Some of you said Gammes don't turn, but...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: Some of you said Gammes don't turn, but...

Post by Nick BC » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:37 pm

I think riel nailed it. Wasn’t there a law suit around Fischer allegedly ripping off Asnes skin attachment system?

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Speaking of Chamonix, we might be going there next March for a wk. Do they allow NNN BC at the resort? can I use my Falketind 62, NNN BC, Alfa Guard? Is the snow light and powdery? I would love to take 2 setups there and use FT62 on some variable terrain and a heavy wide downhill set for the Vallee Blanche.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:02 am

Nick BC wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:37 pm
I think riel nailed it. Wasn’t there a law suit around Fischer allegedly ripping off Asnes skin attachment system?
The lawsuit about the skins got settled years ago.

I think what may be a larger factor here is that Fischer and Rossignol are selling NNN and NNN-BC compatible bindings, which took a major bite out of Rottefella's business. Of course, they're still buying Rottefella soles, and may well be the largest customer for those NNN-BC soles, so it must be an interesting business relationship :)

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm

I wasn’t aware that Fischer made an XCD binding. I thought they just rebadged the Rotte NNNBC manual and Magnum?

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:45 am

I personally like Fischer EZ skin system better than Asnes Xskins. the metal can scrape up your pocket or backpack if you dont store it in the bag. also, in the backcountry, if it comes off, you may not know until its too late. EZ skins stay attached at the tip even when the skins fail and also, you can do a quick check to see if they are still on just by looking down. and EZ skins can be conveniently rolled up and stashed in a pocket without worry. Asnes skins work well in dry snow with no obstacles and contaminants. not good for summer skiing. They can be removed easily without taking the skis off, whereas Fischer skins are hard to take off with skis on.
FB_IMG_1624344321813.jpg

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:53 pm

Nick BC wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm
I wasn’t aware that Fischer made an XCD binding. I thought they just rebadged the Rotte NNNBC manual and Magnum?
Oh, I suppose that is possible and I just got confused by seeing Fischer and Rossignol "BCX" bindings up for sale with no hint of the Rottefella name, or of the NNN-BC binding type.

NNN is probably where the real market share is, anyway.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:22 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:25 pm
Speaking of Chamonix, we might be going there next March for a wk. Do they allow NNN BC at the resort? can I use my Falketind 62, NNN BC, Alfa Guard? Is the snow light and powdery? I would love to take 2 setups there and use FT62 on some variable terrain and a heavy wide downhill set for the Vallee Blanche.
Dude it's Europe you can pretty much do whatever you want in the mountains. It's totally different from the States.

Snow can be variable depending on elevation.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:46 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:22 pm
jyw5 wrote:
Dude it's Europe you can pretty much do whatever you want in the mountains. It's totally different from the States.

What does this mean!

Forgive the dumb question, but we’re thinking about coming to the US/ Canada this winter, and I’m actually curious about what is and isn’t possible. Is there anything preventing you from stopping the car and slithering into a wild-looking valley in North America?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:38 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:46 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:22 pm
jyw5 wrote:

What does this mean!

Forgive the dumb question, but we’re thinking about coming to the US/ Canada this winter, and I’m actually curious about what is and isn’t possible. Is there anything preventing you from stopping the car and slithering into a wild-looking valley in North America?
Monsieur le Musk,
I can guanrantee you endless terrain, spectacular forest, and deep snow- with no restrictions (other than interspersions of impenetreble young tree thickets).
And if you bring your beloved Lundhags BC boots- we have a plethora of skis to choose from.
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:00 pm

Musk Ox,
In the United States private property rights rule. Within the past ten years had a case in the Michigan Supreme Court stating that the public has the right to walk along the high water line along the Great Lakes. However our history is much different than European history. The invention of barbed wire allowed homesteaders to fence their claims. Historic free range was no longer free. While in Michigan we have the right to traverse any navigable River, with navigable being defined as able to float logs (from the big logging days). I still contend with a guy, that owns 3 acres on a navigable river, that wants to give me problems about walking on his property to avoid a deep hole. He owns 3 acres in the middle of thousands of acres of National Forest! I have checked with the local Conservation Officer, and I am on legal ground, but private property prevails in the U.S.
Now the good news is that there is lots of public land, National and State lands. I know my State of Michigan is much more liberal than the Fed’s. I pay $10 to access all State land. However the Fed’s have 3 National Forests and a National Lakeshore I access. I’ll access from an out of the way location every chance I get rather than pay some of the fees they want. However when I’m traveling to a different State where I don’t know my way around, I pay all required Federal fees.
I’m not trying to scare you. If you park at a Federal trailhead, and they want a fee, there will be a kiosk where you drop an envelope with cash into a secure tube. I don’t know how people that buy a 12 pack with their credit card swing that!