The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

Post by Stephen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 pm

I read the essence of @Åsnes1922’s post as pointing out that the review was based on early versions of the concept, and therefore of decreased relevance with regard to the products that will actually be released.
He could have left some of the personal opinion pushback out of his post, which would have made his message more to the point.
But I’m pretty gullible, so maybe I’m just a tool of the machine.
:lol:

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:32 pm

Johnny wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:11 am
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm
Maybe you have some surprises from Åsnes? Maybe some of their wider skis with scales? It’s not in their new catalog but maybe they were holding the announcement for a TelemarkTalk exclusivity?
Nope. They will NOT develop wider skis with scales. They don't believe that this is the future, and this is what a lot of people want. They did several tests with wider skis and according to them, they just don't work. Very, very sad.
There might be a reason why "they just don't work" and I would encourage Asnes to look in the mirror long and hard.

My Voile Objective BC's are just the bomb, fun. People swear by the V6-BC. Etc etc etc. It works if it's correctly designed.

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:23 am

+1 on @Woodserson’s Objective BC comment.
Was out on those a few days ago with Tom on his V6 BC and it seemed like he was having even better grip than I was.
And no problem with glide.
I’ve been hot waxing the grip zone with hopes of better glide, which may be decreasing grip in dry snow conditions.
Haven’t noticed any problem with that in spring snow conditions.

But back to the original topic, maybe enough people are happy with the Asnes WL skis.
Or maybe most people don’t know it could be better and accept the limitations.
But if this forum is any indication, it seems like Asnes should be listening — as many have already said.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:42 am

@Stephen All the testers had acess to prototypes (at different stage of realization) if you read carefully.
Ok, so if a beta tester try crystallizes in favorable opinions, then, it is wow, promising system.
But if he had some criticizing to do, then he must consider that the stuff is not exactly what will be available to consumer, bla-bla. So, the media shouldn't publish his opinions
That sucks... BTW, you are not gullible, you are biais (consciously or not).
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:48 am

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 am
None of the involved parties were ever consulted about the review in Utemagasinet either.
Geeez!!!!!!!! I hope so!!!! :?

Nobody cares about reviews by "involved parties" or consultants, this is called advertising.
"Real reviews by real skiers", this is what we care about.

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:02 pm
Know what? I prefer Pål Trygve to that big freaking merchandising bulldozer.
I am a bit perplex about that «shut up» reaction....
Exactly my opinion too... Je sens qu'il y des trucs qui ne sentent pas tres bon dans les parages... But having the actual subjects here in the house, I can understand the source of the concerns...

riel wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:31 pm
Too bad the snow is gone, and there's no Xplore gear on this side of the Atlantic as far as I know :)
As far as I know, there is at least one pair... And I am enjoying every gram of it... 8-)

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:32 pm
There might be a reason why "they just don't work" and I would encourage Asnes to look in the mirror long and hard. My Voile Objective BC's are just the bomb, fun. People swear by the V6-BC. Etc etc etc. It works if it's correctly designed.
The wide, waxless Objectives work, and they are the bomb
The wide, waxless Vectors work, and they are the bomb
The wide, waxless Fischer S-Bound 112 work, and they are the bomb
The wide, waxless FindRs work, and they are the bomb
The wide, waxless Annums work, and they are the bomb
The wide, waxless Discovery 102s work, and they are the bomb
The wide, waxless Rossignol BC 125s work, and they are the bomb

Again, it's SO SAD that wide, waxless Asnes skis don't work...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:53 am

I think Crister's clarification was actually a pretty useful perspective from someone who's been testing it a lot?

Åsnes don't make the XPLORE system. Rottefella do. It's not like Åsnes have much to lose if people put NNNBC or XPLORE or Voile whatevers on their skis.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:33 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:53 am
I think Crister's clarification was actually a pretty useful perspective from someone who's been testing it a lot?
The XPlore system is awesome. And I mean, AWESOME. I am TOTALLY in love with it.

Now as great as it may be, it is totally plausible that the Alfa FREE XPlore boot reviewed by Pål Trygve did not offer better performance than a super-stiff sturdy NNN-BC boot... There is no problem here, not every boot is built for maximum performance. No need to hide behind anything. Why all the fuss about problematic flex, problematic bindings and problematic boots? The XPlore binding will be officially perfect the day someone will post a positive review of a pair of boots?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:56 pm

Did Pål Trygve mention in his article he was testing a prototype and that the official version might actually be different (hopefully improved)?

I totally agree with Rod and J about freedom of speech and opinion. Absolutely.

But I also think any decent review should precisely describe the item tested (version, year of production, etc.), especially if its a prototype intented to be beta-tested in the R&D phase (And from a moral standpoint, also mention the deal that exists, if any, between the reviewer and the company). I would assume the companies (Rotta/Alfa) would have asked to be hush hush given it was in the R&D pahse, and provide them with useful feedback to improve upon their design in the deal. But maybe they did not. Perhaps communication issues, some misunderstanding or something else underlies all this?

J, what is your deal with Rotta/Alfa regarding the pair you now own? You're not saying much other than you have it and its awesome, yet here we are impatientely waiting for more. ;) Just wondering what such deals look like in regards to material not available commerically (although I am assuming the pre-launch R&D on the binding/boot is done by now?).
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 pm

I believe final product is available in limited quantities to select individuals, for review.
I know product is on its way to at least one person (not me) in NA (I have to assume others), who will be looking at bindings / boots / skis, and hopefully reporting observations.
The equipment on its way has already been in the hands of others for testing / review.
That's about all I know.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:42 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:56 pm
You're not saying much other than you have it and its awesome, yet here we are impatientely waiting for more. ;)
I know, I know! Just give me a few more days and I'll give you all the juicy details on the boots and bindings... Sorry, I'm a bad writer, I'm very slow. I'm a skier, not a writer! It takes me forever to find synonyms for awesome and amazing... And to find the proper english words in order not to sound "rough and biased"... 8-)

Funny enough, Alfa confirmed several times they were going to send me a pair of the Free boots... but they never did. My guess is that they decided to send them to Pål Trygve Gamme instead for a "rough and biased" review? 8-)