Got a hernia at work... anyone have any experience skiing with one?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Got a hernia at work... anyone have any experience skiing with one?

Post by Telecat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 pm

So about 3 weeks ago I was doing a lot of lifting at work when I felt a pull in my groin, it was actually lower than where the hernia actually is. For a few weeks I had on off aches like I pulled a muscle and kept aggravating it.

Well on Wednesday it was particularly achey all day. And when I got home, looked in the mirrored and sure enough, theres a noticeable bulge. Went to the doctor first thing Thursday morning, and of course confirmed inguinal hernia.

I spoke to 2 different doctors over the past few days..

Doctor #1: "No working or doing anything physical until you see a surgeon and get it taken care of!"

Doctor #2: "Ehh it's not that serious, no more very heavy lifting, but light lifting, and most exercise should he okay. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't become strangulated, surgery can usually wait until its more of an issue"

I am of course inclined to listen to doctor #2 so my ski season isn't horribly effected. Even IF I was able to get a surgery in the next few weeks I'd have about 4-6 weeks to get a full recovery. I could maybe do some light XC skiing week 3. But. Ugh. Snow is just starting to fall and the mountains are opening this week!! I would prefer to lose no ski days!

Idk. I ordered a couple of hernia trusses, even ones made for athletes, should arrive on Wednesday (the first day I planned to ski). Hopefully those should help relieve some pressure and discomfort, maybe also hold it in so it doesn't get worse.

I'll have to see a surgeon for a consultation and ultrasounds and whatnot over the next couple weeks. Who can better assess the situation and severity

Anyway I assume there's men of all ages here, and 1 in 4 men get a hernia in their life, so anyone have any advice, I know you're not necessarily doctors, I promise I won't sue you hahaha. Also im F***ing 24 and always lift carefully, what the hell man.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Got a hernia at work... anyone have any experience skiing with one?

Post by fgd135 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Most hernia surgery is uncomplicated and routine with little downtime afterwards. So, if it's recommended by your MD, I'd do it right away, rather than wait. Just my 2 cents.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Too bad it's not a hemorrhoid, I would have had a lot of advice for ya.

Seriously though I would consider getting it taken care of now, it could possibly get worse.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:20 pm

From my own experience I suggest to do it as soon as possible. In 2016 I got a hernia in the spring and I waited until December to go for surgery. I actually had a good reason to wait as I am self employed and I happen to own a farm with my wife so getting a surgery during the growing season was not the best option for the farm.... but I should have done it for me. So I spent many months doing hard work and somehow I was compensating for my injury by over sollicitating my right side. I did get the surgery in December and lost most of the ski season but the worse was that my body was now imbalanced... I did not notice, but my left leg was significantly smaller than the right... so I guess the same thing will happen to you if you spend a winter skiing. Your body will compensate when protecting your injury. I strongly suggest that you consult a good physiotherapist to help you after the surgery... well this is what I should have done but the surgeon never mentioned that... anyway, it took 30 months before I could find a great physiotherapist and I am finally getting almost “normal” :P

That is my story... not a professional advice... but consider that if you delay the surgery it might get worse and actually cost you more skiing opportunity...

Shintangle

Post by Shintangle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 pm

No experience skiing, yet. I have just had my hernia diagnosed. My DR. said no core exercises or heavy lifting but fine to continue with my leg workouts and long hikes to prep for ski season. I get some pain but just slow down and keep going. I find hiking uphills are easier than downhills.
We are likely a month from snow so it will be a while before I know how it will go. I'm more the age for hernia but not overweight and no heavy lifting so I'm a bit pissed off as well.
Haven't tried a truss but I have compression shorts that I will try this week. I'm registered at a hernia specialty clinic but no idea when I will get the surgery.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm

I think you have received some good advice so far.
The one thing I will add, as someone who is way older than you are, is that you have to live the rest of your life in the one body you have.
F*** this one ski season. That is short term thinking. You need to think long term.
You don't want to get 40 years down the line and be thinking "Gee, I wish I had taken better care of myself."
I have done plenty of stupid things in my life, and am REALLY lucky to be doing as well as I am, physically -- and I know I could have taken better care of myself. (Truth be told, I'm probably lucky to be alive, several times over.)
I have gotten smarter -- I most recently sat out 3 weeks of surfing in Mexico because of a bad fin gash on my foot. Infection in warm Mexican water was likely, and could have been serious.
My 2 cents...

Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Post by Telecat » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Well I got a consultation with a surgeon, he made the recovery seem like no big deal, said I can do basically whatever I want as soon as I feel up to it. Just no heavy lifting for 4 weeks. He was iffy on downhill skiing because he said it seems strenuous (fair). I didnt clarify XC, but he said running and most exercises are fine, if running is fine I imagine XC would be.

Anyway im still waiting for the workers comp paperwork to all go through and wait for approval for surgery.

I've since gone skiing twice, did a day last week at hunter and today at mount snow. Skied pretty heavily both days without too much issue, some soreness in the hernia after several hours but nothing unbearable. I was really leaning toward putting it off till spring... but this is still early season and my muscles aren't fully warmed up, im not sure if it will be as bearable when im skiing with full power and stamina

We'll see how fast that surgery can happen..

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:12 pm

Good news!

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:06 am

Note to myself: read more carefully...
Last edited by Rodbelan on Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:10 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:06 am
I've got 2 broken vertebrae; I know a couple of things about that and hernias as well. Be careful with surgery. I think it is better to be conservative about it (and avoid invasive approach if possible, specially with what you are saying: hard skiing & no problem). There is a downside with everything... With surgery, it is the mobility of the concerned area that will be affected... Of course, if the pressure from the herniated disc is too strong on nerves (or spinal cord or whatever, depending) you will definitely need surgery.

You know what? Sometimes, hernias are asymptomatic; many people have em. One day, the guy gets back pain... He goes to the doctor, does x-rays. Ah-ah! Hernia. Surgery. And nothing changes... back pain, still... They operated a asymptomatic hernia. The back pain was coming from another imbalance... That's probably not your case though — the diagnostic seems clear and so does the relation cause/effect.

But if I'd be you, I would wait a bit and see. And take it easy man. Do not panic. You are young. You'll get over it. I am 100% sure...
Wrong hernia.

He has an abdominal hernia.