boat.
I own the TN66, and want to compliment with a wider ski to break trail and/or use in deeper fresh snow.

Have you read much on the TN82?
My impressions is that other Fisher model(s) might be better suited for this purpose.

My research has lead to the Traverse 78 and/or the Excursion 88.
Had you looked at either of these?
Last edited by CoreyLayton on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:49 pm

CoreyLayton wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:41 pm
johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:39 pm
But once the snow mobiles get to it,
why is it,
that when you break your own trail through an open field,
when you return to it another day,
looking forward to a fast kick and glide adventure,
the snowmobiles have obliterated your tracks? :|

I always tend to stay just inside the tree line at the edges of open fields,
for this reason, if I can help it.
I hear that! I don't understand why, when I've made the first tracks (like 10 feet wide) on a run and the whole damn mountain is available, someone then has to zig zag right through my tracks (at around 100 feet wide) before I even get half way up! Now, I'm riding the lift, but still, it's like an 11 minute circuit.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:49 pm

Montana St Alum wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:49 pm
CoreyLayton wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:41 pm
johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:39 pm
But once the snow mobiles get to it,
why is it,
that when you break your own trail through an open field,
when you return to it another day,
looking forward to a fast kick and glide adventure,
the snowmobiles have obliterated your tracks? :|

I always tend to stay just inside the tree line at the edges of open fields,
for this reason, if I can help it.
I hear that! I don't understand why, when I've made the first tracks (like 10 feet wide) on a run and the whole damn mountain is available, someone then has to zig zag right through my tracks (at around 100 feet wide) before I even get half way up! Now, I'm riding the lift, but still, it's only an 11 minute circuit.

johnnycanuck
Ski style: BC XC

Post by johnnycanuck » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:31 pm

CoreyLayton wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:44 pm
I'm in a similar boat.
I own the TR66, and want to compliment with a wider ski to break trail and/or use in deeper fresh snow.

Have you read much on the TR82?
My impressions is that other Fisher model(s) might be better suited for this purpose.

My research has lead to the Traverse 78 and/or the Excursion 88.
Had you looked at either of these?
It's been tough doing extensive research given that these skis are brand new, but these resources stuck out. First this one which helps to describe the changes to the Fischer lineup: https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/fisch ... -2022-skis

And then this thread here that compares all the models we've mentioned: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2709

And another thread comparing Nansen to the E109: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2342 (also drops the T78 as an option)

---

The gist of what I have read is that the Traverse 78 is a good all-around ski, but master of none. Where as the E109 is highly regarded in the deeper snow and downhill. Now, the TN82 is not an exact replica of the E109, so YMMV.

It's a really tough choice I must say, if there wasn't limited inventory due to COVID, it would make this choice much easier knowing that I could sit and decide when I want them lol. The local shops haven't even got their inventory (or not much at least) and it's making me antsy to the point that I'm considering ordering from Europe.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:45 pm

You folks have read these two E109 reviews right? Useful if you haven't.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1278

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2342

PERSONALLY , I would go with a E99/Transnordic 66 without a doubt. The trail breaking ski, however, would be an Ingstad. (I'm assuming wax since you are not getting the crown versions of the skis. I would get a 200 E99/TN66 at your weight.

If I couldn't get an Ingstad, then either a Nansen or T78 depending on availability. Another good contender would be the Combat NATO, especially if you get crust.

The reason I would not do the 109/82 is the more flexible tip would annoy me and there would be overlap with the 66 in terms of this. The Ingstad might have similar dimensions but it's a sturdier ski.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:46 pm

johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:31 pm

It's been tough doing extensive research given that these skis are brand new, but these resources stuck out. First this one which helps to describe the changes to the Fischer lineup: https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/fisch ... -2022-skis

I'm glad you found the other threads, beat me to it!

These skis are not brand new. The Transnordic 66 is only rebranded E99 Xtralite. No change materially.

EDIT apologies the 82 changed, notice the length difference!

johnnycanuck
Ski style: BC XC

Post by johnnycanuck » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:45 pm
PERSONALLY , I would go with a E99/Transnordic 66 without a doubt. The trail breaking ski, however, would be an Ingstad. (I'm assuming wax since you are not getting the crown versions of the skis. I would get a 200 E99/TN66 at your weight.
I appreciate the advice

I should note one thing, I have the wax version selected because that is the only thing the dealer has available that I'm looking up - I want the crown but I am battling inventory madness :cry: Though with the TN66, I feel like I could hold off and see what dealers near me get in the next few weeks... I imagine someone will get a few pairs given its popularity.

---
If I couldn't get an Ingstad, then either a Nansen or T78 depending on availability. Another good contender would be the Combat NATO, especially if you get crust.
What do you think of the Otto Sverdrup? I'm reading through the Asnes thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1772&sid=9fae78a5ab ... &start=330) and it perks my ears up for what it proposes to offer. Though it is a pricier option and I'm less confident about the wider ski I want

edit: just found your thoughts lol viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4083&sid=9fae78a5ab ... 25c8bfc14d

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:26 pm

The E99 has always been under represented in the States, not sure about Canada.

I have two Otto's on order but I won't get them until January.

Go a bit long if you get Crown, it's very effective.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:58 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:26 pm
The E99 has always been under represented in the States, not sure about Canada.

I have two Otto's on order but I won't get them until January.

Go a bit long if you get Crown, it's very effective.
I think you may be too light for the longest pair of Otto’s. Lucky for you I know a guy in Michigan that will be happy to help you out if that turns out to be the case.
Just so you know, it’s you and Crister that have convinced me that I’m just to heavy for a Nansen.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:03 pm

'johnnycanuck', I believe we've communicated on another thread, and we're in the same boat:
- Southern Ontarians, looking for narrower and wider skis
- loathe to get a compromise ski
- and will take them aussi à la belle province

You might remember, I've gone with:
- Fischer S Bound Outabounds 88s, with 3-pins (because I got them for a song)
- Åsnes Gamme, with NNN BC (full retail on the skis and X-skins, sale last year on the bindings)

I'm a lot less experienced off-piste than many people here, and haven't skied either yet, but if I might offer a suggestion, from my own experience with sporting goods: don't buy all the equipment at once, because your experience with it will change your priorities and knowledge. You might end up with skis you don't want.

Also, if you're perfectly happy with one, or the other Fischers: great. If not, better to spend more on one pair of Åsnes you'll be happier with. Get a second pair later, at your leisure. Perhaps on sale.

As for the Otto Sverdrup for you, you might be in deeper snow more often than me. In which case, they're not a 'compromise ski', but the right one. Most of my 'backcountry' skiing is on well traveled trails: Kolapore Uplands, provincial parks, etc. That's what the Gammes are for, and the Charlevoix Traverse, in future. My Fischer S Bound Outabounds 88s are for no-tracks, deep snow days. Perhaps Les Chic-Chocs in future.

Just my $0.02.