Åsnes Waxless Skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
dave52

Åsnes Waxless Skis

Post by dave52 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am

Hello Åsnes ski enthusiasts ❄

How do people feel about their Åsnes waxless skis? From the reviews I've read it seems the waxless skis as a standalone solution (without skins) have been lack luster. Hardly any of the reviewers on here appear satisfied with their grip uphill, with some resorting to using wax on waxless skis :?

I've been eyeballing the Nansen WL for some time (and with seasons shifting to warmer weather, patience will be further tested :lol:). As a grip hack I'm considering grabbing a shorter ski, perhaps a Nansen WL at 195cm or even shorter, FYI I'm 6'2" at 190lbs. I'm weighing this option against just skiing a Nansen WL 205cm with x-skins on, when needed of course... and I don't see myself peeling them off after ascents, once they're on they'll likely remain on entire session.

Would love to hear your thoughts though!

I wonder if Åsnes will modify their waxless pattern down the road.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Åsnes Waxless Skis

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:46 pm

You read my opinion I guess. Some people hare happy with their WL but I am not. So it is a subjective thing. I cannot complain about the Nansen otherwise

I am happy to accept that it may be a case of me not having the best kicking technique but I don't want to have to worry about that on tours anyways. Shuffling along should also be easy on touring skis. Also the Nansen and Skog should be some of the easiest to pressure in the mid section due to their single camber.

I used the Nansen WL (205) on a couple of day trips in cold conditions and was happy only with the skins on, or, with grip wax in front of the waxless pattern for 30 cm more or so. When conditions were too warm for Swix blue I used a short skin. I came to realise that I am basically using the skis as waxable skis.

My frustration grew so much that I have since "de-waxlessed" my Nansens and turned them into waxable base (bastard file + wet sandpapers + elbow grease and frustration). I was not convinced of the resale value of them used as they had been drilled twice and had a couple of deep scratches. Some people will scratch their heads reading this and think I am nuts or stupid. But the skis work better for me now, and that is coming from me, who was a waxless fan no more than 3 years ago.

Of note, I went skiing on a later date with a friend who was on Fischer E99 Crown (Waxless, double camber), at freezing temperature, I was using the Nansen with 30mm mohair short skins and I was gliding somewhat better than her on the slight downhills.
More about the glide performance of the short skins in the following thread
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 21a50ca9d9

Bottom line - Waxing for cold temperature (below -3 centigrade) is quite easy, and the short skin system does work very well at warmer temperatures if you aren't keen on klister or warmer wax.
Last edited by CwmRaider on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 pm

Lackluster is a good word.

I have 3 WL Asnes skis. I'm 6'2" 160lbs.

-205cm MT51-WL: Absolutely miserable. Avoid. (It's been discontinued anyway-- the WAX version is totally fine).
-195cm Ingstad: It's OK? I don't know, I don't think it's too great but I can make it work.
-205cm Nansen: Tolerable. This is the best one out of the three. I've had good success with this ski on moderate terrain and being on-point with my Kick&Glide with no sloppiness allowed.. The 195cm Nansen has the same length waxless pattern as the 205, so yes, it would be a good hack and you would get a grippier ski. You are also heavier.

It's important to have perfect technique if you size these skis appropriately-- as they are traditional length skis. The WL pattern should take this in consideration.

Asnes makes the best BC XC skis in the industry. I use them with WAX and KLISTER and/or SKINS and they are absolutely wonderful!

But if I really want a waxless ski for the day I use my Fischer E99 or T78's.

RIEL should be checking in with his very astute observations. He is more your weight and has good success with the 205cm Ingstad.
Last edited by Woodserson on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:50 pm

dave52 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am
Hello Åsnes ski enthusiasts ❄

How do people feel about their Åsnes waxless skis? From the reviews I've read it seems the waxless skis as a standalone solution (without skins) have been lack luster. Hardly any of the reviewers on here appear satisfied with their grip uphill, with some resorting to using wax on waxless skis :?

I've been eyeballing the Nansen WL for some time (and with seasons shifting to warmer weather, patience will be further tested :lol:). As a grip hack I'm considering grabbing a shorter ski, perhaps a Nansen WL at 195cm or even shorter, FYI I'm 6'2" at 190lbs. I'm weighing this option against just skiing a Nansen WL 205cm with x-skins on, when needed of course... and I don't see myself peeling them off after ascents, once they're on they'll likely remain on entire session.

I wonder if Åsnes will modify their waxless pattern down the road.
I use Waxless Ingstad skis. For me the waxless pattern has been working well, but due to the fishscales being so short, require more careful placement on the trail to make them grip well. That took a few days to get used to, but I'm happy with it now.

I suspect the waxless pattern will work better on the Nansen, due to the soft round flex (instead of a second camber like the Ingstad), and because the Asnes waxless pattern was developed on that ski with help from Cecilie Skog, but only if you have a Nansen that is short for your weight. A Nansen that is on the longer side for your weight might spread a bunch of your weight off of the fishscales when you're trying to kick.

On the flip side, I tried Woodserson's waxless MT51 skis, and the fishscales were almost useless on those skis. The second camber of those skis prevented the fishscales from doing their job well.

Overall verdict: Asnes needs to pay more attention to the way the second camber of their skis interacts with the fishscale pattern. On double camber skis, they could probably increase glide and grip by shifting the fishscale pattern forward somewhat (fewer fishscales behind the heel) and making it longer as well (deep fishscales to the X-skin attachment point, shallow ones in front of that).

Nansen specific: given the camber and flex of the Nansen, the waxless pattern should work fine on that ski.

I ski my waxless Ingstad skis in length 205, but I'm also 215lbs...

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:57 pm

riel wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:50 pm

Overall verdict: Asnes needs to pay more attention to the way the second camber of their skis interacts with the fishscale pattern. On double camber skis, they could probably increase glide and grip by shifting the fishscale pattern forward somewhat (fewer fishscales behind the heel) and making it longer as well (deep fishscales to the X-skin attachment point, shallow ones in front of that).
The MT51 pattern is forward of the Nansen pattern, but there's just not enough of it. So they are definitely thinking what you're thinking, Riel, but the pattern is still found wanting.

Yes, it wouldn't take much to improve the situation and also not hinder glide. Another 15cm, maybe even just 10cm, would be enough to add the necessary grip on all the skis. Good placement of the pattern and a bit more of it, specifically forward into the wax pocket would be the way to go.

One of the things that gets lost-- these are BC skis. They are not track skis. When I'm skiing the track I can be on point, technically perfect, working hard. When I'm in the forest skiing, putting down lots of miles, my skiing is going to be not perfect. Variations in snow, terrain, long days... being on-point with technique all day long sucks energy over a longer tour. Having the flexibility to make mistakes is easier on my body over the day. I would much prefer to have a more accommodating ski when I'm not on groomed terrain. This means a waxless pattern that I don't need to pay attention to every single second.
Roelant wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:46 pm

I am happy to accept that it may be a case of me not having the best kicking technique but I don't want to have to worry about that on tours anyways. Shuffling along should also be easy on touring skis.
THIS +1

lolo
Ski style: Pragmatic?
Favorite Skis: Madshus XCD trio; Asnes Ingstad BC WAX!!
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska; Garmont Excursion

Post by lolo » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:42 am

Since many more experienced folks have already chimed in, I think all I have to add that may tell you something is this:

FREE! To a good home: my used 195cm Ingstad WL. (Previously mounted with NNN-BC) Please just pay shipping and they're yours! PM me! [EDIT! Four folks have PMd me so I am working my way chronologically through. I'm guessing one of the four will pan out. Thanks, all!]

it's guiding season so I'm in and out of the backcountry thus it may take me a day or three to get back to you, but I will get back to you by and by.

Haven't posted on teleturnaround yet but this thread reminded me...and this thread helps solve my ethical quandary in trying to sell the skis.

x
L

(p.s. I'm 5'6" 145lbs.)
Last edited by lolo on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Don't need to belabor the point TOO much more but I want to add my suggestion that all Asnes needs to do is extend the waxless pattern to cover the same area as the kicker skins. The pattern itself is fine.

The skis are already designed to work with a skin in the longer wax pocket so covering the same length with the waxless pattern would be perfect IMO.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

marco

Post by marco » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:41 pm

lolo wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:42 am
Since many more experienced folks have already chimed in, I think all I have to add that may tell you something is this:

FREE! To a good home: my used 195cm Ingstad WL. (Previously mounted with NNN-BC) Please just pay shipping and they're yours! PM me!

it's guiding season so I'm in and out of the backcountry thus it may take me a day or three to get back to you, but I will get back to you by and by.

Haven't posted on teleturnaround yet but this thread reminded me...and this thread helps solve my ethical quandary in trying to sell the skis.

x
L

(p.s. I'm 5'6" 145lbs.)
Hi @lolo, I would love to get these for my partner. I tried to send you a PM but for some reason it's still sitting in my outbox.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:14 pm

@marco, see this post re: How the Outbox works.
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... fe3a8ed933

Also, I sent @lolo a PM earlier asking for the skis.
Haven’t heard anything back yet.
Maybe someone else got there before I did.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 pm
Don't need to belabor the point TOO much more but I want to add my suggestion that all Asnes needs to do is extend the waxless pattern to cover the same area as the kicker skins. The pattern itself is fine.

The skis are already designed to work with a skin in the longer wax pocket so covering the same length with the waxless pattern would be perfect IMO.
Maybe they already did this? I recently grabbed a pair of 195 Ignstad WL and the pattern starts 2cm behind the x-skin attachment point and stops just behind my mondo 29 heel. That's the length that I'd cut for a kicker skin. I haven't mounted them up and taken them out yet though.