Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

Post by fisheater » Thu May 06, 2021 7:05 pm

At 190 lbs, and not a ballerina I could use the Falketind a little stiffer. I still hope for that magic flex, however if they improved hardpack performance a little for the approach it wouldn’t hurt.
As far as the skiers performance, that isn’t powder. That is unprotected snow, not a tree in sight. Wind is blowing across without a break and el sol shines on without shade. On my Falketind that would require a bit of precision in steering. I think that’s all we’re seeing. Those guys are in the video because they’re top shelf skiers. If it was powder they could had me for free!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu May 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:14 pm
I'm good with his description. I feel it.
I'm with u man!

Those are darn sexy black skis.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:37 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:24 am
So I take this to mean that a 200cm Otto would perform probably about the same as the 205 Ingstad.
To be equally wildly speculative-

I doubt very much that the Sverdrup will be stable in deep snow-

I am expecting the Sverdrup ski to have a relatively soft and flexible shovel and tail...
Reasoning-
If it is going to be as "playful"/"turnable" as a Nansen- yet have the camber and resistance underfoot of a Gamme/Amundsen-

then I don't see how it can be as longitudinally stiff/stable as the Ingstad-
therefore, I don't think that the Sverdrup will be as stable in deep snow as the Ingstad.

So- my wild speculation is that the Sverdrup will actually be- if a design success- a precision instrument just like the Ingstad-

A distance-oriented BC-XC ski for hilly-steep terrain-
- one for deep soft snow → Ingstad
- one for consolidated snow → Sverdrup

Unlike the Nansen- that kinda spreads its utility around a bit more- my prediction is that the Sverdrup and Ingstad will have little overlap in terms of performance...

What they are attempting with the Sverdrup is very difficult to pull off.
What Asnes does with the flex is what will interest me.
The rockered shovel of the Sverdrup could still be stable- like the Ingstad- but what have they done with the tail flex to make the stiff-cambered Sverdrup "playful" and easy to turn? Surely the Sverdrup tail is flexible...

If they get it right- I could use the Sverdrup ski quite a bit actually.
There are many hilly-steep tur days- on more consolidated snow- where I either have to choose to-
a) put up with the low camber and short glide zone of Ingstad on the flats- or
b) deal with the rail-stiff Gamme on the slopes.
I'm guessing I can get the same XC performance out of the Otto at 200cm as a 205 Ingstad and be able to whip them around a little easier as well.
My prediction is- yes on consolidated snow- the 200cm Otto could be an even better XC ski on consolidated snow- depending on the over all camber and flex- even a 195cm Otto might be a more efficient XC ski than a 205 Ingstad on consolidated snow...

YEAH now we're getting into deep reading between the lines!

Good thoughts on your prediction of softer ends. I wonder if that's how this is going to end up. The narrower chassis would seem to confirm this too, right? Otto for harder snow, Ingstad for wider. Very curious. Too soft and it will be impossible in softer deeper snow, much like the E99/109 shovels. But, I bet it'll strike a balance. It might not be crazy soft or crazy stiff but somewhere in between. It may be one of the more versatile skis, jack of all, master of none.

useless talk without getting on them

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri May 07, 2021 3:52 am

Woodserson wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 am
useless talk without getting on them
1- It's all we can do
2- It's what summer is made for
3- We like it that way
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 am

bgregoire wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:28 pm
I'm going with Crister's take. I feel it.
I'm with u man!
bgregoire wrote: Oh man. They hit me through the core with this ad. Man I'm stoked. Bring it on.
bgregoire wrote: Gamme, Cecilie Skog, perfect powder, idyllic environment, man, is this heaven or what?

Glad to see that marketing is working on you. All that stuff you see and read, that is all planned. It is internally called "emotional communication" by the involved Norvegian parties. It's a very powerful tool and a well-known marketing strategy... It's actually the main point of the marketing plan.

And see, it works! 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri May 07, 2021 6:04 am

Johnny wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 am
bgregoire wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:28 pm
I'm going with Crister's take. I feel it.
I'm with u man!
bgregoire wrote: Oh man. They hit me through the core with this ad. Man I'm stoked. Bring it on.
bgregoire wrote: Gamme, Cecilie Skog, perfect powder, idyllic environment, man, is this heaven or what?

Glad to see that marketing is working on you. All that stuff you see and read, that is all planned. It is internally called "emotional communication" by the involved Norvegian parties. It's a very powerful tool and a well-known marketing strategy... It's actually the main point of the marketing plan.

And see, it works! 8-)
Yes I am very aware of this and just stating the obvious, how the advertizing does it thing. Doesn't mean I'm going to run out and buy myself another 3 pairs of skis a year. Oh no. That would be ludicrous.

By the way, I'm getting the feeling that you are not picking up on my humour in these statements? Perhaps I need to do just that, let my emotions express themselves more freely?! That first quote supporting Woods' opinion and Crister's response was serious however. :roll:

I admit i am quite surprised someone has finally produced an ad aimed specifically at my passion for earning turns on LOOONG winter hikes using light nordic gear. Its something some of us like to do, not traditionnally something big business wants us to (focus was elsewhere on the ski style spectrum).
Last edited by bgregoire on Fri May 07, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Fri May 07, 2021 12:49 pm

Johnny wrote:
Glad to see that marketing is working on you. All that stuff you see and read, that is all planned. It is internally called "emotional communication" by the involved Norvegian parties.
Aka 'film of Norway'.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri May 07, 2021 4:02 pm

Johnny wrote:
...It is internally called "emotional communication"...
Speaking of emotional, my wife really enjoy Hallmark Channel movies. She knows it's engineered to pull on her emotions, and she still enjoys it.

That's how I see a lot of these sports ads and ski movies. The music. The loving dog running down the hill with the skier. The back story that has nothing to do with me. It gets me emotional, usually excited for skiing, but I enjoy getting emotional for that kind of stuff.

Now, if it gets me to open my wallet... completed different discussion. I'm particularly ornery when it comes to that.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri May 07, 2021 5:01 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:02 pm
Speaking of emotional, my wife really enjoy Hallmark Channel movies. She knows it's engineered to pull on her emotions, and she still enjoys it.
Joe, Hallmark Channel movies, that sounds fabulous. I need to get myself a tv.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri May 07, 2021 5:12 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:01 pm
Joe, Hallmark Channel movies, that sounds fabulous. I need to get myself a tv.
It's 100-percent drivel. Poor acting, story lines are extremely unoriginal. Usually nice scenery. It's like they took the same quality of actors/writers that used to do "Walker, Texas Ranger", and repurposed them to do girly stuff. Ughh.

She likes it, and it gives me a few moments of free time. :D