woohoo! Palisades Tahoe( formerly known as Squaw Valley) sky Race

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

woohoo! Palisades Tahoe( formerly known as Squaw Valley) sky Race

Post by bauerb » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:43 am

just found out this morning that I was accepted into the Squaw Valley Broken Arrow Sky Race. its a trail running race. Probably too soon to bring skis though, race is Oct 3rd. I had submitted an entry a few months ago as a long shot, and had kind of forgotten about it. I'll be arriving with zero altitude prep, so it will be hard. I'm super excited though because its a big time race. I think I should also be able to look at new tele boots while I am there and maybe even get them fitted. where I live in PA, there are not stores that sell tele gear, so I have to take advantage of trips like this to go to the good gear shops. I know there used to be a shop that sold tele gear a few miles down the mountain from Squaw, but that was years ago and I don't recall the name. if anyone knows a shop in the area, please let me know.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: woohoo! Palisades Tahoe( formerly known as Squaw Valley) sky Race

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:13 pm

bauerb wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:43 am
where I live in PA, there are not stores that sell tele gear, so I have to take advantage of trips like this to go to the good gear shops.
I feel the same way, but with tele rentals. I am still itching to rent some NTN gear. Alas, my choice of final destination is not usually where the rental shops carry NTN gear. Sometimes I get a glimmer of hope, only to find out they only carry 75-mm gear.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:11 pm

so I hiked up the race course today to watch the 52km race. same course as my 26km tomorrow. I decided to jog down an access road to get back to the finish to see the leaders. I notice someone behind me catching up. she catches up to me and starts chatting. I'm a big fan of hers and I can now say for sure that when you see her in videos and interviews that she is who she is. super friendly and nice. asked me a bunch of questions about my race etc. and I got a pic! yes I am a total fan boy of Courtney Dewalter
courtney Selfie.jpg

freeheelfreemind
Ski style: Telemark
Favorite Skis: S-Bound 112s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75

Post by freeheelfreemind » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:28 am

I am a huge fan of Courtney. Awesome.
I want her to win at LMS on the 16th!
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:08 am

I saw an interview with her awhile back that she would be doing another LMS. what's the name of the race on the 16th? is it Bigs?

on the 16th I'm racing the 6hrs of Mad River Glenn. as many laps up/down the ski resort as possible.

freeheelfreemind
Ski style: Telemark
Favorite Skis: S-Bound 112s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75

Post by freeheelfreemind » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:35 pm

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=80607

Last time she tried so hard to win. She got lazy and quit after running only 279 miles ;) She finished "second".

Good luck in your 6hrs of Mad - but you can check her progress later that day, night, the next morning, the next night ....
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:08 am

there is a reason they note that 2nd place is the "assist" to the winner of LMS events. I see that Maggie G is racing....she won the F class at the Cocodona 250 earlier this year. should be a good race.