Favorite daypack for half-day trips?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: Favorite daypack for half-day trips?

Post by jyw5 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:01 pm

I'm in alaska and many areas have spotty cell coverage and even if you are a few miles off the road, you are screwed if you are injured...

so I carry an emergency beacon or on longer trips, I have a Garmin Inreach.

also a garmin fenix watch for general nav.

Roelant
Ski style: Backcountry in the wild, cross country on trails
Favorite Skis: BC: Åsnes Nansen Waxless; Groomed trails: Atomic Redster C7 Skintec, Madshus Terrasonic Wax
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Roelant » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:32 pm

Navigation for me:

Phone with mapping app (Norgeskart or Locus Pro with topo map layers pre-loaded).
Paper map and compass as a backup, ALWAYS when in less known terrane
GPS handheld unit with topo maps installed (opentopomaps are ok here). This used to be a Garmin Etrex 30X but I received a new Garmin Fenix as a gift and it has 50hours battery with GPS on, OpenTopoMaps installed for all of Europe (I manually added contour lines in overlay) in addition to being a great sports tracker watch. As the maps are essentially the same as on my Etrex (TopoActive), the latter became redundant. To actually browse the map however, paper or a phone with an opentopomap app installed are preferred.

lowangle al
Been liked: 3 times

Post by lowangle al » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:26 am

If I were looking for a new pack I would definitely look at the ones with storage built into the belt and straps. For a half day pack I don't think a full weight supporting belt is necessary.

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:57 pm

Another pack I use when I'm out for longer is the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Summit Pack. Basically a rolltop climbing rucksack made of Dyneema. Slim and streamlined, durable and waterproof. About 30L or so. Very basic but just right for carrying more stuff. I would use this for more mountain oriented stuff where I wouldn't want anything popping out of random open pockets or sleeves if I wiped out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk