Skiing year round

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Reckie4life

Skiing year round

Post by Reckie4life » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:22 am

Stoked Telemark Talk is happening..... so here is my question......

Outside of rollerblades how can one simulate downhill skiing? Are there roller skis that can simulate?

Thoughts? hoping to training for backcountry skiing. Thanks
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Skiing year round

Post by Johnny » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:53 am

Hey Reckie, welcome to TT!

This is the question I've been asking myself for years... I get so bored in the summer, always looking for something to replace skiing... Caffeine and Whiskey are kind of fun, but it's still not skiing. Rollerblades /inline skates do suck. It has nothing to do with skiing.

There's always Roller Skis... I'd love to try a pair one day, but I'm not that much into 'skating'...

[video][/video]

Grass skiing is still cool... A lot of new manufacturers out there... I thought about it several times... But there would be no place to do it around here... (And I would probably kill myself...)

[video][/video]

But you know what? I found the answer. And it's so simple: QUAD roller skates. It's exactly the same movements as skiing. You use the same muscles. The more you push them, the more they carve, just like skis. Give it a try, you'll be amazed to see how you can get the same feeling and the same excitement as skiing. (Don't forget the helmet! : )

But hey, let's keep this between us. I wouldn't wanna see all those trend-following AT guys suddenly changing something really cool into something trendy. 8-)
DSC_5332.jpg
DSC_5329.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 am

Well, if you say so LJ, but the spinning ball kinda gets to me.. :lol: :lol: And I still can't skate backwards..
I did find that rollerblades/fruit boots were great out on our bike trail for leg conditioning and also I thought they were
a great way to stay in shape for ski skating, back when I did a lot of that..
Anyways, watching these guys edge, I wondered about the similarities to skiing ? ?? Here you REALLY edge (to turn) or simply fall on your face..but still, must be some transitions.. :D

Water, it's all about water.. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Raventele on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Reckie4life

Post by Reckie4life » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks Guys,
I have been doing some research on those http://www.nordicskater.com/rolclass.html. I have found the ones that are meant for classic XC might be the ticket. They can climb and can simulate the touring part of backcountry skiing. Just wondering if they ski well. I know that they don't make tele turns but I think that can be fixed with bindings.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 am

I'd be crazy about kite skiing... But again, it's always the same... I was born at the wrong place... 8-)

I have this project of building my own roller tele skis every summer. The thing about the existing roller skis is that they are just a bit too short to get the right position for tele. Also, in order to really simulate the carving aspect of skiing, you need 4 wheels on every ski. So you need a larger and longer ski to get the right center for perfect balance. One day I will have time for this...

You need the ability to carve to turn easily... I can't imagine skidding on any kind of pavement... See:

[video][/video]

Reckie4life

Post by Reckie4life » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:01 pm

So Love Johnny, those are just regular roller skis? I emailed a company and got this response:
"Roller skis simulate backcountry touring and uphill climbing, but not downhill carving. Let me know if you're still interested."

How did they feel during the turn? they make a few roller skis with three wheels. What about taking skate board wheels and trucks and adding them to a roller ski....thoughts?

I'm determined....

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 am

Just a thought, but it sure seems like if you have 2 lines of rollers per/skate-ski you are going to be much more stable on them with each line simulating an "edge"..less likely for the them to kick out from under you rocking edge-to-edge as the opposing lines (on each "ski" ) will at times be "on edge" also depending on your exact edging angle, and turning in parallel will not be so abrupt .. ??..(And that's basically why stock 4-wheelers beat blades ... ?? ) And the exact shape of the rollers/wheel obviously needs modification .. ??
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:17 am

I dunno how they feel, that's not me, that's not my video. I never tried any roller skis... But I can't see how it would be possible to either skid or carve on concrete with only 2 or 3 wheels.
What about taking skate board wheels and trucks and adding them to a roller ski
Exactly! That's why I wanna use quad roller skates trucks on real skis. Wheels are closer to each other than on skateboards. And I got soft wheels especially made for city streets...

I even got some pairs of kids skis... But this project has been in the works for like 5 years now... I hate procrastination... 8-)

Reckie4life

Post by Reckie4life » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 pm

I might have to join you in that venture.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 pm

I was about to ask you, but was too shy to do so... 8-)

Next summer I'll be on it... Start collecting trucks now...!