Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99 (now Transnordic 66)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

Re: Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Telecat wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:30 pm
Im not sure how old these are. But here's front and back pics, they were mounted with voile mountaineer 3 pins, and my boots are alpina alaskas.
nice, these have the older "mountain crown" pattern, I like it much better than the glued-on plastic "offtrack crown" pattern they're using today. Much better gliding IMO, especially in dry snow.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:04 am

Well this thread has made me realize that my really old 215 Europa 99's are going to see some action this year....Know that they will NOT be used by me in tight steep woody sections....However will do some sweeping turns in moderate sections up in the Highlands which COULD see some snow soon....2000 and 2001 8th Oct. Teleking and I got our first crazy shots up there.....Pretty funny but good for laughs and pictures....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:03 pm

I do love the E-99.
I have the E-99 Xtralite- both waxable "Tour" and the scaled "Crown" (Offtrack Crown pattern).

They are wonderful- light, snappy and smooth.

The waxable E-99 Tour Xtralite is by far the most popular off-track Nordic touring ski in New Brunswick- it is the ski that my local store stocks every year.

My E-99 Crown Xtralite does not get as much use as I would like...
My spring skiing is dominated by very deep melting snow that refreezes at night and melts rapidly during April afternoons.
The E-99 Crown is very fast and grippy on warm wet snow- I get up to curing speed in no time on this ski-
HOWEVER- I have had too many close calls- almost breaking my leg and face- where this ski completely collapses on itself in deep melting-rotting snow.
It is particularly dangerous if i am travelling at speed and then hit a sunny patch of deep rotten snow!

The Fischer 78 is more stable in these conditions, but heavier and much slower than the E99 Crown.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:50 am

Was at Loveland pass with Telepole, sitting on an overlook of the ski we were about to do......Highway over there and there.....hardpack starting to warm up.....An Alpine skier got out of the car below us and headed down looking like the corn snow was getting there.....My e99's vibrating, waiting....popped into the Rotta's.....On the left side of the berm(?) the corn was not ready but the sunny side was and I told Telepole I had to go.....Gawd!!!!! Incredible....The most skinny slicing New Moon tracks....Corn flying then.......the skis began to shoot warning up to me....small signs of impending disaster.....the snow down here was beginning to fall apart....Elongated, sat back and tried to bleed speed....but.....no turns possible....locked in ad the snow began to collapse.....then the rotten snow dropped the skis down and my shins caught and......Superman flying....really flying.....man did I come down and it was wicked funny and laughing my mouth opened as the snow impacted leaving my choking and pretty well demolished...looking up saw telepole on his Tua's just starting....Did one turn....skidding on hardpack and he shot the hill....Doing about a hundred....somehow he avoided the perils I had succumbed to....Rotten snow can do that to you!!!!!......But the tracks....Heh....Over in Fresno(?) the locals had been checking our progress....They asked us if we wanted to head out to Beerthed pass...(?).....We wanted to but living up in Rolling's.in a car by the Railroad pass and our impending return to Vermont never did get out with her and friends...Bummer but.......the tracks!!!!! TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:57 am

Decent price for these! $196 sans shipping

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/ski/f ... rrency=USD

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:23 am

Telekid just got a set from Fischer....far as BC is concerned and opinions are like ,,,.....everybody has one....99's are the best in the bush ski out there.....Waxable are really fast....They slice most anything....and they are a great "survival ski".....bout anywhere....Good at downhill areas....Are any Nordic ski a great Alpine ski area ski....Nope!....But they can get a crowd going at ski areas...Yup!!!!! They cross water courses well....Go into a trough and the double camber lifts you into a weightless lift off....Nothing attached to the earth can give such a thrill as in Arcs......Spring corn....ohhhhhhhh.......closed ski areas?...Chuckle.....Going up....oh yeah....If you have super rotta pins the wings give you an anchor when slipping backwards......My 205's are a head them down and they tree slice wicked.....I bash these skis and they take it....Decade ago skied well over a hundred days on 99's and they delivered in hardpack....breakable crust....corn....different types of powder....best selling ski of all time and we the people get what we paid for....99's oh yah....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:54 pm

What about the Madshus Glittertind or the M55 (same ski)? You guys are raving about the E99, but I prefer the softer wax pocket of those skis. The Later Barnett was a great advocate of the Glitt... Just steering the pot!
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:54 pm
What about the Madshus Glittertind or the M55 (same ski)? You guys are raving about the E99, but I prefer the softer wax pocket of those skis. The Later Barnett was a great advocate of the Glitt... Just steering the pot!
Well, you can go write your own love letter, instead of insulting my girl!

Of course, I'm using this ski mostly to travel efficiently, not to turn... that would be the GreatGT's purview. If I want to turn I get on something else (powder 8's picture notwithstanding). If I was turning more maybe the Glitt would be high on my list.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Well Woods, the Glitts are pretty good at k&g too... Not exactly a turning beast, but *probably* best at it than the E99, —but I can't be sure since I never tried those ones on my feet... I just figured by pressing them together to realize that the camber was sort of high and stiff. Again, another disclaimer: it seems that there is a couple of version of those skis with different specifications regarding camber... Same with the Glitts; I have an earlier version with softer and lower wax pocket.

Sorry if I my words hurt you and/or your girl... :lol:

Know what? I have this dream: skiing the entire season with only skinny skis... I am a bit tired of the Big boots, big planks, Red Bull BS... I'll elaborate my new ethics of skiing someday... :roll:
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:33 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:23 pm
Know what? I have this dream: skiing the entire season with only skinny skis... I am a bit tired of the Big boots, big planks, Red Bull BS... I'll elaborate my new ethics of skiing someday... :roll:
You mean you've been drinking Red Bull all these years? That might explain a few things. Anyway, looking forward to a couple more sessions with you this winter, happy to know it will be on skinnies. Arc on my friend!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM