(Asnes) fishscale ideas

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: (Asnes) fishscale ideas

Post by Woodserson » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 am

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:40 am
Well I know peeps on this site tend to like there skis on the long side, maybe they would climb better if they were sized down and still have acceptable glide. It sounds like more of a problem than just in specific situations. I find it hard to believe Asnes doesn't have this right.
There is some truth to this, though I wasn't too happy on the 195cm Ingstads. And I do think different lengths should have different length patterns so the ratio of scale:glide are the same form ski to ski, though.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:18 am

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 am
lowangle al wrote:
Well I know peeps on this site tend to like there skis on the long side, maybe they would climb better if they were sized down and still have acceptable glide. It sounds like more of a problem than just in specific situations. I find it hard to believe Asnes doesn't have this right.
There is some truth to this, though I wasn't too happy on the 195cm Ingstads. And I do think different lengths should have different length patterns so the ratio of scale:glide are the same form ski to ski, though.
I agree with you there. I feel the same about sidecut for different lengths.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:27 am

lowangle al wrote:
I remember reading (on the Asnes web site?) that their waxless pattern was developed in cooperation with Cecilie Skog, which makes me think they were probably tested on the skis with her name on them, which have the same flex as the Nansens. I don't know how tall she is, but from videos I would guess she probably uses skis around 180cm long.

I rather suspect Asnes did get the fishscale pattern placement and right. For the Nansen/Cecilie of about 180cm long.

That doesn't mean the exact same fishscale pattern placement and length is right for eg. the 205cm long Ingstad, or the 210cm long Finnmark. Those skis not only are longer, they also have a very different camber and flex.

The longer, stiffer skis probably want a slightly adjusted fishscale pattern placement from that used on the shorter, softer skis. Asnes already seems to adjust the placement of the X-Skin attachment point based on the camber and flex of each ski. Making similar adjustments for the fishscale pattern doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

I hope they will make changes like this, and turn their skis from "the best for advanced skiers" into something that will also be really enjoyable for beginner and intermediate skiers to use.