Ultimate corn xcD for NNNBC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Ultimate corn xcD for NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 am

Have been enjoying some wonderful post season corn at Alta. Skiing on S-bound 98s + NNNBC + alfa guard. 189cm for my 6' 175lbs. Everything is skiing well but I can't help but wishing for less ski all around in these conditions. What is the ideal ski for descending a few thousand feet of perfect corn on leather boots?

It seems the answer is narrowish (50-60 waist), shortish, wish a softer more single camber. I would add scales ideally as they are oh so functional on corn. The older forums seems to suggest I would happy with a short (180?ish, maybe less?) glitterind, now discontinued. In general it seems that narrower skis are more tuned to an XC double camber.

What can take that place? Spider 62 (https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=913), or is this just entry level ski? FT62 seems like a consideration (though no scales) for single camber xcD ski but how is it on corn (reviewed as more of a soft snow ski?)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Ultimate corn xcD for NNNBC

Post by Woodserson » Fri May 14, 2021 10:37 am

An older Fischer Boundless. Sbound 98 chassis but sightly softer. Negative crown, the old style that sucks, and also in wax.

Good luck finding a pair but if you do, get them.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri May 14, 2021 2:00 pm

Having the Objective BC in 178, and based on limited experience, I think this ski works fairly well for that.
But only once the snow has softened up, not when it’s real firm / icy. And not much fun for a long approach.

It’s my feeling that a narrower ski might be better suited for spring corn.
I had the impression that the Nansen WL might be a good choice, except for the report of poor grip.
For me, top of list right now would be the Traverse 78.
I spent 5 minutes on a pair and thought they might work well.

A good traction pattern seems like a BIG plus, for shorter up / down, and approach / exit.
I’m about the same weight and am thinking a bit shorter than standard would be ideal.
Target use is firm snow, so not looking for any support or float, per se, and with a target use of DH, vs K&G a bit short would be good.

Not much available post-season this year, haven’t seen much in the way of sales, so figure to wait until next season.
Would love to hear what others think...

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Fri May 14, 2021 2:27 pm

Soon after posting this I realized half the answer was already in my basement! I skied my wife's s-98s at 170cm this morning and they were a GREATTTTT corn ski. Confidence inspiring on the steeps and really didn't seem to have a downside on this snow (compared to my 190s) on the up and down. Would still love a slightly rounder flex and 10-15mm narrower I think in an ideal world.

And what a bonus to find a place for her skis in MY quiver! I had not previously considered a use for a way undersized S-98 but this might be my go to spring ski now.
IMG_8982.jpg
IMG_8981.jpg
IMG_8977.jpg

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ
Ski style: Mixed xcountry offtrack/bc
Favorite Skis: Asnes NATO BC so far
Favorite boots: Still searching

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Fri May 14, 2021 2:53 pm

I had a lot of fun on my Vagabonds, but a wider ski makes edge control more difficult. I took my Fischer Excursion 88s out last week and actually though they were more fun in some ways. Being able to turn around and see that single line carved in the snow makes me feel really good for some reason. I would think a Nansen or maybe an XCD GT would be a lot of fun in this context (having not tried them I don't know).

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 pm

I'm going to give my 185cm MT51's a try on soft summer corn. I like that they are fast and light and easy to make jump turns...used them early season and they were fantastic. Will report back in a few wks.

In the meantime, I am alternating between 169cm S112s and 185cm Cecilie Skog.

I suspect if the MT51 works ok, the Gamme 54 which are slightly wider with a touch more sidecut would be even better... will get those next season at a shorter length...170cm

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Fri May 14, 2021 9:47 pm

Earlier in the year, after some experimentation, I was able to make the Gamme in 210 work, but it was not particularly enjoyable. Maybe in a 190 for my 170# would be okay, but still think the less cambered, rounder flexing Nansen (AKA Cecilie Skog) would be better. But that still lacks a really good traction pattern

Still no votes for the Traverse 78?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat May 15, 2021 2:37 am

Stephen wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:47 pm

If farming corn for turns, no vote from me. The 98 turns way better than the 78.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:37 am
Stephen wrote:

If farming corn for turns, no vote from me. The 98 turns way better than the 78.
Good to know. Thanks!

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sat May 15, 2021 10:04 am

Stephen wrote:
Earlier in the year, after some experimentation, I was able to make the Gamme in 210 work, but it was not particularly enjoyable. Maybe in a 190 for my 170# would be okay, but still think the less cambered, rounder flexing Nansen (AKA Cecilie Skog) would be better. But that still lacks a really good traction pattern

While the 78s are great fun, they are not my go to corn ski. I like the Guides for corn.