FT 62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

FT 62

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:24 am

Bizarre ski; but lots are raving about it... I'd be willing to try. But where do you guys got it from? SportAlbert? It would cost 900$ Cn;definitely not feverish... I do not see anybody carrying it in NAmerica...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: FT 62

Post by Woodserson » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:08 am

It's a totally weird ski. Skinnier than the Rabb, but more rocker. In at least a few inches of soft snow, I love it. Hardpack groomed icy resort? Not so much.

When the border opens, I'll come up and you can borrow mine, try before you buy! (soooo in a decade?)

Mine are the red/white version. I got them on super sale from Sport Albert two summers ago when Asnes went to the green/white version. Fisheater ultimately talked me into it. I feel (*subjective feelings*) that the green version is a little stiffer underfoot than the red/white version, with a bit more tension in the wax pocket.

Weird ski, but it works! Dreamy with leathers.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am

Hey Rod,

I dare to write that La Cordée should have some in inventory this year. When I ordered my 196cm pair he told me they already had 5 pairs on special orders so they decided to order more. The price is 640 CA$ and you will never regret buying those skis. Last year I was hesitating between the Rabb and the FT and finally got the Rabb but after i tried my wife short FT i knew right away that those were the ski I wanted. I finally bought an used pair from Johnny and they became my go to ski when the snow conditions were right for them as they offer the best mix of XC and dh ability for my local tour for turn on rolling terrain. I know those would be great for someone living in the Québec City you lucky man ;) I know I might angry some people on the forum about mentioning La Cordée again because they have their own grudge against this store, but I think we are lucky to have a brick and wall store in Québec that carry those great skis and all kind of gear for BC XC with a great after sale service... which we all know is rare those days ;)

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:22 am

Woods: I'll be too old, if you wait till the end of pandemic...

Yeah, weird ski — lots of sidecut for a XC BC ski. But I kind of like weird stuff (except from Rossignol: weird AND crappy).

Ok Martin, thanks for your input...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 am

I have both the first-gen FT62 (red&white) and the current (green&white)- both in 188cm.
The camber-flex profile between the two models is identical.
The weight and balance points are identical as well.
The only difference I can find is the upturned "twin-tip" tail is much toned down on the current model.
From a traditional BC-XC ("fjellski") perspective the FT62 is "weird"-
- it has loads of sidecut
- it has significant tip rocker
- it has very low single camber
The sidecut profile at first is reminiscent of truly "weird" skis like Fischer Rebound/ATomic Rainer- that had loads of sidecut, no tip rocker + were stiff and double-cambered (I know some skiers loved this ski's flex and geometry- I'm not one of them.)

On the other hand- if one ignores the narrow waist of the FT62- one can see it for what it is- a modern AT ski in a narrow ultralight package.
My point is I do not see the FT62 as a BC-XC ski- at all- I see it as a modern BC-downhill ski- one that is light and narrow enough to truly enjoy touring with BC-XC boots. From that perspective, the only thing "weird" about the FT62 is perhaps its track groove.

(I have photos of the two different models that I will upload later- my internet connection is too poor this morning...)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:36 am

I have both versions too... Yes, they are exactly the same, except for the top sheet and the tails which are lower on the newest version... Weird... and AMAZING!

Yours to try anytime you want... 8-)

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 am
I know I might angry some people on the forum about mentioning La Cordée again because they have their own grudge against this store
As I said before, corrupted, moralless people with no sense of ethics that are still buying stolen goods from the La Cordee thieves are just as guilty...

I was expecting some people here to know a thing or two about ethical shopping... Boy, I was so wrong...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:43 am

[/quote]

As I said before, corrupted, moralless people with no sense of ethics that are still buying stolen goods from the La Cordee thieves are just as guilty...

I was expecting some people here to know a thing or two about ethical shopping... Boy, I was so wrong...
[/quote]

Please Johny, shred some light on your issues with that store. Of course we don't have the same knowledge and experience you obviously have with them. From what I know, this store reinvested some of their profits for the promotion of outdoors activities and organization since its fondation in the 50's. I know it used to be a coop and was own by the "Association des Scouts du Canada" so not people you associate to "bad" people at first sight..

Teach us all about ethical shopping so I can be a better person ;)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:17 pm

Guys, if you want to talk about La Cordée, why not do it here:
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3273

It might not be useful to mix a hot topic like that with Rod's pacifist internal debate about the FT62!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:51 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:17 pm
Guys, if you want to talk about La Cordée, why not do it here:
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3273

It might not be useful to mix a hot topic like that with Rod's pacifist internal debate about the FT62!
Thanks Benjamin and sorry Rod...

Back to the FT62... who is even better then LilCliffy to describe the FT62? Of course, Crister from Åsnes ;) . So this an excerpt from his detailed post on the FT62 that can be found on the Asnes thread

: in short words, the Falketind 62 is made to be a really playful and easy to handle Nordic BC ski. At the same time, it has a lot of the same technical details as an Alpine Touring ski, without sacrificing the Classic Nordic XC Camber with Nordic Rocker, the glide properties and the directional benefits of skis like Ingstad and Nansen. That is why we have the groove in the sole as well. As that actually has a lot of effect on how directional the ski is.

So yes it is a really weird ski but none the less it excels at being weird!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:51 pm
Crister from Åsnes ;) . So this an excerpt from his detailed post on the FT62 that can be found on the Asnes thread

: in short words, the Falketind 62 is made to be a really playful and easy to handle Nordic BC ski. At the same time, it has a lot of the same technical details as an Alpine Touring ski, without sacrificing the Classic Nordic XC Camber with Nordic Rocker, the glide properties and the directional benefits of skis like Ingstad and Nansen. That is why we have the groove in the sole as well. As that actually has a lot of effect on how directional the ski is.
While I agree that the track groove on the FT62 facilitates XC tracking-
I struggle to find the "Classic Nordic XC Camber" in the FT62...
Although it has been observed that there is some tension underfoot-
the FT62 has a pretty round flex (much rounder than the Ingstad BC for example)-
perhaps not quite as round-flexing as a Karhu/Madshus Epoch or Annum-
but, both of my FT62s have LESS camber than the Epoch or the Annum.

I cannot speak for the Nansen- but I do not see the FT62 as having the same directional properties of the Ingstad BC.
From my perspective, the FT62 is a downhill ski for XC skiers.
The Ingstad BC is a XC ski for deep snow and hilly/mountainous terrain.
These are VERY different skis.

Don't get me wrong here- I am NOT complaining. I love the FT62. I am very happy that it does not have "classic xc camber".
I think that the FT62 would be the ski of Saint Sondre's fantasies- he would have won the worldcup slalom with slippers and willow bindings with it!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.