first NTN thoughts- 22 Designs Lynx

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
dnt_upton

Re: first NTN thoughts- 22 Designs Lynx

Post by dnt_upton » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:10 pm

I tried Lynx last year and then got another pair this year. The newer version is definitely more active than the older version. My money says 22D makes different options in the future because I know several skiers that absolutely love the new version's stiffness and some that find it way too stiff. I actually think that once you drop a few cms, it becomes very smooth, but I agree, that resistance holding the heel down is yuuge. On the other hand, I like that there is no dead spot before the bindings engage. I do wish it were a little softer at turn initiation, and maybe they soften up over time. For their weight, they're amaze balls.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Installed a shorter cable from 22 designs for my v2. Only had one claw grab in tour mode on sticky snow. Need more time on them to confirm that was the fix, however the binding is now even more stiff with the shorter cable.

I'm not sure how well the binding will work in spring conditions as I had problems with snow building up under the main plate causing the binding not to sit flat. This only occurred once so far in sticky snow. Also had problems with snow building up in springs that engage tech pins causing the boot not clip in for skin tranistions.

Hopefully, everything works out with this binding.

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Post by MSU Alum » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:34 am

voilenerd wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 pm

I'm not sure how well the binding will work in spring conditions as I had problems with snow building up under the main plate causing the binding not to sit flat. This only occurred once so far in sticky snow. Also had problems with snow building up in springs that engage tech pins causing the boot not clip in for skin tranistions.
Regarding snow build up underfoot, I've had good results from spraying a basic silicone spray like "Blaster" underneath the foot area and letting it dry. I suppose spraying it on the springs could help as well.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:15 am

I don't know if the Lynx has the same underfoot design as the Outlaw, but I recently skied the Outlaw and had no snow buildup...unlike my Freerides that have horrible buildup

JackO

Post by JackO » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:58 pm

voilenerd wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 pm
Installed a shorter cable from 22 designs for my v2. Only had one claw grab in tour mode on sticky snow. Need more time on them to confirm that was the fix, however the binding is now even more stiff with the shorter cable.

Hopefully, everything works out with this binding.
voilenerd and JVChap - did you guys manage to get some more turns in on the Lynx after all the trials and tribulations? How'd they turn out? I'm in the market for tele tech for next fall - Lynx is definitely on the list

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Jacko. I have gotten more time on them but honestly I've been skiing my Axls more then the Lynx. I'd wait till the next version comes out. The new version is suppose to have longer springs to deal with claw issues and new toe piece with stronger springs.

I do like the lynx and the way it skis. Big performance boost over Axls, but the binding just collects snow unlike any other binding I've skied. Even with anti stick spray it's a problematic and cause problems with claw and binding not setting flat. I live in the Rockies and mostly have dry snow and it's still a problem. Maybe the new version will fix some of its quirks. I'm waiting on some new parts from 22 designs that may fix my claw issues. Time will tell.

Ziggy
Ski style: Touring, telemarking

Post by Ziggy » Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 am

Just saying. .... 22D advise against using any spray product on their bindings.
Cheers from Down Under

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Wed May 13, 2020 9:50 am

Hi Ziggy actually 22 designs was the one that recommended the spray.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:04 am

I've been on the Lynx all spring, well since around March 1 and through May. They're fantastic. Yes, 22D should offer more active/stiff options to appeal to a variety of preferences and the longer springs will help solve the claw issues some have experienced (out of 30 days, I'd say my claw engaged while skinning 3 or 4 times). But overall, they have been close to as reliable as any binding I've used (Switchback and Outlaw). They're incredibly light, tour like no other, and are very powerful for the down.