NTN boots for uphill skinning

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

NTN boots for uphill skinning

Post by bauerb » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:02 pm

I bought some AT boots last year( Atomic Hawx) for use in skinning up resort ski trails, and some skimo racing.
the range of motion in the ankle is pretty good.
this year I want to replace my really old Scarpa TXpro NTN boots. my new boots will be my primary resort skiing tele boots.
the new boots will likely be a robust 4-buckle boot. but I am hoping to find some boots that have really good "walk mode" and give me more range of motion in the ankle for skinning.
I've read a bunch of articles on the internet, and from what I can tell there really isn't an NTN tele boot that has the same range of motion as modern AT boots.
so my question: does anyone have 1st hand experience with an NTN tele boot that has better than average range of motion in walk mode?

thanks

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: NTN boots for uphill skinning

Post by Woodserson » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:05 pm

I'd also ask about simple modifications also that could be performed.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Go to earnyourturns.com
Those guys have as many threads on that subject as we have on Asnes Skis!

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Start here for inspiration:

https://www.instagram.com/telemark_is_undead_/

Ziggy
Ski style: Touring, telemarking

Post by Ziggy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Use Lynx bindings.

In tour mode with TX Pros loosened off, you feel like you're wearing slippers.
Cheers from Down Under

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Ziggy wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:19 pm
In tour mode with TX Pros loosened off, you feel like you're wearing slippers.
Not to be argumentative -- and I suppose everything is relative -- but once you've skinned in something like an F1, skinning in TX Pros feels like you're wearing concrete shoes.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:56 pm

I don't mind training in heavier boots and some races even have a "Heavy metal" class that I believe requires 4 buckles. anyway, weight is strength training, right? what I am trying to find is a 4 buckle tele boot that has good ankle flex. from what I can tell, most tele boots are not good in this regard. but matching the tele boot ankle movement to the correct risers on the bindings is important. the less my ankle can rotate, the more heel riser I need.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:21 pm

bauerb wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:56 pm
I don't mind training in heavier boots and some races even have a "Heavy metal" class that I believe requires 4 buckles. anyway, weight is strength training, right? what I am trying to find is a 4 buckle tele boot that has good ankle flex.
I hear ya. If the point is to get in a workout, then yeah who cares about weight; it's all about ROM. The stunted, unnatural stride that low-ROM boots force upon you sucks for multiple reasons.
bauerb wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:56 pm
from what I can tell, most tele boots are not good in this regard. but matching the tele boot ankle movement to the correct risers on the bindings is important. the less my ankle can rotate, the more heel riser I need.
In theory, yeah, but where TX Pros (and all NTN boots) really lack is in the rearward ROM. So to get your lower leg to match the angle achieved by someone in a good AT boot, you'd have to pretty much go no-rise with the heel lifter (even then you're probably still at a big rearward disadvantage). And then to get good forward ROM, you're fighting against the cuff and tongue every stride. I say go big! Start hacking stuff up!! Or find some F1's and get a TTS setup.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:35 am

I found out last night that Aspinock Woods( tele markdown) runs a full demo shop at Camelback( PA). I didn't realize that there was enough demand in this area to support a demo shop. I was texting last night with the guy who runs it and he says they stock the latest boots, bindings and skis. sounds like I will actually get to try before I buy. very cool.