For Woodserson because I can’t figure out how to put a picture in a PM!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: For Woodserson because I can’t figure out how to put a picture in a PM!

Post by bgregoire » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:21 pm

Woods I have answers for you,

When it comes to Alfa sizing, you should look here first:
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... fd4#p24009
Alfa US conversions can be off, its much better to choose according to your EU size, by first measuring your foot and adding about 1.5cm, did you do that? and does it get you to 47?

I myself noticed the Kikut was bigget than the Skarvet equivalent. I assumed that was because they used the same last but the boot material and insulation being so thing and flexible, i fit in a 41 whereas its a 42 in the Skarvet.

This is one of the main reasons why I recommend North Americans buy the Alfa boots on the continent, where they can affordably return them if the sizing is off.

When you say the boot sole lengths of your Alfa and Alaska are the same, are your talking about the Rottafella undersole or the shitty removable innersole? Never of those unfortunately are reliable indicators of fit.

Actually, manufacturaturers regularly use the same Rottafella or Vibram sole for 2 consecutive sizes.

Yes, what the hell! Sorry.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Euh... This sounds and look a lot like a foot fetishist thread... That's ok. Everyone has its place on TT...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:21 pm
Woods I have answers for you,

When it comes to Alfa sizing, you should look here first:
http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... fd4#p24009
Alfa US conversions can be off, its much better to choose according to your EU size, by first measuring your foot and adding about 1.5cm, did you do that? and does it get you to 47?

I myself noticed the Kikut was bigget than the Skarvet equivalent. I assumed that was because they used the same last but the boot material and insulation being so thing and flexible, i fit in a 41 whereas its a 42 in the Skarvet.

This is one of the main reasons why I recommend North Americans buy the Alfa boots on the continent, where they can affordably return them if the sizing is off.

When you say the boot sole lengths of your Alfa and Alaska are the same, are your talking about the Rottafella undersole or the shitty removable innersole? Never of those unfortunately are reliable indicators of fit.

Actually, manufacturaturers regularly use the same Rottafella or Vibram sole for 2 consecutive sizes.

Yes, what the hell! Sorry.
I always choose my footwear by Euro sizes as I find it usually more standardized and accurate. I am a pretty clean 47 across the board. I don't understand the foot-measuring technique as my foot is 29.5cm long and adding 1.5 gets me to 31cm? EDIT: OK OK I get it, yes, so basically, according to the chart on your link posted above, a 47.

By boot sole length, I was referring the exterior part of the boot. They are all using thee same undersole size for the 47, which makes sense, but the interiors are all vastly different. I did not know that one sole could be used for two sizes.

I agree with your comparison with the Kikut vs Skarvet. I just confused now, though. I bought boots through REI so I can easily return, though I had high hopes for one of these boots to come through. More fiddling is required before I return I have not given up hope. The Alaska fits fine but I wanted a slightly softer sole for K&G over distance is why I was attracted to the Alfa's.

Thank you for your detailed reply!
Rodbelan wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:55 pm
Euh... This sounds and look a lot like a foot fetishist thread... That's ok. Everyone has its place on TT...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:57 am

So, several months ago,I tried on all those boots in a 47 at the same time.
Well, not at EXACTLY the same time — one after the other...

Anyway, I remember them all being really about the same length.
The Alaska was too narrow.
As I remember it, the Kikut and the Skarvet felt about the same to me, just that the Skarvet seemed more comfortable.
Maybe like a more refined fit. Hard to put to words.
It surprises me that the Kikut seems bigger to you, but maybe it was for me, too, and I just didn’t notice — your possible explanation (less insulation) seems plausible. I wasn’t very interested in the Kikut, so maybe didn’t spend much time delving into the subtleties of that boot.

BUT, after just now re-measuring my foot, I’m not surprised that the 47 Skarvet is tight for you.
In fact, it seems like it could be painfully tight.
Maybe your foot measurement is off, but you say you’re 29.5cm, and my foot measures 28.5cm.
Keeping in mind that at my 28.5cm, the Alfa Guard in 47 feels great for me.
If your measurement is accurate, your foot is at least one size bigger than mine.
I’m assuming you measured without sox?
And, you say that your 29.5cm is before you added the 1 to 1.5cm to get to the actual boot size (using Alfa’s sizing instructions).
You might need to go to a size 48.
The Alfa size chart shows you at the top-end of 47.
If my foot scaled up from its current 28.5 to match your 29.5, I would flat-out need a 48!

If you think the Skarvet in a 48 would work, it seems like Varuste might soon get the Guards in for winter — you could check (the Guards and the Skarvets fit me just about the same, which I didn’t know for sure until the Guards arrived from Varuste).
I have always gotten a pretty quick reply to my emails and have even called a few times.
I ordered a pair of the Guards in Woman’s for my wife at least a month ago, when they were out of her size, and they just received them and shipped them to me (FedEx says they just now left France — wahoo, along with a full order of waxing supplies for me (us)). Cost $290, including shipped to the USA, which is $60 less then the Skarvet from REI.
Might be worth considering ...

Explosion of NNN-BC?
I tried 7 or 8 different boots — this is a sample of what I cycled through to finally land on the Alfa Guard 47.
I don’t know why my wife thinks I’m hard to please...
64AA1983-06C9-4883-AD3D-CFF624A62A96.jpeg
46C917C8-4265-4E0F-83DD-4F91820F6774.jpeg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:19 am

Stephen wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:57 am
So, several months ago,I tried on all those boots in a 47 at the same time.
Well, not at EXACTLY the same time — one after the other...

Anyway, I remember them all being really about the same length.
The Alaska was too narrow.
As I remember it, the Kikut and the Skarvet felt about the same to me, just that the Skarvet seemed more comfortable.
Maybe like a more refined fit. Hard to put to words.
It surprises me that the Kikut seems bigger to you, but maybe it was for me, too, and I just didn’t notice — your possible explanation (less insulation) seems plausible. I wasn’t very interested in the Kikut, so maybe didn’t spend much time delving into the subtleties of that boot.

BUT, after just now re-measuring my foot, I’m not surprised that the 47 Skarvet is tight for you.
In fact, it seems like it could be painfully tight.
Maybe your foot measurement is off, but you say you’re 29.5cm, and my foot measures 28.5cm.
Keeping in mind that at my 28.5cm, the Alfa Guard in 47 feels great for me.
If your measurement is accurate, your foot is at least one size bigger than mine.
I’m assuming you measured without sox?
And, you say that your 29.5cm is before you added the 1 to 1.5cm to get to the actual boot size (using Alfa’s sizing instructions).
You might need to go to a size 48.
The Alfa size chart shows you at the top-end of 47.
If my foot scaled up from its current 28.5 to match your 29.5, I would flat-out need a 48!

If you think the Skarvet in a 48 would work, it seems like Varuste might soon get the Guards in for winter — you could check (the Guards and the Skarvets fit me just about the same, which I didn’t know for sure until the Guards arrived from Varuste).
I have always gotten a pretty quick reply to my emails and have even called a few times.
I ordered a pair of the Guards in Woman’s for my wife at least a month ago, when they were out of her size, and they just received them and shipped them to me (FedEx says they just now left France — wahoo, along with a full order of waxing supplies for me (us)). Cost $290, including shipped to the USA, which is $60 less then the Skarvet from REI.
Might be worth considering ...

Explosion of NNN-BC?
I tried 7 or 8 different boots — this is a sample of what I cycled through to finally land on the Alfa Guard 47.
I don’t know why my wife thinks I’m hard to please...
64AA1983-06C9-4883-AD3D-CFF624A62A96.jpeg

46C917C8-4265-4E0F-83DD-4F91820F6774.jpeg
yes, measured with no socks, to the end of my weird longer second toe.

The Kikut is so big. SO big. With sock, I can put in my index and middle finger, one in front of the other, between the heel pocket and my heel, with room left over. The Skarvet's fit like my Alaskas.

I am worried that pair-to-pair the sizing could be different and I get some Guards, (which I don't need) and they could be huge or not huge, it's like rolling dice. I will say, the Skarvet is a very nice boot. High quality. Impressive.