Skin Width for Combat Natos

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Genoah77
Favorite boots: Alaskas

Skin Width for Combat Natos

Post by Genoah77 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:15 pm

I took the plunge this year and got the Natos. They're great!

In other news, I thought I bought 58 mm mohair X-Skins from La Cordee, according to the photo on their site (which had the blue plastic tab), but it turns out they are the full length skin! (Oops). I already have a 45 mm nylon full-length skin, so having two seems overkill. I am considering returning the skins, or I may give one pair to my dad for his skis.

I now see the X-Skins up on their site, so I made sure this time and ordered the correct ones.

From what I've read, nylon provides superior grip at the cost of glide. The consensus seems to be that mohair skins are more enjoyable overall, especially if they have less width.

1. Will I enjoy having a full width (58 mm), full length mohair skin for my Natos?
2. Should I exchange them for 45 mm full length?
3. Or is it simply redundant with the X-Skins?

I can't imagine I will be doing too much steep skiing, but I live next to the Rockies, and I just watched the Telemark Movie, so you never know... 8-)

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Skin Width for Combat Natos

Post by fgd135 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:56 pm

You will definitely have a better glide with mohair X-skins vs. any full length skins, mohair or nylon. Only reason for full length skins might be for climbing multi-km continuous uphill where grip is more important than glide.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:02 pm

Genoah77 wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:15 pm
I took the plunge this year and got the Natos. They're great!

In other news, I thought I bought 58 mm mohair X-Skins from La Cordee, according to the photo on their site (which had the blue plastic tab), but it turns out they are the full length skin! (Oops). I already have a 45 mm nylon full-length skin, so having two seems overkill. I am considering returning the skins, or I may give one pair to my dad for his skis.

I now see the X-Skins up on their site, so I made sure this time and ordered the correct ones.

From what I've read, nylon provides superior grip at the cost of glide. The consensus seems to be that mohair skins are more enjoyable overall, especially if they have less width.

1. Will I enjoy having a full width (58 mm), full length mohair skin for my Natos?
2. Should I exchange them for 45 mm full length?
3. Or is it simply redundant with the X-Skins?

I can't imagine I will be doing too much steep skiing, but I live next to the Rockies, and I just watched the Telemark Movie, so you never know... 8-)
58 is a fine width for those skins. Here is a thought, do you own other pairs of BC skis? are they wider or narrower? If they are narrower, you migh consider excanging for the 45s adn make the full skin more versatile.

Do you need full length? Well its up to you man, how steep you gonna climb. The full length will get you into much steep territory for sure. but only you can decide.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Genoah77

Post by Genoah77 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:19 pm

Thanks for the advice. Having a versatile skin sounds like a good idea, but I've concluded that I will enjoy having the grip of the wide, full skin out here in the Rockies.

Another question about the Asnes skins:

I have noticed that the new plastic X-Skins seem prone to breaking, so I'd prefer a metal Skin-Lock. And if I ever needed to replace the skins, it would be nice to have a metal rather than plastic clip to attach a new skin (which I hear is possible to do).

Asnes apparently makes a Skin-Lock specifically for the Natos, but from their website I cannot distinguish between the NATO nylon skin and the Short Skin Extreme...anyone know what distinguishing features the NATO skin has?

Genoah77

Post by Genoah77 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:57 pm

Perhaps the difference is the addition of a plastic pin to attach the skin just behind the heelplate?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:42 pm

I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Genoah77

Post by Genoah77 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:37 pm

Whoa that seems pretty sweet. Merci pour ce conseil.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:11 pm

I almost exclusively use the 45mm mohair skin on the Combat Nato.

I do have the 58mm mohair, but find it is more grip than I need and only use it on my Storetind (68mm)

I have only used the 45mm nylon skin on the Combat Nato when pulling a heavy pulk.
I also have the "Combat" version with the plug at the tail- I haven't used it much as it is more grip than I generally need.
Other than the Combat skin- all of my kicker skins have been trimmed to my heel.

I do prefer the performance of the plastic on the X-Skin, but prefer the durability and replaceability of the metal Skin-lock.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Genoah77

Post by Genoah77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:35 pm

Thanks, lilcliffy. I was able to find a 45 mm mohair skinlock with metal, so I think I will go with that. Maybe a 30 mm x-skin one day, if any become available.