has anyone figured out a permanent fix for holes worn in boot bellows?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: has anyone figured out a permanent fix for holes worn in boot bellows?

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:17 am

JB Weld cures hard. I repaired an exhaust manifold with it once. However, I don’t think a boot bellow would be the right place to use JB Weld. It has held on the hull of my Royalex canoe for many years. A rocky shore landing on Lake Huron in high winds and waves pounded a couple of grooves into the hull. Royalex is a laminate with layers of plastic sandwiching a foam inner layer. The outer layer had cracks that would have allowed water to infiltrate the foam layer. JB Weld has adhered and put up with years of rough use, but Royalex is quite rigid.
You need an elastic repair. I would suggest one of the two options offered.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 am

haha. I know that JB Weld is not right, but its the only product I have experience with...albeit for use on cars. I like the earlier suggestion of combining a soft cure epoxy with a fabric. I am thinking that if I can get a compound on the outside of the boot to bond with with a patch or something on the inside of the boot, the the "plug" might have a better chance of remaining in place. possibly as simple as a smear of compound on the inside that joins a smear on the outside through the hole.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:51 am

bauerb wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 am
possibly as simple as a smear of compound on the inside that joins a smear on the outside through the hole.
That's how I repaired the hole in my bellows with sugru. As mentioned above, jb weld is too brittle and does not bond to the bellow material.

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:08 pm

satsuma wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm
I haven't actually performed the repair, but I am a retired chemical engineer with some experience with urethanes. Urethane adhesives are generally capable of chemical reaction with residual groups on the surface of solid urethanes or Nylon, which should make them adhere better at least. Keep in mind, this is theory, I have not demonstrated.

I would suggest trying several layers of fabric (cotton or nylon), combined with a flexible, 2 part urethane adhesive such as #M DP604NS or DP640 (an Amazon reference below) , which are dispensed via a syringe kit. The adhesives have a one hour work time, so one can apply several layers at once.

Dry the surface before applying with a hair dryer or heat gun, as moisture will also react with the urethane. If you can, tape the inside of the hole first.

I think this is the best approach. Here is another urethane option that comes in single use packets and is packaged for single uses. may be easier to deal with than the dual tube one.

https://www.grainger.com/product/3KZA6? ... ccc0ba:G:s

The above linked is also the most flexible of the Hardman options.

johral

Post by johral » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:45 am

Waterproof Cordura has a Urethane backing, and is a nylon material itself. If you got like 1000D or the Balistic Nylon it might give you a good patch if you use that adhesive. Could possibly do one on the inside and one on the outside.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:10 am

how about a carbon fiber patch bonded with the flexible compound? btw, I'm pretty sure when we are done with this thread we will be able to save the space station if ever required.

johral

Post by johral » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:33 am

Carbon fiber doesn't do too well with flex. I'm not sure that would be the way to go. A carbon splinter in your foot wouldn't be so great either.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:16 am

I ordered the Sugru from Amazon. I'll have it next week.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:59 am

received my variety pack of Sugru today. all kinds of bright colors to choose from.