Some of you said Gammes don't turn, but...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: Some of you said Gammes don't turn, but...

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:50 am

dave52 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:25 pm
fischer-bcx-transnordic-boots.jpg

fischer-bcx-grand-tour-boots.jpg

From pages 34 & 35 in the Fischer 21/22 catalog:
https://issuu.com/fischersportsgmbh/doc ... FiNTI3OTkw

Cool boots! Curious how stiff the boot flex is on the BCX Transnordic. The Grand Tours look appealing too, looks like they don't have the adjustable heel feature.
Does anybody have fresh info on the Fischer Transnordic boots? Did anyone had the chance to compare them to the Alaska?

It is actually raining like crazy here... wishing that was actually snow!!!

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:49 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:50 am
dave52 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:25 pm
fischer-bcx-transnordic-boots.jpg

fischer-bcx-grand-tour-boots.jpg

From pages 34 & 35 in the Fischer 21/22 catalog:
https://issuu.com/fischersportsgmbh/doc ... FiNTI3OTkw

Cool boots! Curious how stiff the boot flex is on the BCX Transnordic. The Grand Tours look appealing too, looks like they don't have the adjustable heel feature.
Does anybody have fresh info on the Fischer Transnordic boots? Did anyone had the chance to compare them to the Alaska?

It is actually raining like crazy here... wishing that was actually snow!!!
Apparently the soles in the TransNordic are stiffer than the soles in the Alaska. I got that info from someone managing a cross country ski area near here, who got to try them on briefly last season.

What I don't know is how the uppers compare.

Can the laces be closed tight enough to prevent heel lift?

Do the sole stiffness and upper boot stiffness match closely enough that you can keep the ball of the foot engaged with the ski while making a turn?

I definitely would like to try them on before deciding whether to get the TransNordic or the Alaska, but I don't know who sells them around here...

mikael.oh

Post by mikael.oh » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 am

Whoah, a lot happened here while I've been logged out.

We've had almost no snow in my parts of Norway so far so the little bit of skiing I've done has been on man made snow mainly.

I went to a ski resort yesterday, bought a lift pass, and skied non stop for 4.5 hours on this setup. Ended up doing 22 runs and almost 5000 meters of descent, or 16000 feet. And people said Gammes don't turn? All they do is turn. I just have to think it and they turn. But this is alpine turns. I haven't started really learning telemark with it having been summer and all that. They work magnificently with alpine turns though!

The Fischer boots are stiff. I've never had the feeling that I need more boot. I don't even think about them while skiing. It just works. They really change character depending on how tight and/or high up you lace them as well. When you really tighten them like I did yesterday they almost feel like an alpine ski boot.

I'm not sure what they'd say about NNN BC skis in Chamonix. They wouldn't let you take them up Aiguille du Midi I reckon, but guessing that the other systems and lifts wouldn't be a problem. I once tried taking a unicycle up for Moonlight Vallee Blanche but they stopped me. In hindsight, that was probably a good call, but I remember being mad about it :)

Ullrsson
Ski style: Nordic BC
Favorite Skis: Fischer E88, Åsnes Amundsen, SummitCone Vagabond

Post by Ullrsson » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:57 pm

mikael.oh wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 am
The Fischer boots are stiff. I've never had the feeling that I need more boot. I don't even think about them while skiing. It just works. They really change character depending on how tight and/or high up you lace them as well. When you really tighten them like I did yesterday they almost feel like an alpine ski boot.
Have you done any longer tours in the transnordic boots, say 10-20 kilometers? Just wondering. I had a buddy who was getting outfitted for a multi-day trip we're planning for around February and he went with these boots. He's just starting out with nordic skiing so hopefully they work out okay.

mikael.oh

Post by mikael.oh » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:21 pm

Ullrsson wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:57 pm
mikael.oh wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 am
Have you done any longer tours in the transnordic boots, say 10-20 kilometers? Just wondering. I had a buddy who was getting outfitted for a multi-day trip we're planning for around February and he went with these boots. He's just starting out with nordic skiing so hopefully they work out okay.
I¨ve lived in them for days, but I did get a bad blister in one spot the first day. It was only on one foot and because my foot was rolling a bit from side to side inside the boot, probably because I hadn¨t learned to lace them properly yet and because my feet hadn¨t been in that kind of boot for years and years. I wear Smartwool phd medium ski socks now that are pretty thick and haven¨t had a problem since, although I do get a slight feeling in that same spot, same foot, from time to time.
Have your buddy break them in properly before the trip. They¨re awesome boots!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:03 pm

@mikael.oh
Great to hear from you again- and very helpful to get some more experienced information on the Transnordic boot.

The Gamme 54 certainly does turn- plus it is rock-soild stable and holds a maginificent edge.

I would LOVE to do a back-to-back hard-charging downhill test with the following skis- sized in lenghth towards downhill skiing and effective edge:

Gamme
vs
Nansen
vs
Ingstad

The Ingstad would have to be sized to accomodate the rockered shovel (i.e. a 195cm Nasnsen has a longer effective edge than a 205cm Ingstad; I wonder if a 190cm gamme has a longer effective edge than a 205cm Ingstad; I bet a 190cm Gamme has a similar effective edge to a 185cm Nansen...)

Asnes should send you a 185cm Nansen and a 195cm Ingstad to compare to your 190cm Gamme 54 on the hill...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.